Large Scale Central

Horovitz No Longer Editor at GR

I bought Garden Railways, from my local news vendor for a few years (2005 - 2011) but eventually found it less interesting. My railroad was built and up and running. I did leaned a few things about garden railroading and it was always pleasing to see what others had achieved in their back yards.

One interest was of course the adverts. There were many which told me what was available - particularly 1:29 scale - so I was able to get Aristo products through Bachmann in the UK at the time and there was always the helpful folk at Irvington. There was so much to see in the ads at the time. Aristocraft, Trainworld and the family in Illinois. There were also RLD and GScale Junction with other tempting items.

Reaching the point where I had more than enough stock I decided just to stick to Classic Trains which I find to be a most interesting magazine and particularly helpful to those who do not know much, or remember much, about the steam railroads that built America.

I think that the new editor should take a good hard look at other garden railroad magazines around the world, all of which appear to be growing. I regularly read the four magazines in which my company advertises; Garden Railways (US - Print), Garden Rail (UK - Print), Rails in the Garden (Australia - Print) and Garden Whistle (NZ - Digital only). I find the last three consistently more interesting than Garden Railways…but I am not sure why.

Garden Railways has much less content than the monthly Garden Rail but is cheaper with a subscription of US$5.50 per issue compared with US$6.25 per issue for Garden Rail.

Although the NZ digital Garden Whistle is very good, I much prefer to sit outside and read a print magazine rather than a computer or tablet screen.

Regards

Peter Lucas

MyLocoSound

Boomer K MOGWAI said:

The point remains, why is GR floundering where others succeed?

I think a lot of it boils down to the recession and the changes in the hobby that occurred either as a result of the recession, or coincidental to it. The magazine used to carry multipage ads for several major dealers that went belly-up when the economy tanked. It also used to have ads for major manufacturers that no longer exist. The hobby and the magazine both took a big hit when LGB and Aristocraft went belly-up. Ads are primarily what pay for the magazine. Losing all those major advertisers, at the same time that many people were also forced out of the hobby and dropping their subscriptions, had to take a toll.

Ray Dunakin said:

Boomer K MOGWAI said:

I think a lot of it boils down to the recession and the changes in the hobby that occurred either as a result of the recession, or coincidental to it. The magazine used to carry multipage ads for several major dealers that went belly-up when the economy tanked. It also used to have ads for major manufacturers that no longer exist. The hobby and the magazine both took a big hit when LGB and Aristocraft went belly-up. Ads are primarily what pay for the magazine. Losing all those major advertisers, at the same time that many people were also forced out of the hobby and dropping their subscriptions, had to take a toll.

Agreed, plus consider that GR as a hobby was booming in the years before the recession. From the late 1990’s to 2006, there seemed to be an endless supply of affordable products coming from every manufacturer. The downturn started before the actual recession. IIRC first were the big price increases announced by China, prices for everything seemed to double in a short period of time, this was soon followed by the bankruptcy announcement of EPL LGB in 2006, the sudden loss of one of the biggest manufacturers in LS was a body blow to the hobby, then the recession hit in 2008. It was the depth of this recession that did the biggest blow, many long timers and newbies suddenly found themselves having to drop out the hobby as belt tightening or worse, job and home loss, dropped the floor out from under them. It felt like withing two years the scale seemed to loose about 2/3s of those that had been there before. Today even though the economy appears better, and many things like LGB appear to have resolved themselves to a point, and that we have new players like PIKO involved, that the still much higher prices have prevented alot of people from becoming involved again. This always was a niche hobby, but now its a rather pricey niche hobby and that is just a reality that I don’t think Kalmbach has yet really to adjust too.

Also I never got Marc’s aversion to certain things, things that really showed in the content. The focus on “bigger is better” and seemingly endless inclusion of huge yard size layouts sends the wrong message. If you ain’t got and acre and a half and a trust fund, this isn’t the hobby for you. I always liked the British magazine “Garden Rail” because it focused on small compact and very affordable and very approachable layouts. Something Marc always gave the vibe he was adverse too…too “cute”. Even when GR did “small layout” contests, the results were often quite laughable, the first contest winning layout, while nice, was literally larger than the footprint of my house! I even pointed that out, something which I am sure got me put on Marc’s shit list. So all I can say is that I hope the rag will continue, I hope the new editorship will actually look at whats going on in the hobby and focus on ways to help make it accessible and help grow the hobby in today’s economic reality.

Vic Smith said:

Also I never got Marc’s aversion to certain things, things that really showed in the content. The focus on “bigger is better” and seemingly endless inclusion of huge yard size layouts sends the wrong message. If you ain’t got and acre and a half and a trust fund, this isn’t the hobby for you. I always liked the British magazine “Garden Rail” because it focused on small compact and very affordable and very approachable layouts. Something Marc always gave the vibe he was adverse too…too “cute”. Even when GR did “small layout” contests, the results were often quite laughable, the first contest winning layout, while nice, was literally larger than the footprint of my house! I even pointed that out, something which I am sure got me put on Marc’s **** list. So all I can say is that I hope the rag will continue, I hope the new editorship will actually look at whats going on in the hobby and focus on ways to help make it accessible and help grow the hobby in today’s economic reality.

I don’t see that.

I think that it is more that those with the bigger railways are more inclined to write of their railways and send in articles. I think that Marc is more into detail, theme, and coherancy rather than size.

BTW, the December 2013, 30th Anniversary Issue was the best issue that they ever did. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-money-mouth.gif)

http://grw.trains.com/issues/2013/december-2013

Todd Brody said:

I don’t see that.

I think that it is more that those with the bigger railways are more inclined to write of their railways and send in articles. I think that Marc is more into detail, theme, and coherancy rather than size.

Well, he sure wasn’t into operations! Or, maybe I just wrote the wrong sort of articles…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif) It’s all a moot point now - we’ll have to see what the next guy likes…though I would sure hate to take that job today. I used to subscribe to all sorts of magazines, but now, down to zero.

Bruce Chandler said:

Todd Brody said:

I don’t see that.

Well, he sure wasn’t into operations! Or, maybe I just wrote the wrong sort of articles…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif) It’s all a moot point now - we’ll have to see what the next guy likes…though I would sure hate to take that job today. I used to subscribe to all sorts of magazines, but now, down to zero.

No, he wasn’t into operations at all. The final straw for me was an issue with big “A large railroad designed for operations!” on the cover. The railroad featured had three or four overlapping routes, and not a spur track in sight. “Operations” meant “run a bunch of trains around each loop”, not, you know, operations…

I am still a subscriber to Garden Railways. While going quarterly is sad, it is a reflection of the times we are in with less manufacturers and less large dealers to support the magazine.

As for operations, I saw a real change. GRR tries to reflect the desires of its readers and many of the ops articles in the past did not go over well with its readership. I was thus surprised that they published 29 pages of material, included another 30+ pages of a slide show and linked to a host of other ops information. And even more surprised that it was all open for all to read and enjoy and not behind the firewall.

http://grw.trains.com/issues/2018/june-2018 (under greening your railway)

You want to see more operations. Editors like to hear from you so if you liked the operations stuff they published with the June issue, why not reach out to them and provide a favorable input.

The hobby is evolving and so to is Garden Railways. I am sorry to see Marc go as the editor of a magazine he created and wish I him well.

So while I am sorry to see Marc leave, I am also excited that we have a new editor and with it the opportunity to evolve in new directions. Who knows perhaps in the future Deb and I will write another article for them.

So I for one will continue my subscription and hope that the change will result in a rebirth in a new direction.

Stan

I Said:

Recession, shrinking hobby, ageing members, declining readership, fewer advertiser dollars, focus shift from gardening to modeling and cost of tea in China… all valid and accurate points.

Kalmbach does no operate in a bubble. Other publishers are having success. So what do you think is the magic formula?

Love him or hate him I for one find it hard to believe that Marc single handedly torpedoed the magazine with his editorial decisions. If that is truly the case then corporate has a large share of the blame for being asleep at the wheel and not stepping in years ago.

Could it be that GR is not the entity that has run its course but Kalmbach as a whole that is headed for the dinosaur graveyard?

Bob McCown said:

Bruce Chandler said:

Todd Brody said:

I don’t see that.

No, he wasn’t into operations at all. The final straw for me was an issue with big “A large railroad designed for operations!” on the cover. The railroad featured had three or four overlapping routes, and not a spur track in sight. “Operations” meant “run a bunch of trains around each loop”, not, you know, operations…

Well, a lot was operating, even though no one was operating. Ya know, its all semantics.

Boomer K MOGWAI said:

Could it be that GR is not the entity that has run its course but Kalmbach as a whole that is headed for the dinosaur graveyard?

Considering that MR, ToyTrains, Trains and Classic Trains all seem to be very healthy, I don’t think that’s the case. Classic Trains costs almost nothing to put out as its mostly historical. Trains is well supported by foamer submittals, and both MR and ToyTrains also appear to have healthy submissions and readership. I can only surmise that its the overall drop in participation in garden scales since the recession and the loss and near loss of two of the biggest manufacturers, Aristo and LGB, and the loss of traditional brick and mortar stores which were the backbone of ad revenue, that’s hurting the magazine.

Funny how Britain’s Garden rail magazine seems to be thriving…what are they doing right that Kalmbach isn’t?

I was going to drop GR this December when my subscription runs out, but may see if they do some things differently. I dropped MR and RMC years ago due to too much technology and not enough builds. GR has been headed in the same direction. Time will tell.

The Garden Rail magazine looks really good, and it’s monthly. But at $109/year…

Like others have said, paid membership here at LSC is THE deal!

Will continue with the magazine myself …Kinda makes me wish I would have sent some of my builds especially the Amtrak stuff to Marc for print but it’s the time to do such that turned me off. I really like old school stuff (as the electronic age moves faster than most/all can keep up with). I get excited when I have a new magazine in the “snail mailbox” bolted to my house which I can read on the back porch or on the shitter (by candlelight) without a battery or cord. Odd but simple reference… folks in my generation are all into old vinyl records and how they sound these days and spending money on that hobby?

While everyone was “bitching” about Lewis Polk when he was alive and the products he offered I was taking selfies with him. I make a point to see Mr. Ro every year at the shows and look forward to lengthy conversations with him. Yes, It is changing times all around! My son will never see a caboose on the end of train but I have ? My son doesn’t know what an old “bakelite” telephone ring sounds like but I do.

Yes Marc was an icon in my opinion with this hobby IMO and it’s a shame to see he him go. Perhaps we can gather together as a community and promote the hobby instead of cutting throats towards the manufactures,suppliers,or what we want to see in this hobby of G scale as it gets us no where?

Wishing Marc well on his new ventures and thank you for the magazine you created!

Rooster has left the building

I submitted an article about building my el cheepo tipper cars, he accepted it and asked for a photo…took it (several) today and sent it to him. He told me the same, i wished him well. I havent met him in person, but he seems like a good guy!

How come every time I click on the quote this tab, it now goes to a dead page?

Anyways, Well said Rooster!!

I let my subscription lapse as I really didn’t find much use for the modern stuff I prefer to build. I did like seeing the current ads. Back in the blow out price days it steered me to some great deals.

I would have loved to see Rooster’s Amtrak builds in print in that mag. I think that might have got me to look at Amtrak’s stuff much earlier.

Too much in the mag was about old era stuff and lots of stuff in larger scale. Many articles were for beginners and I lost interest. I think the best issue for me, was seeing a layout with a modern diesel service area a few years back. He even had glass cases inside his house with a shelf that he could drive the trains right out the door!

I am into several scales so I have to choose which mags to keep coming as I can’t afford them all. I’m on a tight budget so make it count or you’re out!

Joe Paonessa said:

Happened to me a few times too. If you try again it seems to work for me.

" Rooster " said:

I get excited when I have a new magazine in the “snail mailbox” bolted to my house which I can read on the back porch or on the shitter (by candlelight) without a battery or cord.

Same here, I enjoy seeing it in the mailbox, that makes it a special day. Same location for reading too, sans candle. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

Jon Radder said:

Joe Paonessa said:

Usually happens to me when I’ve highlighted text to quote, but works ok if none is.

Jon Radder said:

Joe Paonessa said:

If you “thank” someone for their post then try to quote it goes to a dead page. After thanking someone you must refresh the page then go back and quote or respond. Has happened to me a few times as well before figuring it out.