Large Scale Central

Gauge 1 reefers needed....

Here in UK, and around the world, whenever Gauge 1 is mentioned, it is implicit that the subject is 1/32nd scale. That is why the Gauge 1 Model Railway Association is called the Gauge 1 Model Railway Association, and not the 1/32nd scale Model Railway Association.

Gauge 1 IS 1/32nd scale.

tac

Member #3642 of the Gauge 1 Model Railway Association.

tac, well yes, but that is because the words scale and gauge are used interchangeably, but they shouldn’t be. They do have different meanings.

MDC/Roundhouse made 1:32nd equipment and now Piko is re-releasing the MDC/Roundhouse line. I have a couple undercoated (unlettered) MDC.Roundhouse reefers.

I understand where you are coming from, as, indeed, I should having been a train modeller for the last 68 years. The makers themselves add fuel to the flames by calling stuff 00 gauge and so on, which does not help. And calling stuff G Gauge or even G scale is so far off-track as to be on a different planet. We ALL know where THAT one came from, right?

I seem to recall, in spite of my memory not being what it once was, that the MDC model moulds were bought off the then-defunct Delton, and are somewhat cartoonish in their representation, rather than scale models as we understand them, Jim. Dr Wilf and his PIKO brand is simply carrying on a tradition, common in plastic modelling, of shifting the moulds around to supply demand.

tac

OVGRS

tac Foley said:

Here in UK, and around the world, whenever Gauge 1 is mentioned, it is implicit that the subject is 1/32nd scale. That is why the Gauge 1 Model Railway Association is called the Gauge 1 Model Railway Association, and not the 1/32nd scale Model Railway Association.

Gauge 1 IS 1/32nd scale.

tac

Yes and no

1:20.32 Scale is also Gauge 1.

Stan

Bye.

tac

Largescale, G scale - two of the most irritating denominations that are used in train modeling.
if we throw in gauge or “guage” (as many americans write) nearly everybody gets lost.
there is NO G-scale! nor any Largescale! these words embrace more than a handfull of scales and dozens of gauges!
the expression “rubbergauge” shows the average modeler’s helplessness, when confronted with scale and gauge.
for my own modeling eforts i made this compilation of various sources concerning scale and gauge.

one of the few times, where being a German makes me feel really superior. we got our things clearly categorised and measured:

Americans don’t write “guage” on purpose, those are spelling errors… just like “loose” instead of lose, or “peaked interest” instead of “piqued interest”…

Please don’t propagate spelling errors as American conventions.

Greg

I think that “peaked” vs “piqued” interest is as much about a misinterpretation as a mispelling of the term.

If someone’s interest is “piqued,” it is aroused. But I think many people think that the term is “peaked” as in it is aroused to the fullest (i.e., apex) and at the peak of arousal.

You can interpret any way you want, but google “peaked interest” You will see that all the references say to use piqued. If you want to get technical, peaked is a verb, and “peaked interest” woul require that peaked be an adjective, not a verb or adverb, which is what peaked is.

All these mistakes are homophonic mistakes… using a word that sounds similar or the same. I forgot the “moot point” vs. “mute point” as a common mistake.

Greg

I worked with a guy who would mistake moot for mute. When I explained the difference his response was that “No, the point is mute meaning that it is silent.” (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-yell.gif)

So if “The mountain is peaked.” (as opposed to rounded), peaked is a verb? (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-yell.gif)

tac Foley said:

Bye.

tac

Sorry my friend, I knew that you are from ‘over there’ and Ga 1 means 1/32. I was not offended.

I did not think it was my job to force you to speak American.

Good Luck with that reefer.

I’m guilty… I recently wrote something “peaked my interest”. In retrospect I looked it up, “piqued interest” would have been the correct statement. I must have missed this in school and subsequently in life as I don’t recall knowing better… In fact the words pique-piqued are new to me. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Michael

No guilt, this started from a common spelling error being interpreted as a custom in the US, which it is not.

It is REALLY easy to type guage instead of gauge… Was pointing out there’s a lot of spelling errors, but no big deal, the normal courteous mode is to ignore them, we get the point.

I took exception when Korm stated that Americans spell gauge as “guage”…

That’s all and nothing personal to anyone.

Greg

I have always under stood that “Gauge 1” was synonymous with 1/32 scale equipment.

Gauge; (noun) in railroad terminology is the distance between the inner edge of the railhead, i.e., broad, standard or narrow gauge rail.

Scale; (noun) the proportion that a representation of an object bears to the object itself.

Michael

tac Foley said:

Gauge 1 IS 1/32nd scale.

tac

I beg to take issue with this statement. TAC, and compatriots may INTERPRET gauge 1 to mean 1:32 scale, but that is an interpretation only. That said, there a many of these interpretations, such as ‘Xerox’ is still used interchangeably with ‘photo’ in the copier market place To hear someone make the statement "Please get me a Xeorx copy of that … ', although not necessarily correct, is ‘understood’ to mean ‘Please get me a photocopy of that …’.

Gauge 1 is 45mm gauge track…ONLY. There is no scale attached to Gauge 1. Reviewing the G1MRA Standards pages here http://www.g1mra.com/resources-links/standard-guidance I find no specific attachment of 1:32 Scale and 45mm track. I find a Fine Scale standard http://www.g1mra.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/ScaleOne32-Standards.pdf referencing track and wheel dimensions, but again nothing specifying a Scale of 1:32. An implication could be garnered from the ScaleOne32 document, but it is an implication only, not a statement.

My Tuppence…

Greg Elmassian said:

Americans don’t write “guage” on purpose, those are spelling errors… just like “loose” instead of lose, or “peaked interest” instead of “piqued interest”…

Please don’t propagate spelling errors as American conventions.

Greg

Bump for punctuation

tac Foley said:

I understand where you are coming from, as, indeed, I should having been a train modeller for the last 68 years. The makers themselves add fuel to the flames by calling stuff 00 gauge and so on, which does not help. And calling stuff G Gauge or even G scale is so far off-track as to be on a different planet. We ALL know where THAT one came from, right?

I seem to recall, in spite of my memory not being what it once was, that the MDC model moulds were bought off the then-defunct Delton, and are somewhat cartoonish in their representation, rather than scale models as we understand them, Jim. Dr Wilf and his PIKO brand is simply carrying on a tradition, common in plastic modelling, of shifting the moulds around to supply demand.

tac

OVGRS

tac, I don’t think that they are cartoonish, but they defiantly aren’t fine scale. The garb irons are molded into the plastic body shell as raised details.

I didn’t mean to start an argument about scale and gauge. But I end up explaining that difference, when I get to discussing our track gauge to folks not familiar with the hobby. In the smaller scales, the name delineates the scale and the gauge, like HO. But that isn’t true for our gauge/scales, and that confuses folks. So, interchanging 2 different terms (scale and gauge) is a bit of a sore spot with me.

Guys, guys, guys…

This debate has gone on countless times before, here in North America, and all over the rest of the World.

To try to change the culture of what has been chiseled in stone, for those in Great Britain (They seem quite content and understand it) is pure waste of time, better spent debating or being critical of those “Crude” looking offset shank, body mounted couplers in David’s pictures above…!!!

Even the rather “Crude, toy-like” cars would actually look passable if the Kadees were properly body mounted, without those ridiculous offset shanks…

This last sentence should start a REAL debate, that just might motivate some towards improvement, or start a hate campaign against this old fart called …

Fr.Fred………!!! Do it with a smile…!!

I have looked thru a lot of pictures and videos and cannot tell much of a difference in trains with hook and loop couplers and those with body mounts , so it all comes down the what the person wants, same with cars , I dont mind a 1:29 car next to a 1:24 car hook and loop or Aristo knuckles