Large Scale Central

Abrasives Co. elevator

OK, not sure what happened to the original post, but I will fix it

the top picture is an old birdhouse I have been trying to come up with a place to put on my layout.but I didn’t take any of the before pics

my main customer for my trucking business is an abrasives and sand blasting dealer, so I am upgrading his business to a full blown bagging and bulk distributor. first order of business was to fix the peeling ply walls and roofs, coroplast from a campaign sign was called into business as wall. Then the roof sections have been edged with aluminum can pieces . I cut out for 2 windows and fitted hardware cloth wire into the holes to fill them, clear plastic will back them later

Next is 4 … might add 2 more for 6 silos, 4" abs plastic pipe to give some more “bulk” to the silos complex. I have cut aluminum angle to cover the edges of the coroplast, if anyone has a good way to join the ends without doing this I would welcome some ideas, I don’t know if miter cutting the coroplast is doable, I have not tried it. Next is making more corrugated roof panels for the roof sections, and then start on a top dusthouse auger channels and other details

just cut the inside face and fold for corners where the coro is in line with the cut(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

You can 45 the coro and compound miter it as well …however why would you on a rescued bird house ?

Just for the fun of it, wife’s friend gave her a composite wood bird house thinking I could use it for my train but the wood was too far gone so I copied it with some old Pola building parts and made a new oneB of  B

" Rooster " said:

You can 45 the coro and compound miter it as well …however why would you on a rescued bird house ?

Rooster, the plywood had been exposed to water and was peeling off in spots, so it would have been more difficult to rehab the peeling and lost sections of plywood, so I just glued some coro to the walls , which when painted will kind of give the look of a metal building.

been doing some tinkering with this, painted the building tan, sprayed the black silos with textured light brown to give it a kind of Cement silo look. The roofs have been covered with beer can corrugated aluminum and things are at this stage.

I cannot decide where best placement for the buildings looks best. the small building is no longer attached to the main building, in fact nothing is really attached to anything except the silos have been bolted together.

Next will be a unloading building for the railcars. Looks like more coroplast will be needed, i have plenty from a couple of years ago. Might do something different on the roof for it.

I noticed I did make an error with the door, its only about 6’ scale height, but I doubt it will be noticable in the final placement , if I keep scale people ont of the area. The truck is a pretty close represntation of my truck, just some detail diffferences, and I do not have the flames on the side.

Some old mill building I used to haul steel in and out of had low doors. So you have one now too.

Looking good. FWIW I prefer the first building location pic (close to the tracks).

Show us how it looks outside…

Nice work Pete. I’m looking forward to seeing it in service.

Shane

Like it.

Like Shane S. said… Like to see in service and location where you install it. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

David Maynard said:

Some old mill building I used to haul steel in and out of had low doors. So you have one now too.

That makes sense. Several places in decades past I’ve encountered old, old, wooden outbuildings with low doors & even a house with a low interior door or two.

At this point on the calendar I can no longer name or locate them but do remember it happening.
And I’d swear there was an old house which had a sloped roof screen porch added and the porch door was less than the 6ft 8in, or 7ft, standard door height.

An idea for altering the apparent height of the door is to add a “foundation wall” of stone, concrete, brick, about a foot high under the wooden sides; because door top will then be higher relative to figures’ heads that will make door shortness a bit less obvious at first glance compared to any figures which might be placed in general area of door.

Pete, I really like this structure and I too like it with the building closer to and facing the tracks. BTW, are you sure your not in my shop … all horizontal surfaces are in use (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Sean, the site needs a lot of cleanup before I can place it, or even show it temporarily set there, but I will attempt something soon.

Dan these pictures are after I cleaned stuff up in a futile attempt to gain some work space. Didn’t help at all. I need a day of somewhat cool weather and I will work on my area and maybe be able to see the table, the table saw, the chop saw and the planer that’s hiding somewhere

I can certainly relate, Pete. It typically takes me longer to make some workspace as it does to complete most projects. I just don’t have enough space for tools, material, work area and junk (mostly junk) (mostly wife’s junk) … ssshhhhh don’t let her hear me say that (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

Dan Hilyer said:

I can certainly relate, Pete. It typically takes me longer to make some workspace as it does to complete most projects. I just don’t have enough space for tools, material, work area and junk…

You too huh? Must be a common affliction. Right now I am bridge building on the coffee table in the living room.

I’d like to see it outside too. That would help the placement. Looking pretty dang good so far though!

Well I have a couple of different places I am thinking it can go so I guess I should try them to see what’s the best looking spot!

Pete, I see a photo shoot coming up. lol. We need to see some pics.

Pete, what did you use for silos?