Large Scale Central

Building the Kittatinny Mt RR

Now that’s nice, Jose.

Bob McCown said:

Now that’s nice, Jose.

Ya what Bob said!

I like Jose’s plan but I would have some concerns about the length of the tunnels and placing necessary tunnel access portals. Also it loses Shawns trestle in the corner.

Very nice, I like the mountain. but not so much the tunnels. maybe keep the mountain and instead of tunnels you could have gulches to run the track through the mountain.

Vic Smith said:

I like Jose’s plan but I would have some concerns about the length of the tunnels and placing necessary tunnel access portals. Also it loses Shawns trestle in the corner.

Vic, it doesn’t necessarily loose the trestle, it just doesn’t show it. Also, there are workarounds for the tunnels. Shorter tunnel, or midstream clean-outs, that sot of thing.

I like the design. Add an Inglenook, and I’ll be ecstatic! :slight_smile:

Vic:

As Steve said, the trestle can be placed anywhere on the layout; I think the decor is best left to Shawn.

As for the tunnels, an access trap can be installed on the top of the hill or, as Ron suggested, part of their length can be replaced by canyons.

José Morais

Headmaster of the Lapa Furada RR

I echo the nice job, Jose’.

Shawn said: “I figure have another 20 years before i have to worry about the knees.”

I hope I’m around for another 20 so I can time him. You never know when they go. It’s just one day they don’t work properly anymore!

Shawn…
As for the tunnels, an access trap can be installed on the top of the hill or, as Ron suggested, part of their length can be replaced by canyons.
You could go Disney and build a hollow MOUNTAIN with chicken wire etc. It could be your Man cave!
Access to the two tracks would be easy, just try not to step on them!
(https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcReJxseOh4TJFpjkGqi0Jf69rTlLzd4tC6ysd42R-0kWdMP6dfF)

Just a thought!

Lou Luczu said:

I echo the nice job, Jose’.

Shawn said: “I figure have another 20 years before i have to worry about the knees.”

I hope I’m around for another 20 so I can time him. You never know when they go. It’s just one day they don’t work properly anymore!

Just ask RG III

Jose that track plan looks great and would work well. I can get the outer line up and running first and then add the mountain and track inside after the winter. Hmmmm now you got me thinking…
Im working through the weekend and will be off again on monday and tuesday. Monday Im getting 4 yards of top soil to bring the low end up. I dont have to bring the walls up too much more. I was able to get a little done last night. If all goes as planned, I should have the area built up and starting bending the track to fit the area. This will give me a better idea on what will work. Im leaning towrads Jose plan and its not far off from Kens original plan. Great ideas guys.

Wow! I can hardly believe that you’re moved in and unpacked and settled enough to make such rapid progress on this.
I’ve never been able to think about trains so soon after a move. Way to go, Shawn.
I’d like to comment on the topsoil. In my experience and research, topsoil used as a fill isn’t too successful. It tends to compress significantly, in time losing up to 40% of its volume. About half of this will occur during the first year and the rest over the next 4-5 years. To maintain the level you want, you will have to top it up all this time. Most unsatisfactory.
I think you’d be wiser to buy soil with a high mineral content. Sand would be best, or sand over gravel, filling in the spaces in the gravel.
To prevent washout, hold it back with rocks and cover the sand with soil and plant stuff ASAP.

Very nice plan, José . What I really like is the ability to easily change direction of train - that was one of the things that caused my own redesign many years ago.

Personally, I’m more than just a bit leery of tunnels, but you could eliminate both of them and replace those tunnels with some cuts - they would add some really neat looking scenery and still keep the reverse loops without having all of the issues normally associated with tunnels. I can only imagine the pictures you could take. Or you could just do what I did; instead of a tunnel I just have some holly trees and some azaleas that act as a view block.

John Le Forestier said:

Wow! I can hardly believe that you’re moved in and unpacked and settled enough to make such rapid progress on this.
I’ve never been able to think about trains so soon after a move. Way to go, Shawn.
I’d like to comment on the topsoil. In my experience and research, topsoil used as a fill isn’t too successful. It tends to compress significantly, in time losing up to 40% of its volume. About half of this will occur during the first year and the rest over the next 4-5 years. To maintain the level you want, you will have to top it up all this time. Most unsatisfactory.
I think you’d be wiser to buy soil with a high mineral content. Sand would be best, or sand over gravel, filling in the spaces in the gravel.
To prevent washout, hold it back with rocks and cover the sand with soil and plant stuff ASAP.

Thanks John. Im very anal when it comes to certain things. When I get something on my mind I don’t rest until its done. (shut up Rooster) I have all winter to get the house done Lol…

I have been updating my web page on the progress.

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Shawn…
You could go Disney and build a hollow MOUNTAIN with chicken wire etc. It could be your Man cave!
(https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcReJxseOh4TJFpjkGqi0Jf69rTlLzd4tC6ysd42R-0kWdMP6dfF)

Just a thought!

Now that is funny Sean, a REAL MAN CAVE. build it big enough it could be used for train storage or even a work shop!

Really enjoying this thread. It is a lot of fun to plan a new RR. I too really like Jose’s plan.

In building my Little River RR layout I used a plan with a lot of tunnels.

I “daylighted” them with the eventual construction as the prototype Little River RR had no tunnels. I ended up with a layout with a lot of bridges and several gorges.

So the modification can work.

Doc Tom

Very nice layout Tom

Hey Shawn on your old layout I remember you had a camp for the loggers and great scenery to haul the cut logs through but did you have an end destination for the logs like a mill? Will your new RR have one?

Todd I had the logging camp, a siding with a spar tree for the logging and a sawmill at the yard area. The new layout will have a very similar setup and the same atmosphere, lots of trees and plants.

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Shawn…

Just a thought!

Sean he wants a mt. not a volcano http://norfolkfireworkvolcano.com/2013/09/23/the-birth-of-a-norfolk-volcano/