Large Scale Central

2021 Challenge -- Caboose Repair Facility

Love the signs John

Lou Luczu said:

… During Coffee rationing (1 Pound per person per week- Oh My) they would doctor ground coffee by adding ground nuts to stretch it out.

We used to have a guy around here who freaked out whenever he thought the “thread” got “derailed”; actually I often learn more from the derails than from the original discussion! Thanks, Lou!

Had some time last night, so I dove in on attaching the sliced-up (Dremel disk) steel forms to steel forms. This has been really really bugging me, because if I can’t get them “welded” together somehow, the whole project is dooooomed. Soldering turned out to be the way to go, and, although my soldering isn’t the neatest by any stretch, the welded spots are strong and they’re all in places where nobody will see it anyway, so I’m relieved. (The coffee cans are glued to the top of the boxcars with Powergrab though; the “bars” across the top are cut from the wire off political signs.) I’m optimistic. This might just be taking shape!

John… I like… thats looking way cool… I really like how the ribbing is working together,… I’m thinking That I just might have to solder my cans too…

Just what technique have you found that works best… Torch or iron, or gun…

Dave T.

I agree with Dave. This has a great look. Between using cars for the main structure and the creative roof design it will be a top notch build

So cool! Reminds me of the (much larger) European train stations. This is the “gard du nord” in Paris:

Paris? Wait a minute, just hold your horses. Jim, that see through roof top at the crest of the roof might be just the ticket I’m looking for. Also some steel/wrought iron whatever supports from the floor up to the inside of the roof would be good. Aha!

Merci beaucoup. (That’s Chinese for thank you.)

Wow that is looking great. I wasn’t too sure about your proposal but now that it is coming together I like it. I think you could go either way with this tin roof. It could be super ornate like Jim Rowson mentions or it could be a a double layered quonset hut.

I really like how this is turning out, John. Very imaginative. Now if you decide to use Jim’s photo for inspiration, you will need to start over and use 55 gal drums (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-sealed.gif)Did you see the scale of that building compared to the trains, wow.

Now that is a way cool structure, way to go.

Very cool idea.

Obviously I won’t have time to do this, but it could be a great idea for somebody:

It looks like rainwater collection? Judging from the gutter heading into the one on the left.

John Passaro said:

Obviously I won’t have time to do this, but it could be a great idea for somebody:

Hmmm, I am probably more than half way to that, wonder of I should pivot…

It looks like rainwater collection? Judging from the gutter heading into the one on the left.

Dave Taylor said:

…Just what technique have you found that works best… Torch or iron, or gun…

Dave, I’m using these; I picked them up at the hardware store a year or so ago when I was trying to wire and light some passenger cars.

Very innovative build! For what it’s worth, we used “Shoo Goo” to hold the cans together, as I was unsure of my soldering skills or the efficacy of soldering to begin with. Now we know! Thanks!

Eric

So here I am, finding myself in that stage where I’m slugging out the basic structure. Not as fun as the imagination of coming up with an idea of course. Not as fun as putting in the final details that brings a build to life. Just slugging it out to get to the fun parts! I’ve decided on a green patina, not from copper, just green, for the roof, and a blue for the boxcars, although it looks black in the pictures (got to do something about that, sorry guys), and a tan for the interior walls, which needs to be lighter I think. The back wall is filled in with basically a form made out of a foreclosure/political sign (tedious), and then I’ll resurface it inside and out to look like the back wall. That will be fun. Needs an opening for a a door and a window of course. The track is in but I still need a floor.

The whole build is mounted on a 26" x 26" piece of 1/2" construction material. I realized the roof and maybe some other parts have to be removable so that I can work on the interior. Some of the parts will be like a puzzle fitting together…I hope.

Thanks for looking. I’m following all the other fine builds and I’m getting a kick in the pants not to fall too far behind everybody!

Grind on… there is light at the end…

That is gonna be neat. Stick with it I love where its going. Very unique idea.

John, I really like the uniqueness of this project. So far it looks great, not that I would expect anything less from you (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)What’s your plan for the roof that is currently open? Some type of skylight would look good, IMO, but you have a lot better judgment on things like this than I do. Carry on!

A good shop makes it much easier to work on your cabooses!