Large Scale Central

A inexpensive battery RC setup?

I saw that one too Joe. It doesn’t have a current rating so I assume it’s quite low. It also has effects which might really confuse or damage a motor load if switched on in error, but for LED control it looks interesting.

Right in the title that last one says 5-24v 12A. Now that thing looks interesting. It looks very small. And after reading Dave’s write up on the other for reversing couldn’t it be wired into a relay where when you turn it off then turn it on it again it will switch to the other direction?

Dave whats your thought on that one? Has a wider voltage range where for a small critter you could run 7.4v. and it also has a 12A rating though I have no idea why we would need that.

Oops - Missed that. I still have some concerns about the “effects” but for under $2 you could experiment with a spare motor.

And speaking of electrical experiments, check this out if you want a laugh: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10156173747740702

Oh, at that point he should take up a less painful hobby. Something like knitting, coloring books, or skateboarding into walls.

that was the funniest thing I have seen in a long time… I’ve seen similar people attempt an R/C installation with very similar results!

Greg

I couldn’t watch the whole thing, too painful. I’m not even trusted with a light switch.

I have to laugh (now) because I had two very electrifying experiences. I added a large addition to my house (750 sq ft) and that required an upgraded panel to give me more breaker slots. Well while wiring the panel I thought I had killed the main (the first clue that it was hot should have been the drop light that was plugged in so I could see in the panel). I was tired, I was in a hurry and I was not at all careful. I drug one of the 8 gauge wires that was wiring my new shop sub panel across one of the primary leads and the neutral bus bar. Needless to say there was a very bright flash, a shower of sparks, and a loud bang. Scared the fecal matter right out of me and my wife who is stone cold deaf heard it (I think she saw it more than heard it) and came running to find me sheet white standing there with the wire in my hand with a blank stare. A few months later we had another fun experience, When the new panel was put in the power company had to cut my primary right at the weatherhead. I share a transformer and they didn’t want to pull the fuse and kill both houses. So the new panel was installed and wired up and he crimped the old and new wires back together. Well a couple months later the crimp gave way and one of the primaries pulled loose and touched the neutral and all hell broke loose. Big flash, flickering lights then nothing but darkness and flames as it caught my roof and picnic table on fire and finally burnt all the way through and dropped to the ground.

Me and power do not get along.

Devon Sinsley said:

Dave whats your thought on that one? Has a wider voltage range where for a small critter you could run 7.4v. and it also has a 12A rating though I have no idea why we would need that.

Devon - I ordered two different units for experimentation - I’ll see what they can do when I get them.

Item #1 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/361162873382?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT - specs:
Voltage: 5-24V
Max Load: 12A (144W)
Size: 42x12x3mm
Distance: 40 ft.

Item #2 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/200984307947?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT - specs:

• Supply voltage: DC 12-24V

• Size: L45W13H3mm

• Weight: 55g

• Connecting Mode : Common anode

• Max power output: 3X4A

Could be more interesting for our purposes as it has 3 separate channels (for 3 colored LEDs - 4 amps per channel) - my thought is to use one (or two in parallel?) channels for motor power and the 3rd channel for a direction relay -

Stay tuned!

dave

I love it when smart people are set to a task(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Joe Zullo said:

This one also looks promising…

http://www.amazon.com/Lerway-Controller-Wireless-Control-R106/dp/B00AHU2U7O/ref=pd_sim_267_1/192-5135919-8735141?ie=UTF8&dpID=41J1o0HiEEL&dpSrc=sims&preST=AC_UL160_SR160%2C160&refRID=17XNGD2BMXYPN9687C40

*I just ordered one to play with. I’ll let you know how it goes.

This is the one Dave Bodnar is playing with - hopefully one of the channels can provide reverse. I just orderd one for $1.76 and $1 shipping from Amazon.

PFM.

Yeah if that little guy can be made to have forward and reverse at 7.4v that would great for little critters. It will be great for very small locos at 12v.

If you order the $1.76 one be sure to order a battery too - it doesn’t come with one. I didn’t see the battery spec, but from the pictures I found of the same remote on a different unit it looks like a CR2034 - a very common Quarter size lithium battery. You can get them real cheap in 5 packs on Amazon, or pay over $5 each in a retail store.

P.S. I’m glad you got a kick out of the video. I’m pretty sure it was fake, but still funny. The same guy has a tutorial on how to make an electric guitar. A 110V lamp cord wired direct to the strings. I didn’t hear any sound from the guitar, but the guitarist made some interesting sounds.

Daktah John said:

If you order the $1.76 one be sure to order a battery too - it doesn’t come with one. I didn’t see the battery spec, but from the pictures I found of the same remote on a different unit it looks like a CR2034 - a very common Quarter size lithium battery. You can get them real cheap in 5 packs on Amazon, or pay over $5 each in a retail store.

P.S. I’m glad you got a kick out of the video. I’m pretty sure it was fake, but still funny. The same guy has a tutorial on how to make an electric guitar. A 110V lamp cord wired direct to the strings. I didn’t hear any sound from the guitar, but the guitarist made some interesting sounds.

Which video?

Amazon’s Q&A says “The battery is a CR2025”. I ordered a 5-pack for $2.76 and free shipping.

Daktah John said:

The Amazon ad says it comes with a CR2025 (in the questions and answers). Boy Jon, you are missing a lot! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

I have had my share of power issues too. In VoTech I was working on a television. In order to work on it the instructions told me to discharge the CRT. Simple, put a clip lead on the chassis, and a long screwdriver, and then get the end of the screwdriver under the rubber electrode cover on the CRT. Only I couldn’t get it under that cover, and as I was pushing I leaned in and my belly contacted the chassis, and my hand slipped off the handle of the screwdriver, onto the shaft of the screwdriver, knocking the clip lead off just a moment before the screwdriver went under the rubber cover… The next thing I remember is standing on the other side of the room, shivering uncontrollably, with the class gathered around me, screwdriver and clip lead on the floor halfway between me and the workbench with the TV on it. One of my classmates picked up the screwdriver and clip lead, handed them to me and said “Do it again.” I politely declined.

Pete Thornton said:

Joe Zullo said:

This one also looks promising…

http://www.amazon.com/Lerway-Controller-Wireless-Control-R106/dp/B00AHU2U7O/ref=pd_sim_267_1/192-5135919-8735141?ie=UTF8&dpID=41J1o0HiEEL&dpSrc=sims&preST=AC_UL160_SR160%2C160&refRID=17XNGD2BMXYPN9687C40

*I just ordered one to play with. I’ll let you know how it goes.

This is the one Dave Bodnar is playing with - hopefully one of the channels can provide reverse. I just orderd one for $1.76 and $1 shipping from Amazon.

Pete - the unit pictured above only has one channel - it is unlikely that it can be used for reverse without some additional components - the 2nd unit that I purchased is designed to control sets of Red, Green & Blue LEDs (RGB) - each set of LEDs has its own, independently controlled power output -that is the one that has some potential for easy reversing.

dave

I ordered one of those also.

Hmmm… Maybe this is the one Dave B is playing with ($14.00). 4 outputs connect to the LED strip.

And there is this one ($7.99.) Guess I can wait until I hear what they do.

I searched Amazon and found another half-a-dozen types at prices from $7 to $55. Guess it’s a booming industry.

On my favorite chinese site, I found this - screw terminals and 6A per channel.:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC-12-24V-18A-Wireless-LED-Controller-RF-Touch-Panel-LED-Dimmer-RGB-Remote-Controller-for/32448822244.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.87.SPImLH&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_1,searchweb201644_4_79_78_77_82_80_62,searchweb201560_3