Large Scale Central

East Coast (ECLS) Show missing?

I’m a little bit new to all of this, but I feel like I see this a lot with convention sites… I go to http://www.eclsts.com/ And it is relatively hard to see where the convention is, and I see no mention of the dates on the fron tpage. What gives with people making it so awkward to get informaiton about their shows?

Strange, I just went there, the rotating pictures at top show “York Convention Center”, and below are 3 pictures and one of them is google maps with the location.

Do you see something different? See attached screen shot below. If you did not see this, there may be something wrong with your computer.

Greg

It does have the location on the front page, but I had to go into “Admission and Hours” from the Show Info menu, to find out the dates/times.

In black and above the green logo is the main menu maybe try the SHOW INFO tab. And welcome aboard(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Doug Moore said:

I’m a little bit new to all of this, but I feel like I see this a lot with convention sites… I go to http://www.eclsts.com/ And it is relatively hard to see where the convention is, and I see no mention of the dates on the **** tpage. What gives with people making it so awkward to get informaiton about their shows?

Unfortunately, it’s all too typical. I experience the same thing trying to find out if a restaurant is open for lunch!

Anyway, if you come, stop by the Drag and Brag on Friday night at the Wyndam and meet all the peons!

It is reasonable to expect to see a box with; the date, times and location on the front page. Yes it is all there with a click or two, but if it turns out those dates and times don’t cut it, then one could see this exercise as wasted time. The times are ok one page in, but for a quick glance the dates are important, more so than the map(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif). Woof, yes that’s my dog in this.

Greg Elmassian said:

Strange, I just went there, the rotating pictures at top show “York Convention Center”, and below are 3 pictures and one of them is google maps with the location.

Do you see something different? See attached screen shot below. If you did not see this, there may be something wrong with your computer.

Greg

I can’t comment on the map right now, as its giving me a chrome error (they seem to be using a third party service to show a google map??), and I know some of the rotating banners say York (rotating banners are a whole pet peeve of mine). But I think a site that is truly trying to draw people in should start simply with “York, PA March 30- March 31.” I know I am nitpicking, and it probably has to do with the fact that I do this for a living, but most people come to a website and if they don’t see what they need in a few seconds they leave. https://www.nngroup.com/articles/how-long-do-users-stay-on-web-pages/

The East Coast Train Show

2018 SHOW

TWO-DAY TICKET ADULT – $15
CHILDREN UNDER 12 FREE

ONE-DAY TICKET ADULT – $10
CHILDREN UNDER 12 FREE

​Friday, March 30, 2018 - 9am-5pm
Saturday, March 31, 2018 - 9am-4pm

I’m not saying I can’t figure out when and where it is, I’m saying they make it more difficult than it should be when that is the primary information they should be conveying. Just your standard internet nitpicker and complainer.

I do agree that the first page should be location, date and time… but I have been to so many conventions in my time, it’s typical that this information is not always on the first page. (Been attending conventions for business since 1975)

I’m in the electronics industry, and the common technique is to get you excited about going first, and then tell you it’s far away in an expensive city at a bad time ha ha!

So, I wasn’t upset or surprised that everything was not on the first page. Also, when I came to the hobby, so many people just said “York” it took me a while to find out where and when. The people putting up the site are “regulars” so to them, often they don’t even notice that the “average joe” might need the information better organized.

Regards, Greg

p.s. the site works perfectly on Chrome on a PC, so you might want to look into your Chrome version, and if you have plugins/extensions blocking things.

Greg Elmassian said:

p.s. the site works perfectly on Chrome on a PC, so you might want to look into your Chrome version, and if you have plugins/extensions blocking things.

More likely the government agency I work at was blocking something

They call them Filters…I hear Ya !

I also do not believe in all the doom and gloom so many in the hobby profess these days. While some shows are lighter attended than in the past. One just has to attend one of those Great Train Expo’s or Worlds Greatest Hobby on Tour to see the future is brighter than one might think. At both events in Indianapolis, it was wall to wall people and familys with kids. At most shows, I can go without my headset hearing protection(very sensitive hearing due to being autistic), but at these shows, I had to wear it to cope with the noise. I had to take several breaks at dealers tables I know where I could step behind the table and sit down and get out of the packed crowd. This year, the local large scale dealer, sold pretty much every LGB starter set and Lionel set he could afford to buy this season. So, while there has been some contraction in the market, a scaling back so to speak. Remember that G scale took a bit hit with the failure of the old LGB, followed closely by Aristocraft closing up. Recovery will take time and the new products from USA and Piko are evidence of this, along with what products we are seeing out of MLGB. Also, seeing much less in the way of second hand LGB/large scale come thru the local shop in recent months. But that seems to come in spurts, a bunch of stuff, then a dry spell for awhile. Outside of the shows that are more promoted to the entry level modeler/family with kids, there are much more “grey” hair guys than not. So keep up the positive promotion of the hobby and keep the negative stuff to ourselves. We want others to have a good first opinion of the hobby and those that enjoy it already. Focus on what we have, where we can find it be it new or second hand. Many times I have helped newbies track down a certain engine or roadname as many do not always know where to look beyond ebay or a few more well known dealers. Mike the Aspie

Mike Toney said:

I also do not believe in all the doom and gloom so many in the hobby profess these days. While some shows are lighter attended than in the past. One just has to attend one of those Great Train Expo’s or Worlds Greatest Hobby on Tour to see the future is brighter than one might think. At both events in Indianapolis, it was wall to wall people and familys with kids. At most shows, I can go without my headset hearing protection(very sensitive hearing due to being autistic), but at these shows, I had to wear it to cope with the noise. I had to take several breaks at dealers tables I know where I could step behind the table and sit down and get out of the packed crowd. This year, the local large scale dealer, sold pretty much every LGB starter set and Lionel set he could afford to buy this season. So, while there has been some contraction in the market, a scaling back so to speak. Remember that G scale took a bit hit with the failure of the old LGB, followed closely by Aristocraft closing up. Recovery will take time and the new products from USA and Piko are evidence of this, along with what products we are seeing out of MLGB. Also, seeing much less in the way of second hand LGB/large scale come thru the local shop in recent months. But that seems to come in spurts, a bunch of stuff, then a dry spell for awhile. Outside of the shows that are more promoted to the entry level modeler/family with kids, there are much more “grey” hair guys than not. So keep up the positive promotion of the hobby and keep the negative stuff to ourselves. We want others to have a good first opinion of the hobby and those that enjoy it already. Focus on what we have, where we can find it be it new or second hand. Many times I have helped newbies track down a certain engine or roadname as many do not always know where to look beyond ebay or a few more well known dealers. Mike the Aspie

Well put.

Mike, Not being negative but I also think most of these other shows are sat and sun and cater to all scales etc. I’m sure that’s a big reason why it’s so much bussier. You are getting everyone from all the scales and hobbies. Plus most people work and kids have school on Friday. I wonder if the show would be better off doing a weekend. Even sat a lot of people are busy in the mornings playing catch up.

This show used to be Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The attendance was so bad on Sunday that is why it was dropped off. We have been participating in this show for I believe what is going on 6 years now, there is a line waiting to get in on Friday, Saturday morning, there is barely anybody waiting to get in and by mid day Saturday. Most of the attendees have already left and started heading for home.

Here here Nico(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

AND being on an Easter weekend doesn’t help either.

I agree that Easter weekend is a less than desirable choice and one reason that the Sunday attendance sucks. Most folks go to chuch or other special family gatherings. The Friday hours mostly cater to the retirees that no longer work or those that are able to take the day off or work four 10 hour days and are off that day like I am. Unfortunatly, I am still at a place in life where I cannot afford to travel that far for a train show of any kind. Keep in mind that G scale in general is a niche of the larger hobby. So a dedicated show to just that scale was iffy at best even during the heyday pre LGB/Aristocraft collapse. To sustain the show now, they needed to add the O gauge and up crowd, which is still much larger than the G scale group as a whole. Just looking at what the 2 major brands(Lionel and MTH) are still offering each year, proves this fact. Lots of new offerings from both, where as G scale is barely above flatline for new items right now(atleast in the form of American prototypes). Having a show the same weekend as a holiday of another kind is not the best idea. Localy one of the better tractor shows is the weekend as Father’s day. I m trying to develop the garden tractor side into a yearly gathering of Wheel Horse owners, but it is proving difficult as many have other plans with family on that weekend. I myself have always wished they would move these huge G scale shows to the midwest, like in Indianapolis, so as to be more centrally located. But then I guess those on the two coasts do not want to drive here any more than I can drive to either coast. So I make the best of it, enjoying the pics you all that do attend post and buying my G scale online on FB marketplace, ebay and Zionsville Train Depot down near Indy. Speaking of shows, our live steam G scale group will be setting up at the Noblesville IN show this Sunday and running live steam. I will have my newly built Roundhouse Billy equipted with a SSP Slomo there for his first outing on the rails. Still lacking head and tail lanterns(on order from the UK). Mike the Aspie

Yeah, unfortunately, people come early to get the deals, and then most of the rest of the show seems to be looky-lous, although nothing wrong with people looking, most are not buyers. Greg

Nico Corbo said:

This show used to be Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The attendance was so bad on Sunday that is why it was dropped off. We have been participating in this show for I believe what is going on 6 years now, there is a line waiting to get in on Friday, Saturday morning, there is barely anybody waiting to get in and by mid day Saturday. Most of the attendees have already left and started heading for home.