Large Scale Central

Mason Bogie

Been working on my mason bogie project, using an LGB Spreewalt drive, Lionel gold rush engine cab, boiler and detail parts and a Eztech tender body. Just completed the chop and shortening of the tender part and added rivets that I got from Mirce in Russia @ nsmodelers.rs which are designed to be used on model air planes. They are of the fairly flat variety and looked pretty good until I sprayed a coat of paint on them and a lot of the detail was lost so I added a drop of gel superglue to the top of each rivet for some beef. Am very happy with the results, installing the rivets consists of removing them from a sheet with scotch tape and pressing into place then removing the tape, pretty simple and while adding the superglue sounds time consuming it really wasn’t and added about 10 minutes to the project. Was easy to make straight lines and with them already evenly spaced made for a simple job for shaky hands.

rivetspainted

Looking forward to seeing this come together, Bill!

Me too

Will be watching this!

Jason

Been working on my mason bogie tender and cab while waiting on styrene tube and sheets from plastruct. Got the tender fitted to the cab and both sanded and primed, using aircraft aluminum prime as it was a very fine spray and was sandable + seemed to fill the voids in well. Got the goal old eztec load cut and fitted and covered on top of the original one with real Pennsylvania coal glued on with tile bond III. Added Crip for coal as per drawings I have been working off of. Do think it a little strange that the cage meant to hold the wood in place was also surrounded by sheeting for coal + the fact the engine has a wood burning stack but was coal fired. Must be one of those either or engines. Next on my list will be to paint it with final colors and add detail parts and then on to the chassis. More to follow cab and tendertender side

Pretty cool!

Jason

I like the shiny coal. In my opinion gloss coal is the way to go!

John Passaro said:

I like the shiny coal. In my opinion gloss coal is the way to go!

John, didn’t put anything on it, just the way it looked when I smashed it with a hammer

Anthracite - HARD COAL NEPA USA mined. Shiny metallic and sprayed with a blue dye (similar to that used in a carpenter’s chalk line) over the tops of the loaded cars = Blue Coal.

"Blue Coal" is the term for a once-popular and trademarked brand of anthracite, mined by the Glen Alden Coal Company in Pennsylvania, and sprayed with a blue dye at the mine before shipping to its northeastern U.S. markets to distinguish it from its competitors.

Anthracite differs from ordinary bituminous coal by its greater hardness (2.75–3 on the Mohs scale),[9] its higher relative density of 1.3–1.4, and luster, which is often semi-metallic with a mildly brown reflection. It contains a high percentage of fixed carbon and a low percentage of volatile matter. It is also free from included soft or fibrous notches and does not soil the fingers when rubbed.[3] Anthracitization is the transformation of bituminous coal into anthracite.

Another tidbit for the purist here.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Thanks, you guys just filled up another pigeon hole in my brain!!

And those are the coal hard facts!!!

John Passaro said:

Thanks, you guys just filled up another pigeon hole in my brain!!

I for one am glad we could assist John (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Another picture from the past, brought to the forefront of my mind…“Blue Coal”.

I remember the “Brand name” and the blue powder found in a bag of it, from my early years in Montreal, where loads of it were delivered to homes for heating, often in bags or in bulk to be dumped into cellar “Coal bins”. This was back in the 1940’s…I still have great pictures preserved in my mind.

Fred Mills

Related blue coal trivia in a coal forum I found via playing in Google, https://coalpail.com/coal-forum/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3680

baggage car

Bill Barnwell said:

Been working on my mason bogie project, using an LGB Spreewalt drive, Lionel gold rush engine cab, boiler and detail parts and a Eztech tender body. Just completed the chop and shortening of the tender part and added rivets that I got from Mirce in Russia @ nsmodelers.rs which are designed to be used on model air planes. They are of the fairly flat variety and looked pretty good until I sprayed a coat of paint on them and a lot of the detail was lost so I added a drop of gel superglue to the top of each rivet for some beef. Am very happy with the results, installing the rivets consists of removing them from a sheet with scotch tape and pressing into place then removing the tape, pretty simple and while adding the superglue sounds time consuming it really wasn’t and added about 10 minutes to the project. Was easy to make straight lines and with them already evenly spaced made for a simple job for shaky hands.

rivetspainted

Finally got some real paint on my cab and tender tank, starting to come together and finally found a suitable size pvc pipe for the bowler so I will now start on the boiler and chassis. Painted it to match my coaches and will become my primary passenger train engine. Thinking about adding a name to it like Tenmile, San Juan, Breckenridge, etc. also not sure about the orange stripe but I’ll see if it grows on me, as much trouble as it was to paint it just might stay.

painted parts

Coming along nicely, Bill. The paint job looks nice and I like the orange stripe, but I’m not the one that has to like it (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Beautiful, Bill! I’d keep the orange stripe. It draws attention to the RR name on the tender without overwhelming the whole.

• Eric

Eric Mueller said:

Beautiful, Bill! I’d keep the orange stripe. It draws attention to the RR name on the tender without overwhelming the whole.

• Eric

Agreed …I like the orange stripe

Nice looking work Bill(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)