Large Scale Central

A inexpensive battery RC setup?

Dan Pierce said:

In Austrailia Greg Hunter used automotive key fobs to run his RR at the Sandstone and termite RR. Check out his website.

Greg has tried to keep costs down as the freight and duty taxes make everything very expensive in the land down under.

He did have his RR published in Garden Railways (1999 issue I believe).

Greg has done some cool things on his RR and he has a very clever approach to solving problems and making the most of little like using the key fobs.

A few years back he was on Cape and actually came to visit my RR. He is a good guy.

David Bodnar said:

Todd - the most inexpensive radio control you are likely to find may be this one:

http://www.tmart.com/8A-Wireless-Single-way-Dimmer-Black-12-24V_p124102.html

It uses a simple LED lighting control unit and a small hand-held RC transmitter - as you receive it you don’t have a reverse option but adding that is described on my web page here: http://www.trainelectronics.com/Articles/RadioControl-LED-8Amp/index.htm

I had a great time working with these little gems and have used them very successfully on my outdoor railroad when I just want to run a small train around the yard. The ones I built up had no trouble with a Shay pulling a number of cars.

If you are OK with no reverse the hole thing can be done for less than $10.00 plus batteries.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

dave

Ive used some rc hobby esc’s that use PWM and they produce a “hum” noise, are these quiet or can you hear the pwm noise from say 5-10 feet away?

Mark - I have never heard any hum or buzz from this unit - that may be different with different engines but they have been A-OK for me.

dave

Thanks, i’m going to order a couple for some critters to see how they do then $5 on ebay factory direct from china with shipping

Dave I was reading through this on your website and it all sounds fun to try but one problem your speaking a foreign language. I would love to try this on an up coming build project and it is a cheap experiment. The dead bug set up seems the easiest for me to understand. When and if I decide to do this can I email you and have you walk me through it. Most of that method seems straight forward enough.

Devon - I would be happy to help you — Keep in mind that you don’t have to do much to use it with an engine that never reverses - the reversing is the challenge!

dave

David B - Thanks for posting that. It looks like a nice solution for a critter. On my railroad I would need the reverse to get around the wye.

My question is of size. I see the size spec on the link you posted, but wonder if that bulky case and spring connectors can be eliminated. Lots of times devices like this are “potted” into the case for circuit security masking case/connector removal all but impossible.

EDIT: Never mind! I clicked on your reverse mod link and there was my answer in a picture. Thanks!

I am with Daktah on this one, I would have to have reverse. But it all seems easy enough with a little coaching.

Gee, if Yunz had a roundy roundy…

Sorry, I just couldn’t resist.

Seems to be discontinued?

I’ve got one of these that I use to clean my track for my track powered trains. Works good, and for quite a while! I hooked some LED lights to my rear car that pick up battery power through the track. When the track is dirty, the lights flicker really badly. After a few turns around the loop, the light is steady and I know the track is clean enough for real train operation.

Hmm a flickering light, track cleanliness indicator. Now there is a cool idea.

David Maynard said:

Gee, if Yunz had a roundy roundy…

That was in the works. Not quite a loop, but a continuous run with reverse loops at each end. Indoors it is built, but at the outdoor terminus the grade proved to be too much. This was the plan, but when I started to build it I couldn’t get it under 7%…

And I even got serious doing a test with PCV roadbed…

But two summers ago when I calculated out the crossing clearances, I just couldn’t get the height I needed without a grade that was unacceptable. The new idea is to head into the back yard on raised bench work.

Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion.

Jerry Barnes said:

Seems to be discontinued?

Well that would suck

Bought one to try from EBAY (Hong Kong supplier ). $3.50 post free to UK… Will see what I can do with it in a speeder I am building…

Just a thought … Could two of these units (on different frequencies)…stripped down to bare boards be fed to one motor (opposite polarities of course) with diodes preventing feedback to each other to prevent “blowing” of boards?? …then the motor could be reversed?

Simple remedy for non electronic minded types?

All over eBay from 3ish for bid to 8 bucks buy it now free shipping .

I got two off Amazon with free shipping.

Jerry Barnes said:

I got two off Amazon with free shipping.

And under $5 too. Can’t beat that with a stick.

http://www.amazon.com/JACKYLED-Single-Dimmer-Controller-Control/dp/B007B5V54M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1450631362&sr=8-3&keywords=led+single+color+dimmer

This one also looks promising…

http://www.amazon.com/Lerway-Controller-Wireless-Control-R106/dp/B00AHU2U7O/ref=pd_sim_267_1/192-5135919-8735141?ie=UTF8&dpID=41J1o0HiEEL&dpSrc=sims&preST=AC_UL160_SR160%2C160&refRID=17XNGD2BMXYPN9687C40

*I just ordered one to play with. I’ll let you know how it goes.