Large Scale Central

Horovitz No Longer Editor at GR

I enjoyed the magazine, However if it is going to quarterly issues I will drop the subscription. I’m sure the price won’t come down on it either…

Ray Dunakin said:

One thing, I’m REALLY glad that Bob Brown didn’t sell the Gazette to Kalmbach.

I’ll drink to that !(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Ray Dunakin said:

One thing, I’m REALLY glad that Bob Brown didn’t sell the Gazette to Kalmbach.

Amen! Ray.

I gave up my subscription to GR years ago replacing it with NG and SL Gazette. It comes out bi monthly just as GR does, has some advertising along with product reviews and of course is full of great articles for the narrow minded. I am not suggesting it as an alternative to GR for everyone but I would like to point out that if Bob could make it go as an independent then why can’t Kalmbach produce a mainstream mag of the same quality?

So a quick comparison

The simularities:

Both mags are headed by editors that are personally involved in the hobby.

Both mags have a long history with a loyal fan base.

Both mags have no real competition within their market.

Both mags are supported by the same core of manufacturers.

Both mags are owned by parent companies who are for profit organizations.

The differences:

White River Productions knows that Bob has the pulse of the readership and has kept him on as editor for as long as he wants.

Kalmbach is following the same pattern it has gone with its other publications. Put dollars ahead of quality and cater to the whims of the advertisers. (I know TOC will love that vindication)

NG Gazette is a sponsor of the National Narrow Gauge Convention. Bob judges and hands out a special trophy in the model contest. Publishes supporting articles year round in addition to the full page ad it sells for that years event. It does a follow up on the contest winners and clinic presenters including build and research articles.

GR shows up at the National Garden Convention and has a booth in the vendor hall. Their representative (for the past two years) could not answer any questions or speak to any issues other than to sell subscriptions. They run a paid ad for the event each year. Marc gave a clinic in Atlanta. I have never seen a preview or follow up article printed. (those of you with a subscription tell me if I missed it).

On a similar note, the NMRA publishes an excellent monthly magazine. It is aimed at the smaller scales but all of the technical articles and basic modeling ideas apply just as well to large scale. It has been delving into laser cutters and DCC programming. And of course it supports, previews and reviews not just the National Model Railroad Convention but many of the regional ones as well. All for about the same price as GR and NG Gazette…of course you have to be a member to get it.

For those of you who may remember Paul Jansen longtime contributor to MR Magazine 50s, 60s and early 70s. He once wrote a story about using Fir-Proof brand stove paint as a low budget option for steam locomotives. Floquils Paints (one of MRs biggest advertisers) was furious and pulled their advertising for almost two years. The editor told Paul not to worry about it. His article was in the best interest of the readers… as long as MR has readers…MR would have advertisers. Of course this was long before Kalmbach took over.

I for one believe that the problem is not Kalmbach’s various magazine staff…but their corporate business model. You see they think they are in the publication business when in fact they are in the imagination business. Kalmbach you are selling fun! Format is irrelevant: paper, digital, 3d interactive video game, Roswellian UFO brain plug insert…if the product is not fun and inspiring then you have no product.

i.e. I have told Bob McCown on multiple occasions that a membership to LSC is the best model railroad magazine subscription I have ever had.

There’s my $1.02 on this one.

Nice summary, Boomer.

I don’t subscribe to NGSLG yet, but I’ve been collecting their back issues. I’ll subscribe soon though.

Be interesting to make a comparison (GR - NGLSG) based on average pages per subscription dollar spent in a given year…

Cliff Jennings said:

…I don’t subscribe to NGSLG yet, but I’ve been collecting their back issues. I’ll subscribe soon though…

When I first started my railroad I’d buy the Gazette off ebay in lots, usually a few buck apiece. Now they’re like eight bucks and you can get the subscription cheaper, $6.50 an issue or something. I don’t know how many RR magazines I ended up with of all kinds, but I eventually went through them all and tore out the good stuff, put it in binders, and tossed the remains. I wouldn’t recommend my experience with collecting information and ideas to anyone, least of all a newcomer, although I did get quite an immersion introduction to the hobby.

I wish I had known about LSC back then!

To the best of my recollection Kalmbach has always published MR, so it didn’t go to hell as a result of Kalmbach taking over. They did go through some editorial changes in the 80s I think and as a result advertisers were favored over readers, The content from my point of view went downhill and like GR I found fewer and fewer articles of interest and ended my subscription in the early 90’s after being a loyal reader for nearly 30 years.

Same here John, I try to buy them in year-lots for ~15-20. But my list is getting to the point of mainly having holes to fill, and you’re sure right, those single-issue EB prices are nasty!

But I need to subscribe to NGSLG, regardless. Especially since the most recent years are very hard to find on EB, haha! And maybe their back issue prices are more reasonable than the EB pirates…

Gary Woolard said:

Kalmbach has fired Marc Horovitz as editor of Garden Railways, and will turn the magazine into a quarterly, instead of its current bimonthly schedule.

I have this from a reliable, inside source.

This action is apparently part of a company-wide “belt-tightening” which will include bringing all editorial staff in-house. The new editor is named Kent Johnson. The December issue will be the last under Marc’s editorship. As far as I know, most of the supporting editorial crew will remain with the magazine.

As luck would have it, I just renewed…

Bob, I just posted this on “the other site”. Hope you don’t mind the cross-posting; I thought folks should know.

And Dave, it’s public now!

-The Garden Rail Hobo -

Thanks for the heads up. I was just about ready to pull the trigger to renew my subscription now I can for go that as it looks like the price will not change with lesser issues. Later RJD

The Gazette and issues of its forerunners (1964-2014) is available on DVD for $139.95 + $6.00 P&H from Hayden Consulting www.bobhayden.com.

I had collected the whole set from issue 1 in '75 but will now dispose of them and use the DVD. Still have to keep the '15 and onward issues though.

Bruce Chandler said:

Heck, if you’re going to run a hobby magazine, you don’t really need to denigrate the efforts of anybody; instead you need to embrace change and try to INCREASE readership and participation; have a bunch of articles that show how cool this new technology really is and how YOU can do it at home! Please do not talk down stuff you don’t “respect” just because it wasn’t “the way” when you were learning (way back when).

To Bruce’s point, here’s what Marc said in April 2014 (sorry, it was longer ago than I remembered), after describing a “beautiful model” made by a guy using 3D printing / 2D cutting:

By using all of these new technologies, an extremely accurate model of a specific prototype was attained. However, in my view, something was lost, too. This model was, despite being assembled by hand (like a kit), essentially machine made…

I feel that models produced the old-fashion way are better… than those produced by modern technology… models built by hand have souls… [carrying] a part of their builders with them. This is the art [italics his] of modeling…

I’d rather see a truly hand-made model… over a beautiful replica that looks like it might have come off an assembly line…"

I wonder what he would have said when model trains started having electric motors or clockwork or pull strings installed, vs. live steam.

Anyway, not to beat a dead horse, but maybe a different attitude in this area would have helped. And, some changes in other philosophies like Boomer described.

CJ

Cliff Jennings said:

Bruce Chandler said:

Heck, if you’re going to run a hobby magazine, you don’t really need to denigrate the efforts of anybody; instead you need to embrace change and try to INCREASE readership and participation; have a bunch of articles that show how cool this new technology really is and how YOU can do it at home! Please do not talk down stuff you don’t “respect” just because it wasn’t “the way” when you were learning (way back when).

To Bruce’s point, here’s what Marc said in April 2014 (sorry, it was longer ago than I remembered), after describing a “beautiful model” made by a guy using 3D printing / 2D cutting:

By using all of these new technologies, an extremely accurate model of a specific prototype was attained. However, in my view, something was lost, too. This model was, despite being assembled by hand (like a kit), essentially machine made…

I feel that models produced the old-fashion way are better… than those produced by modern technology… models built by hand have souls… [carrying] a part of their builders with them. This is the art [italics his] of modeling…

I’d rather see a truly hand-made model… over a beautiful replica that looks like it might have come off an assembly line…"

I wonder what he would have said when model trains started having electric motors or clockwork or pull strings installed, vs. live steam.

Anyway, not to beat a dead horse, but maybe a different attitude in this area would have helped. And, some changes in other philosophies like Boomer described.

CJ

Wait, Cliff has no soul??? (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)Oh, sorry, your model has no soul? Hmm…so, my models have a soul??? (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif)

Heh. I still consider your mine a hand-made model… I know one heck of a lot of work went into it. You’ve got to change with the times - other wise stuff I build isn’t really hand made becuase I happened to buy the blades I used already made and sharp - instead of using a forge to make my own?

Re. souls Bruce, as I recall you used Magic Sculpt on acrylic, with maybe some plastic windows here and there. So I hate to break it to you, but…

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

[edit] I should say though that, from a manual craftsman’s perspective, having all the hard-won skills and knowledge Marc does, I understand where he was coming from in that article. I’m not a craftsman, and don’t have a lot of time for the hobby. So I have to rely on tools and skills I do know, and that means CAD and 3DP and (recently) laser cutting. Hopefully though, with each project, I’m getting better at the manual skills. And I sure respect those of Marc’s, and all other folks who have them.

And, I’m glad that GR is finally covering the “hi tech” modeling, in some fashion. In my mind, all the “techs” that we do use, can use, might use, should be covered, whether new or old or whatever. Like Bruce said.

Cliff Jennings said:

Re. souls Bruce, as I recall you used Magic Sculpt on acrylic, with maybe some plastic windows here and there. So I hate to break it to you, but…

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

But that got published (April, 2009) - so it must have had soul? (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-innocent.gif)

I really don’t get it.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cry.gif)

Nah, your building had / has tons of soul, Bruce!! I mean, your building didn’t choose to make itself out of acrylic, you did…

OK, another thing. It gripes me seriously when GR presents only one approach to a topic, yet announces it as the approach. For example, the recent “How to Make Outdoor Hard-Shell Scenery” is so full of [edit: very impressive, but to me very puzzling] things that I had to question whether ANY of GR’s composite staff experience was involved. The approach printed has many inefficiencies in concrete and substructure, and will have a hard time not looking like sheets draped over saw horses. The work of Dennis Rayon, Mike Mcl., and others in this field are no secret. Much work has been done on this “outdoor hard shell” arena, with myself being one of the “researchers”. Yet in a self-proclaimed “THIS is How To Do It” article, newbies were almost deliberately kept clear of those far more efficient and visually superior techniques.

My point is this: GR has had a consistent sales pitch as if all its potential readers are utterly ignorant. Lay Your First Track! Build a Building! Wire Your Own Layout! Make Outdoor Hard Shell Mountains! Build a Rot Proof Bridge! Yet the claimed comprehensiveness implied in the titles are bereft of substance. Conversely, NGSLG’s assumption seems to me the opposite: That the reader, as a knowledgeable modeler, and part of a larger community that shares its knowledge, is worthy of respect. GR’s attitude is that of a circus barker, hoping for the short-term sell; NGLSG’s is one of colleague and assistant, engaged in a long term dialog.

I see GR as fundamentally arrogant. But, there are good things that sneak in, like the work of Don, Nancy and Kevin. I always enjoy their articles. So I’ll be subscribing this next year.

CJ

Well, naturally I haven’t read the referenced article, but I suspect that it may be the first time the editor even heard of any way to make outdoor hard shell scenery, so perhaps he thought it was cool. I suspect that an editor could log on to LSC and get a dozen great ideas for an article every week.

The problem is that if you aim to educate newcomers to the hobby, pretty soon they’re educated, so they just move on. I don’t know what the answer is, but I suspect that forums like LSC is where the growth is at. Trying to produce a magazine in this day and age has to be a giant frustration…

Gary Buchanan, FOG said:

To the best of my recollection Kalmbach has always published MR, so it didn’t go to hell as a result of Kalmbach taking over. They did go through some editorial changes in the 80s I think and as a result advertisers were favored over readers, The content from my point of view went downhill and like GR I found fewer and fewer articles of interest and ended my subscription in the early 90’s after being a loyal reader for nearly 30 years.

Gary is correct. Kalmbach began publishing MR in 1934 followed later by Trains.

So one of two things is true: GR, MR and the other Kalmbach publications are a product of past and current corporate policy as set forth by a group of out of touch bean counters… Come my brothers let us storm the ramparts and hang the office monkeys with ropes made from their own entrails!!! …or the editor is fully unfettered to make any decision he /she sees as fit and single-handedly bares the burden for the results. Marc is therefore the guilty bastard and should be boiled alive in Bachmann smoke fluid oil for bringing down such a wonderful publication.

The point remains, why is GR floundering where others succeed?

Tom Bowdler said:

…I had collected the whole set from issue 1 in '75 but will now dispose of them and use the DVD. Still have to keep the '15 and onward issues though…

Before you do, I need to replace one issue that accidentally got trashed a few months back when it was left on the floor. I’ll have to get you the issue number once my office is re-assembled after replacing the flooring in the house. (Can you say “fun times?”)

But back to the topic at hand…

DISCLAIMER: I do not speak for Kalmbach Media or Garden Railways. I am merely a contributing editor whose job it is to stress out his editor by continually pushing deadlines until the last possible minute.

First, I was as shocked and saddened as anyone to receive the e-mail from Marc letting us know of Kalmbach’s decision. I can’t say I was surprised by it. It’s the business. I’ve been involved with print and TV journalism for 25 years. These “belt-tightenings” are increasingly common. We had a round here last Winter, and will be “hubbing” certain sales and technical operations out of other locations in the coming year or two. Our local newspaper (Denver Post) has cut its staffing by two-thirds over the past two years, laying off many long-time journalists. It’s the nature of the beast right now.

Fact is, ad revenues are down everywhere. Print, TV, Radio… the money isn’t there the way it used to be. And we’re an industry that lives and dies by ad revenues. Social Media has completely changed the way information is shared. It’s a brave new world, and the traditional media outlets are still looking for ways to adapt. Remember the Trainworld ads that ran for 6 - 8 pages in MR and GR? Trainworld’s still there, but they’ve got 1, maybe 2 pages of advertising. One or two pages is all that’s needed to drive readers to the web site where they see everything else much more easily and prices can be adjusted faster. Direct e-mail marketing to existing customers drives them back to your site with the click of a mouse button. The major manufacturers aren’t buying ads like they used to, either. LGB, Bachmann, USA, Piko… one page each? Used to be 3 or 4 pages spread throughout the magazine. The smaller manufacturers aren’t buying large ads in magazines. Manufacturers who have new products aren’t calling attention to them in their magazine ads, opting instead for word-of-mouth and Facebook shares. If the ad revenue isn’t there, the money to pay folks and print the magazine isn’t there. Without going into specifics, it’s safe to say that GR is not the only magazine in Kalmbach’s line-up feeling the pinch. It’s as across the board at their offices as it is across the entire industry. Media is changing.

What does the future hold? Who knows. Shake-ups like this can revitalize a business or kill it. I’ve seen both. I haven’t had a chance to speak with the new editor (see above reference to getting new floors in the house), so I don’t know what his vision for the future of the magazine might be. I find it telling that many of you had dropped your subscriptions long before this development. That’s a reflection both on the content of the magazine which needs to stay “fresh” to long-time subscribers, and to the influence of social media platforms which provide easy, immediate, and interactive access to new ideas. That’s the struggle of traditional media in the digital age. When I look at digital magazines like Model Railroad Hobbyist, I see something that may be a blueprint for the future. Still even with that magazine being on line and free, I don’t read it as much as I read the traditional print magazines. Interesting times, indeed.

For me? I intend to continue my relationship with GR and Kalmbach. “The show must go on,” as I’ve been taught over the years. Colleagues come and go in our professional lives all the time; it doesn’t change the passion we have individually for the job we each do. I’ve known Marc for much of my life. His passion for the hobby will continue. I’ll miss working with him on a professional basis, certainly, but no doubt his passion will continue to inspire my own.

Later,

K

Kalmback was for many years run for and by hobbyist interests. corporate strategies have emerged In more recent times IMHO due in fact to the past success and profit making endeavors. this attracts investors on the scene who’s only interest at times is to make a Profit, which is the root cause of downsizing staff , # of pages dedicated to useful articles etc.

AL P.

Near Christmas 1933. Al’s on the left.

Well it had to happen, long gone are Aristo, Ridge road, and many others that advertised in the mag.

Also the shrinking hobby gives less subscriptions and magazines do have to follow the money trail.

Myself I have not gotten much use out of GR as I have gotten lots of experience on what I do with my trains,so I did not renew.

Also I see a full page ad missing from yet another advetiser!!

So, I see GR becoming part of model RR in the future as $$ get tighter.