Large Scale Central

Split Jaw - Not accepting new orders

I learned today that split jaw is no longer taking new orders for anything. Apparently they have had such a run of big orders that they are overwhelmed.

I know that Reindeer Pass has been stocking up, but no idea how long that supply will last.

Michael

FWIW, I asked Pete at Sunset Valley if this would affect his supply of clamps, and he said it would not. He apparently has another source. Only code 250, of course.

Well, there are other clamps, but I have not found any that are as good. My order for 100 went in in August.

Greg

A guy in Fort Wayne/New Haven, IN has some his dad makes. He is on evilbay: user name trackjoiners

Jason

I’ve seen them, they copied the nice angles that make SJ align, but not the independent jaws (of course the independent jaws are copyrighted)

They don’t look too bad… not the same alignment as SJ, i.e. the design that makes SJ work well is not present in these:

Looks like no stainless steel ones, or insulated ones…

Greg

Greg:

Not to be too pedantic, but shouldn’t that be “patented” rather than “copyrighted”? (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-innocent.gif)

Back to regularly scheduled programming and away from drifting.

Seems like the solid piece would cause issues with curves, especially if you use flex track and the ends are not across from each other. I just bought 100 and will probably buy some more before things get scarce.

on a side note, if the company closes, does the copyright/ patent rights expire and could someone else just start producing them ?

No problem, yes in this case copyrighted, not patented as far as I can discern, was on the phone with a major dealer today discussing the possible purchase of the company, and I met the owner, his wife and his son at the Oregon convention and discussed same.

Best, Greg

That’s good news Greg! About 80% of my track has them and I am wanting to get everything all split jaws before production ends. I have seen where one dealer has said he put in a huge order when they announced they were closing.

Well, just talking now, not sure anything will happen. They want to sell the business with the machinery. No one so far wants to buy the machinery. So no reason to celebrate now unfortunately.

Hopefully something can come of this since in my experience they are the highest quality, best-working ones.

Greg

Pete Lassen said:

Seems like the solid piece would cause issues with curves, especially if you use flex track and the ends are not across from each other. I just bought 100 and will probably buy some more before things get scarce.

on a side note, if the company closes, does the copyright/ patent rights expire and could someone else just start producing them ?

They are kind of like the old Hillman clamps, and they can work ok on curves, at least on my 9.5 foot diameter curves they worked ok. But the design doesn’t always hold both rails firmly, and gaps have happened with the Hillman clamps.The split jaw ones do work better.

the uncle hermies ones on ebay were an economical alternative and I have many of them on my RR. unfortunately they are no longer offering in code 250 (code 332 last I checked is still being sold) and I had to resort to using split jaw. while I understand the base principal of the design, I was always frustrated when installing them, as one of the jaws inevitably would rotate out of position, and never seamed to want to rotate back. Greg I do not think they ever offered anything but brass.

AL P.

Yeah, the split jaw can make you crazy until you learn the technique to keep the separate jaws from rotating. I can put them on with one hand. (I do need the wrench in the other ha ha). The Hillmans had a fatal flaw with the square slot, some people had no issues, but many had them crack/break.

Greg

By putting a finger under the clamp then tightening them until they hold, move your finger and let the track sit flat , then tighten one until the screw strips out, then back of the rest of the them! Actually I have a big hand and a small Allen wrench so I have not stripped and screws .

The other key to the technique is hook the side with the 2 blocks on first, then swing it under the rail and hold in place with your finger, and spin the 2 screws in just enough to engage the base. Fast and easy.

Most people try to hold it up from the bottom and one side or the other comes out. Also this technique avoids the 2 blocks swiveling…

Greg

I have a small number (about 20) of the SVRR clamps and have never had an issue putting them on as others described above. I do use their Ball end driver for clamps and find it far easier to use than a traditional hex/Allen wrench.

For what it’s worth my railroad is indoors and sits about 42 inches off the floor. No one has ever complimented me on my coordination or manual dexterity.

The split jaws, with the 2 smaller blocks that can rotate the wrong way when installing are an order of magnitude harder, try one some time.

This is why we are really going on and on about it.

Greg (ball end driver yes)

Greg Elmassian said:

Greg (ball end driver yes)

Greg said : ball end driver and has been reported to the moderator!

Yes Greg, I am replacing my Hillman’s with Split Jaws as the Hillman’s break. I was just saying that the design without the split (2 solid sides) can be used on wider curves without issue.

I was fortunate, I bought over 200 split jaw stainless clamps, in batches, on online auctions. I guess some people bought them and then for whatever reason never used them, and I benefited from them selling off their unused clamps.

For those that still need them, I do hope someone does buy the company and continues production of them.

Illustrated below is how a small vise and Allen wrench was used on my outdoor layout to align the railheads whilst clamping the Split Jaws.

-Ted