Large Scale Central

Building the Kittatinny Mt RR

Looks like a good spot shawn, as was mentioned earlier any thought of having a possible second loop maybe mirroring most of the outer loop?
I really like having two trains running and would have suggested a automated reversing track, but I know you are more into live steam and that wouldn’t work out to well!
Have fun!

I would highly recommend NOT going under the deck, unless you have free and easy access to fish out anything that might stall or derail under there, also live steam / wooden deck.

Dave Taylor said:

I like where this is going, my only suggestion would be to put a link between the inner and outer section to create a reversing “Loop or a Wye type” section. just to the left of the word “deck”.

I made that same suggestion to him in the email I sent. I didn’t include one on the plan, but it could be added easily enough.

I had to restrain myself from adding sidings and industries in all that empty space in the middle…:wink:

(http://gold.mylargescale.com/vsmith/Shawns%20layout%2001.jpg)

Shawn since you asked, here is my take on your plan. At the arrow I would realign the switch from a LH to a RH and begin the turnout as shown. This will give a much smoother transition thru the turnout, As it was you have bad jerking problems thru the curving with your steamies at speed as that had a reverse S set up, this way its either a straight shot onto the logging spur or a smooth curve around the main loop. I also tweeked the logging camp spur to give it a more indirect transition to the camp, I also added a few spur opportunities for latter on if desired, these can always be done at a later time

I’d also add another big fiddle yard in the upper right hand corner…(along the front of the deck)…:wink:

Im loving all the ideas. The reverse loop and Y is a good option and I will probably do it. I want to keep it as one loop. I had a second loop on my other layout and it did not get used much. Plus I want to keep a backwoods atmosphere. The more track added will take away from that. Guess I should have mentioned that earlier. I had thought about going under the deck by the stairs but then the issue of fire going under it might be a problem especially if their are dry leaves.
I like the plan Vic. has. It allows for development on the right side for a camp etc… and the lower left for the yard. Then the rest could be all woods and dry stream beds.
I really like where this is going. I cant wait to get the area built up and leveled. I just hope mother nature doesn’t beat me to it.

are you done yet

Whatever you go for Shawn I am sure, if your previous railroad is any guide, it will be great.

I expect, with winter fast approaching, you will build the basics and then develop your line much further, as time and weather permit.

There are always great things to consider, in pipe dreams: some are practical other not so. Many here will be watching the thread with interest.

1. Steam up tracks/yard… How high above ground will they be, or will you be digging a pit to lower the 1/1 humans. You aren’t getting any younger, no matter how you feel today. I know these things. It seems like only yesterday that I was riding my bicycle twenty miles round trip to work, and running three miles at lunch. Now, a good brisk sit just about wears me out. Getting down on your hands and knees to light a fire that doesn’t want to be lit gets harder to do as time passes. Plus, any old pharts who might want to run their live steamers on your layout will be discouraged if they have to bend over too far.

2. Sidings, whether you use them or not, add visual interest to your RR. I recommend that you use some.

3. I realize that there are confirmed loopers, but have you ever tried an afternoon at, say Ken’s, or Bruce’s? I loose interest after watching the locomotive chase its caboose for more than three times, and my mind starts to wander, usually with disastrous results for that $2000.00 brass caboose on the end of the train in front of me… ;). Try moving freight cars with a purpose, who knows, you might enjoy it.

Dont listen to that old phart, Roundy round is the way to go:)

Shawn,

You need a super tight radius twisty curvy inside loop just for Crickets! :slight_smile:

Scott

I have to agree with Scott.

Steve I have tried operations and found it is not for me at this stage in my life. I want to relax and watch the trains go roundy round for me. I never get bored with watching my trains. Dont forget live steam is a different animal… I found I have no patience and its too much thinking while doing operations. Plus I like to tinker in the layout when the trains do their roundy round thing.

Unfortunately the highest point will be around a foot high. I would love to bring the layout 3ft high all around but the amount of money I need is too much. I figure have another 20 years before i have to worry about the knees. I could always build a pit somewhere down the road or when the knees and back get too bad I can then build up. By then the kids will be grown up and I will have more money.

Scott you might have given me an idea for something in the middle. Maybe I can host a yearly Cricket steam up.

Honestly Shawn

I believe you are thinking too much. Just do what you do!

BTW: Did you put your trike away and I want my cabin further away from civilization this time!

Maybe a 32 mm loop inside?

Cale Nelson said:

are you done yet

Cale, guys don’t like hearing someone say that.

Well knees are funny things. I can get down just fine to work on copiers, trains, weed or whatever. Its the getting back up that is a real struggle sometimes. I am only 46, I can’t imagine what it will be like when I actually do get old.

As for roundy roundy, As a memeber (#12) of the IARRR, I wholeheartedly endorse roundy roundy operations, and I too putz with things while I have 2 trains chasing each other back and fourth across the yard.

David Maynard said:

Cale Nelson said:

are you done yet

Cale, guys don’t like hearing someone say that.

Actually Maynard round here it’s ok with a certain crew.

:wink:

Rooster I forget to take the trike in. Now Im in trouble. I think you will like your new homestead when its built. It will be very remote away from everything.

David its all good. “is it done yet” is very common here. Just like shut up Rooster… Its all good.

Ron I could do a 32mm mining line or something. I sure hope I can get track down before winter hits. Otherwise its going to be a very long winter for me.

By the way Cal is your layout done yet :wink:

Layouts are Never done…

Hi all:

Shawn, one of the things I admired about your previous Kittatinny RR was its sense of reality and purpose: a simple track that seemed to go from somewhere to elsewhere and not an unrealistic jumble of track with no clear purpose. So, point to point operation seems to me to be the way to go.

That said, I also enjoy sitting back and just watch the trains go round and round. So, deep down I’m a roundy-roundy man, but I like to disguise it as much as possible.

The track plan I come up with is essentially an outside loop with optional reversing loops in each side. So, several operating options are possible: traditional point to point, round and round, or continuous point to point using the reversing loops.

The loops can be used to conceal the trains, while they go “far out the layout”.

All the track jumble is hidden by the heavily wooded Kittatinny mountains, the reason of being for the RR. In time, a branch line can weave its way up to the mountain top – a highly sought tourist attraction.

All the curves in the plan are 10’ diameter and all the points are Aristocraft large radius. There are no S curves - between opposite curves at least 2’ of straight track have been inserted.

José Cruz Morais

Headmaster of the Lapa Furada RR