Large Scale Central

Build and Add a Grain Elevator

Real nice start pap!

Here is the Truck lift. More work than I was think it would be. Got to remember… this is like most of our building at a 10 scale range. So not going to to a lot of detaii on them… It would take for every and this project is taking longer than I fig. on.

Note: There is small wire that locks in the raise when in up position. Still need to build the road way around the lift to countersink it.

Again Ken B… Tk’s for the time getting us the photo of the Lift. Sure helped a lot.

Now back to the building on small detail windows, railings and lighting…

Then try to get all three pc. together as one unit to screw to the back drop. We still don’t even have the track siding in yet.

Wicked Cool there Noel!

Nice work, Noel… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

There is small wire that locks in the raise when in up position. Still need to build the road way around the lift to countersink it.

There’s 2 levels to the pit. First level is for the lift to sit on, the inner, deeper one is for a sump and hydraulic lines and such. But that’s if you want to get carried away on modeling it…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

I think you’ve caught the spirit of how it works. Looks good!

They use to have one of those on the Lynn way in Lynn For Boyd’s Potato Chips.

It was cool to see a whole truck up in the air like that.

Andy do you remember that?

Sean McGillicuddy said:

They use to have one of those on the Lynn way in Lynn For Boyd’s Potato Chips.

It was cool to see a whole truck up in the air like that.

Andy do you remember that?

Yes, Sean… I remember, I am that old… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-sealed.gif)

Ive seen that for a truckload of wood chips in at a small wood fired power plant in new Hampshire

Noel,

That’s a great model. I love incorporating the unusual on our layouts … Can be a conversation starter…

Here’s a similar concept as a solution to getting grain out of boxcars …

Not only picked up, it also shakes the car! I wonder how cost effective that was? I only post it because it’s similar.

Your truck lift will probably be copied many times, such is flattery!

John

Some detail and Wiring done and ready today to set in place after rest of back drop is attached.

This thing has LED’s lights all over it. Even a blinking Red LED so the Air Ships won’t run in to my storage shed… LoL.

That is very cool, Noel!!! Can’t wait to see the finished model!

-Kevin.

John Caughey said:

Noel,

That’s a great model. I love incorporating the unusual on our layouts … Can be a conversation starter…

Here’s a similar concept as a solution to getting grain out of boxcars …

Not only picked up, it also shakes the car! I wonder how cost effective that was? I only post it because it’s similar.

Your truck lift will probably be copied many times, such is flattery!

John

John… I see them use large vac. hoses but never lifting up a box car. Think of the cost to build one… Wow. Next they’ll just process it, bag it or box it up in the box car and re-ship it to stores with out unload a box ca. LoL.

Chuck Inlow said:

Nice Noel. Where did you get your windows from? I’m in need of some for a barn my wife wants for the layout.

Howard Maculsay from LA sent me this add. This might help. Noel

Colorado Model Structures has an 11
Piece Door and Window Set available for $5.95/ea plus shipping.2 doors - 3.5in x
1.525in , 4 double windows - 2in x 2.5 in, 2 single windows - 1in x 2.5in, 1
each of the following; .868in x 2.525in,.875in x 2.45in,& .625in x 2.2in.
They are molded from high impact polystyrene (styrene).

Gee, that almost makes me not want to make my own winders.

That kicks ass!

Nice work pap!!!

Here is where we mounted it to the back of our Dutch Storage Barn. Fit in that space pretty good for us and adds another siding.

Had to move the main tracks out a bit for more clearance.

Used a small pc of Rebar to look like spiral piping off the Elevator. Still gets plugged due to being a steel bar… lol

Still have to get the wiring hooked up yet and a some small details.

Sweet! Inspiring, too.

Nice job. At the elevators here in Nebraska, they just pull in and open their chutes on the bottom or the back.

Jerry Barnes said:

Nice job. At the elevators here in Nebraska, they just pull in and open their chutes on the bottom or the back.

Jerry B. Got you covered. My truck bottom dump loads are located on the back side of the building. Its hidden. lol, Sorry .

Here are finished photos as much as I’m going to do for now.

Train crew is waiting for worker to finish closing hatches to make a pick up.

Grain employees are waiting for empty box car to be spotted.

A grain truck is being unload while whrs. crew is waiting for the empty Box car.

After it cools off a bit, going to hook up the lighting.

Was a fun project and glad it done for now.

I hope Andy’s taking notes. He needs a bunch of these on his layout…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)