Large Scale Central

Jail for Durango

Re; next Spittoon

From the mouth of the old dribbler; less dry brush, more dribbles. Stringy goop and splatters. Shiny acrylic mars black (tube of paint) 3D forms, knifed on, a tip of a #11 can make thin lines.

I doubt if anybody tried to clean it up for the brushed look…

Just my thoughts on accents to a great job.

I, too, like the Tru-Color paints but I have found I need to thin them a little bit, using their thinner.

Something else you might want to look at is Builders in Scale weathering stains. Their Silverwood stain has long been a gold standard and they now have several other colors, including redwood, which might work better than the bird guano.

http://www.builders-in-scale.com/bis/parts-weather.html

Greg

Thanks guys!

John: Thanks for the suggestions for my next spittoon. I knew there had to be a better way to do this so it looked more realistic. I confess that I have never actually seen a dirty spittoon and surrounds. :slight_smile: Living a sheltered life I guess.

Gregory: Thanks for the suggestion about stains. Have to look into that.

Jim Rowson said:

Installed and rusted the bars on the cell windows:

And finally started experimenting with adding bird guano on the top ridge board. Any suggestions on how to do this better? Rooster? :slight_smile:

Jim…No suggestions on how to do the bird guano better as I’m just a peckerhead and poop on nothing but the ground as my wings are clipped. However if you would have used 4d finish nails the bars would rust naturally. Did a quick whipped up castle model with my boy a few years back for a school project and the nails made a great gate. We used 8d nails cause it was a gate and painted them black.

The jail is looking great and perhaps you might want to put some chamfered edges on them posts and brackets?

Rooster: Nails! Great idea! Not going to rip out these bars but will “file” that one for later use. I love the castle. Very castlish!

Chamfering sounds good. I’ll do that.

Cheers!

You saw the pics and have the idea so now they are gone as I don’t want to jack up your thread.

(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

“thank you for watching the thriller: The vanishing Castle”

Korm Kormsen said:

“thank you for watching the thriller: The vanishing Castle”

By removing the pictures he has, in his own words, “jacked up the thread”. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif)

OK Rooster. Chamfered. Not the upper post which just seemed like it would look round. WDYT?

I love it ! Now do all 4 corners…and a little sanding then done! It’s the small details Jim. Are you planing on paint? If so that is a nice detail that can be picked out with an accent color. Some base blocks at the bottom will send them posts over the edge!

Not an expert and only my opinion as I model by eye

Rooster: What do you mean by “all 4 corners” ??? I did chamfer all 4 corners of the lower, larger part of the post. Is that what you are talking about? Sorry to be dense. Base blocks sounds like a good idea.

My plan is to not paint this puppy and let it weather to gray. Painting those posts seems incongruous to me.

Oh it’s just hard to see … got quarter round trim? It’s easier on toes.

Jim Rowson said:

My plan is to not paint this puppy and let it weather to gray. Painting those posts seems incongruous to me.

Ok!! I (personally) understand the era and location you are trying to depict …but just for fun I’m trying to acknowledge that simple details do make a difference. Since “no paint” lets think shadows and how that structure reflects to the summer sun in you area. You stated you have no talent to build in other threads. I seem to differ as I was once told!

LSC has and always will rule !

Thanks John, Rooster. I really appreciate getting advice (not that I take it all the time!). I’ll think about shadows. (edited for typos)

Broke out the good camera at dusk to get a picture of where I expect to put the jail: next to the train as it crosses the trestle to enter Durango. The spur heading off to the right feeds the stamp mill (to be built). The tender, water car, and hopper are all scratch built. I’m really enjoying that part of the hobby these days, thanks to a lot of help from folks here on LSC. (edited to get the acronym for the site correct. doh!)

Jim,

It looks great on your layout. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Nice job on the jail and in that scene it looks like it has been there for years.

Jim Rowson said:

Broke out the good camera at dusk to get a picture of where I expect to put the jail…

letting the last posts go ping-ponging between my two brain cells, i decided to nitpick:

the dark, wet chewin tobacco is relative new. spits would have about the tobacco brown of cigarette tobacco.

sofisticated posts conflict with the raw looking building.

but after seeing this pic, i must say, that more realistic spit stains possibly would be invisible.

and the posts give it more “personality”.

well done!

(close-up pics…)

Thanks guys!