Large Scale Central

MLS cloud down

I’m getting a persistent message on MLS - must be their new cloud.

Temporary Error, please retry

No errors here, must be your routing…

MLS is in Mountain View, California, so you are pretty much as far away as possible… I would assume it is a temporary routing problem with your ISP.

I’m getting 13 milliseconds on a trace route

(you cannot get a ping response from mls… so you use tracert forums.mylargescale.com from a DOS prompt… wait a bit, it takes a few seconds)

If you do that you will see how many “hops” it takes to get from your place to mls… here’s a copy of my tracert

C:\Users\greg>tracert forums.mylargescale.com

Tracing route to forums.mylargescale.com [35.186.236.242]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms Dell_PowerConnect.hq.pulselink.net [10.10.1.1]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 12 ms 13 ms 12 ms 242.236.186.35.bc.googleusercontent.com [35.186.236.242]

Trace complete.

Back now. Just for Greg:

C:\Users\PeterT>tracert forums.mylargescale.com

Tracing route to forums.mylargescale.com [35.186.236.242]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 2 ms 2 ms dlinkrouter [192.168.0.1]
2 11 ms 10 ms 18 ms xe-7-2-0-32767-sur01.annapolis.md.bad.comcast.net [69.139.214.101]
3 10 ms 9 ms 10 ms 68.85.67.29
4 12 ms 15 ms 12 ms 96.108.111.25
5 16 ms 15 ms 12 ms ae-13-ar01.capitolhghts.md.bad.comcast.net [68.87.168.61]
6 30 ms 19 ms 15 ms be-33657-cr02.ashburn.va.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.90.57]
7 30 ms 15 ms 27 ms be-10142-pe01.ashburn.va.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.86.34]
8 15 ms 17 ms 15 ms 96-87-8-186-static.hfc.comcastbusiness.net [96.87.8.186]
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 18 ms 14 ms 13 ms 242.236.186.35.bc.googleusercontent.com [35.186.236.242]

Trace complete.

Yeah, it’s interesting, and you can use that tool when a site “looks” slow or weird.

The 3 numbers on each line are the 3 “tries” the command uses, to try to give you 3 readings… so those are round trip times…

So your route to MLS is not bad at all, but higher latency in the middle of the “hops” (#'s 6 and 7) show a possible priority issue, that could explain what you see.

Also, you want the 3 numbers on each line to be consistent… they are the round trip time to that location (hop) just tested 3 times… look at #6 and #7, very inconsistent…, even your first hop (#2) is not great…

So, it looks like an inconsistent network issue… keep this and try again on a “good” day, you should get more consistent numbers

Greg

I can access the site just fine, but my images are behaving strangely. They’ll show up one time, and not be there the next (like the image in my signature line below). Who knew the cloud they moved the servers to was over Brigadoon?

Later,

K

Too much pot in Colorado, the Internet is stoned? ha ha…

Seriously that is a symptom of too much latency in most cases… the site can “give up” if things are slow, and so can your browser.

If it happens consistently enough, post your tracert results and I’m sure it will tell a story. As an aside, I see that long after I posted that the new Phoenix all in 1 card was lame for only having a 3 amp capacity, Stan posted that effectively I did not know what I was talking about… and then today we all learn the 6 amp version is now coming with screw terminals…

I guess the “3 amps is lame” comment hit a nerve?

I was able to get on, and just saw what Dennis Rayon’s been up to, holy bovine… All in a week’s modeling for him though. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

If its MLS, its not the Cloud, but the Clods running the joint.

MLS clouds used to drizzle on LSC but have been heavily raining on LSC for the past few months. However it’s all good as LSC has lots of sunshine along with Leprechaun’s,Rainbows and single testicle unicorns!

rooster, you know pot is legal here in California, but I want the drugs you have! (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Greg Elmassian said:

rooster, you know pot is legal here in California, but I want the drugs you have! (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Not sure you’re ready for that

Greg Elmassian said:

…I see that long after I posted that the new Phoenix all in 1 card was lame for only having a 3 amp capacity, Stan posted that effectively I did not know what I was talking about… and then today we all learn the 6 amp version is now coming with screw terminals…

I guess the “3 amps is lame” comment hit a nerve?

Dunno. My guess is that the screw-terminal version of the board was also in development at the same time, but the plug-and-play board was ready first. From what I’ve read on the forums, it looks like this board was designed specifically to be plugged into the Bachmann version of “the socket.” That being the case, a 3-amp capacity would be plenty. Those locos don’t draw a ton of current even in extreme circumstances. Until both boards are on the street, we can’t compare components between them.

And my images are still behaving weirdly. Makes me very happy I had some time a few weeks ago to search out and download many of the photos that are on my MLS storage space. Now I just need to find a new (stable) site which to upload them. Photobucket’s recent cash grab soured me on using them or other online file hosting services. I wonder if I can upload them to Blogspot but not publish them…

Later,

K

Kevin Strong said:

Now I just need to find a new (stable) site which to upload them. Photobucket’s recent cash grab soured me on using them or other online file hosting services. I wonder if I can upload them to Blogspot but not publish them…

Kevin, most of my photos are uploaded to WordPress and not published, so I would suspect Blogspot could do the same. Lately, however, I have been using Flickr, which is a whole lot easier.

Gregory Hile said:

Kevin Strong said:

Now I just need to find a new (stable) site which to upload them. Photobucket’s recent cash grab soured me on using them or other online file hosting services. I wonder if I can upload them to Blogspot but not publish them…

Kevin, most of my photos are uploaded to WordPress and not published, so I would suspect Blogspot could do the same. Lately, however, I have been using Flickr, which is a whole lot easier.

Ive been using Imgur for some image hosting. Its painless, easy to use, and works simply from the phone.

I use pinterest, just go on line and type in your name and you probably already have an account, Bill

fwiw: I use tumblr. I created a free tumblr blog for my railroad (link), upload the photos there through the phone app or the web (for a rare photo I take with my real camera), and then can use those photos here.

Sounds like a lot of mombull jumbull and I don’t use the what ever this cloud thing is(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif) Later RJD

It appears they have resolved the image display issues at MLS. Everything seems to be working normally again.

Later,

K

I would bet that it was network issues, not the site itself… since it worked fine for me with 3 fewer hops than Pete, but perhaps your hosting of your pictures had issues.

Again, it does not appear it was MLS.

Greg