Large Scale Central

4-4-0 Kalamazoo Bash

As I suggested in another post, at another place; The newer, Hartland 4-4-0 model has better looking drivers and are direct replacements for the Kalamazoo earlier model. The Hartland axles/gears are also direct replacements…I know because I have swapped them out on two of mine.

Fred Mills

Yes, I got a Heartland motor block with drivers for my Kalamazoo bash.

I am kinda stuck right now. trying to get the steam chests to fit and still allow the pony truck to swivel. I am seeing if the bachmann cylinders will fit and if the will work I need to make the tops a little smaller. I will post some pics when i get a chance to take some more of my progress… Thanks for looking…

Moving along or I guess back to the steam chest/pistons. I am gonna see if the Bachmann cylinders will work. They will have to be cut down and narrowed to fit.

These were notched to allow them to slide under the from mount. However I want to make them one piece again so when it is disassembled it will go back together with out any fuss…

After fitting these and making some changes changes, I think the section on top of the cylinder needs to be a little smaller. It just looks too big.

This is where I am currently at. What do you guys think…

Hmm I wonder…I think Mik would have gotten a big kick out of this project, being all of the different stuff I am trying to use. … Most of it is just from parts box and stuff I have had around for a long time…

That “Thing” on top of the cylinder is called a steam chest; it is where the valve is located, one on top of each cylinder. When you get to the rods and valve gear, don’t forget the valve gear, which you can easily simulate, as it should be a Stephenson link motion, where there is very little besides a rod and bell crank on the outside of the frame. Take a look at the B’mann 4-4-0 for guidance.

Fred Mills

looking great

Really starting to get aggravated with this project,…

Travis, and that is why I have so many unfinished projects. When a project gets me to the point where I start accepting poor quality work on my part, then I need to take a break from it.

I think I see your frustration. The lack of a frame section between the motor brick and the front cylinders does pose a bit of a problem. You might take another look at a B’mann 4-4-0, and see what you can do to fill in that space.

One of the problems, when starting with a Hartland/Kalamazoo 4-4-0 as the base of your project, is that the model starts out rather short in length, and is based on hiding that motor brick. It is also based on something around or close to 1:24 scale, while the cylinders you are using are somewhere around 1:22.5, and may seem to appear oversized, with their steam chests.

But…don’t give up; you may pull it off yet…take a break for a day or two, and explore your options. You are gaining skills and experience as you work, and can do it, if you keep trying.

Fred Mills

Travis Dague said:

Really starting to get aggravated with this project,…

Travis,

I feel you. My first build sits on a shelf unable to move because of frustration. Something isn’t quite right with it and its frustrating. Stay with it. I think you will get there. Its looking nice.

Fred, the inspiration 4-4-0 that I was drawing from also didn’t have a frame between the drivers and the steam chest. Some locomotive use the boiler as the frame. But I think a frame of some sort will help me and Travis to get things laid out and working properly.

Hello from the Frustrated Rail Shops…LOL I haven’t been updating any pics yet. I have been cutting, sanding and test fitting a lot of different ideas. As far as a frame goes, I will be adding something under between the cylinders and front of motor block for the side rods to pass thru. I have been studying my Spectrum 4-4-0 dont know why i didnt look at it before Fred mentioned it, Duh. Thanks Fred for the hint… :slight_smile: So any ways I mocked up some stuff and also cut down a 4-6-0 drive rod. It works pretty good. the loco runs with it pretty smooth on test track and clears the pony truck. I do however want to make some side rods out of brass or metal of some kind. So to all of you that have helped me so far with ideas and encouragement. THANKS!. To those of you who have built a loco before my Hats off to you!. …Maybe I should have built a Diesel?..Nah… To be continued…(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

I believe the frame between the motor block and the steam chests is where I am having my problems as well. Your issue wont be as sever as mine because I am trying to hold and align a set of drivers with a crappy frame. At least your drivers are fixed in the working stock location. But the idea still applies that just like in real life the frame is the backbone and it will need to be right. take your time and make that part right.

Travis Dague said:

To those of you who have built a loco before my Hats off to you!. …Maybe I should have built a Diesel?..Nah… To be continued…(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Travis you have a great build going here and the few stumbling blocks you encounter will simply add to your knowledge.

The comment, in jest, of maybe building a diesel may bite you in the butt some day when you find as a few others have that they have their own special little set of problems. Good going on this build (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Thanks guys. I did some head bashing tonite while at work… I am going to the hobby Shop for some styrene and whatever else catches my eye… :slight_smile: I have come up with a idea for the frame under the boiler… … By the way Devon… Sometime when ya get a chance can you post a pic or two of yer locomotive project you started …? Thanks …

Travis, Devon’s thread on his build.

http://largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/22482/my-first-build/view/post_id/261807

If you want to skip the banter here is the link to the album

http://largescalecentral.com/albums/2-6-0-build/12198

More progress pics… I have changed a few things since I last posted anything.