Large Scale Central

Ditch lights

I recently got a GP38-2 and am giving it the RailPro makeover and that includes doing ditch lights . Ordered some LED!s from Evan Designs (www.evandesign.com) since they come with resisters installed and shrink wrapped. Next I dug through the scrap drawer for some old truck mount coupler tangs with round ends , I believe they were USA trains.

drilled a hole big enough for the lights and then a thick plastic washer was cut for the eyebrow/ shades
a coupler tang piece from an AristoCraft streamliner car gave up a piece for the backing box for the light housing, it’s thick enough to cover the hole and using a drill I gave it a pocket for the wires. using the back side of the light before I added the lights I cut off the tang and a small piece of the channel of the old tang to give a lip to go on the front and down about 1/8-1/4 “ to help hold it in place,drilled holes at an angle since it was close to the vertical edge of the frame and the box and the lip add extra gluing surface to the whole thing

Looks good to me and total expense was $4.50 for the 2 lights. Not bad for a couple of hours in the office making a mess after I just “cleaned up”the desk!
Next is the RailPro install which as you can see is about halfway done

2 Likes

Very creative. Nice work Pete.

Shane

Mik would be proud! Great re-use of some junk.

Thanks Shane and John, you both are masters compared to my 10 ft rule work!

Very clever Pete! I like it! Except for the blue LEDs - not a fan of those.

I am taking notes. Need working ditch lights for the GP9s

Dan, I like how bright they are, I have had both on my locomotive and like how they light up the layout a little better.
Devon, if you or anyone else needs more pictures , let me know.

Yes, more pics please. Brilliant idea, one I hope to replicate!