Large Scale Central

Build and Add a Grain Elevator

Ken Brunt said:

I hope Andy’s taking notes. He needs a bunch of these on his layout…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

He need to talk to Richard Smith. He is the one that got me in to this things. Easy and fun to build, but takes more time than I like.

Paying attention to what??? QQ’n

Noel, it looks fantastic… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Noel

You better chain that building to the benchwork when your asleep Andy is looking at it just a little to hard!

Noel Wilson said:

Ken Brunt said:

I hope Andy’s taking notes. He needs a bunch of these on his layout…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

He need to talk to Richard Smith. He is the one that got me in to this things. Easy and fun to build, but takes more time than I like.

Yea, most projects seam to take more time then I would like. But then again, it is a hobby, an enjoyable way to spend time.

David Russell said:

That will be a good addition to the layout. I talked to the owner of a grain elevator here in town to get permission to measure some of the building if needed. It would be a nice addition to the layout if not for one problem. The silos would be 9’ tall if built to scale. So I understand you scaling the building down. The prototype elevators most places would be too tall for our layouts.

Cool project. That truck dumper is really neat.

This sounds like a great project, but all pictures have been deleted, so No idea what anything looks like. Bummer

Hey Noel, can you send me some pictures of the grain elevator? The spaces are blank on my computer.

Ron Hill said:

Hey Noel, can you send me some pictures of the grain elevator? The spaces are blank on my computer.

Guess when Frt. shed was moved or ?? Lost photo on most post I made. I did find some of them. Hope this helps.

Basic start build with 3-D Printer Windows & Doors that Dick Freidman made for us. The Grain tube are 6 inch PVC and Structure is about 3 foot High and 6 foot long.

Primer and added loading/unloading building.

Trucks Hyd. lift.

Frt. Car loading & storage area.

Installing on a back drop behind our Storage shed.

Night verson after wire up and installed.

Very cool. I love the lift table. They use them around my neck of the woods in some of the paper pulp plants to unload wood chips. Cool and unusual thing to model. I like when people add unique elements.

Hey just looking again at some of the details. Ladder and railing look like hardware cloth which is a great idea and I am looking at the fill chute for the loading shed, is that metal electrical conduit?

I love your use of materials.

Devon Sinsley said:

Hey just looking again at some of the details. Ladder and railing look like hardware cloth which is a great idea and I am looking at the fill chute for the loading shed, is that metal electrical conduit?

I love your use of materials.

Devon S. Ans. to the cyl. on the Truck lift, they are difference sizes of old wind chimes to look like Hyd. cyl’s. so when raising the lift up, the cyl extends out from large to small sizes. Put a hole and insert a rod thru the sice of the bottom of each size cyl so they don’t come apart when extending them. So the smallest cyl may be over a foot long.

Thanks for the comment. Lot more detail than these photo’s show now. Added a winch sys. to pull the closed hopper up to each loading bunker. Back drop is now painted with a scene on it.

Very Nice job Noel, I have a customer in my business, a sand blasting wholesaler I want to recreate on my RR, so Grain elevators are sort of a similar to how I want to model his business. Thanks for digging up the pictures, I really appreciate that. When mine gets built I will give you credit somewhere on the building. Thanks, Pete

Pete Lassen said:

Very Nice job Noel, I have a customer in my business, a sand blasting wholesaler I want to recreate on my RR, so Grain elevators are sort of a similar to how I want to model his business. Thanks for digging up the pictures, I really appreciate that. When mine gets built I will give you credit somewhere on the building. Thanks, Pete

No problem Pete L. I learn my lesson after photos disappearing twice on sites. Now going to make back up on other sites if not able to keep on a Zip, Flash or External hard dr.

Glad able to help and share as that what the hobby is all about.(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Noel,

after loosing pics from “free” space and from forums, i rented some space, where i store all my pics. (and link to that place for showing in forums)

for the “belt and braces” aproach i have a mirror of the webspace on my PC. so even if my provider looses my pics, plus his back up of them, i can restore all with a simple upload to any webspace.

costs me about us$120 per year.

Korm Kormsen said:

Noel,

after loosing pics from “free” space and from forums, i rented some space, where i store all my pics. (and link to that place for showing in forums)

for the “belt and braces” aproach i have a mirror of the webspace on my PC. so even if my provider looses my pics, plus his back up of them, i can restore all with a simple upload to any webspace.

costs me about us$120 per year.

Good idea Korm… I have now a Trig External Hard dr. now for main hard dr. back up. So now just upload a copy of a photo to a server when needed. Guess we learn the hard way at our age and if photos are lost on a posted site, it there lost.

Got any current pics, Noel?

Steve Featherkile said:

Got any current pics, Noel?

Steve F. … Now sure photos on what? We been working on a few other projects off and on. Two days ago, a buddy and I had to pull out the Swing bridge. It lost power to open and found under the bridge where one of the micro limit switches was, that a Diode came un-soilderd in some shrink tubing… Now painted again and working fine after some alignment adjustments, but even with waders on …that koi pond was darn cold in that 3 foot section.

Will get some Photos later on. Some new upgrade it has now.

Ummmm… This thread is about your grain elevator. You’ve indicated that you made some improvements. Got any pics of the improvements?