Large Scale Central

Shannon Car Shops 2018 build challange log

After giving the crew a few days to rest up from the World’s Greatest Hobby show, I got some pizza and cold drinks and called a meeting to discuss the Mik build challenge this year. Since the project is to be a wooden project, we had many suggestions on what to build. Smokey suggested that we build the bakery, since it will be the largest building in Shannon. He says that its a landmark. Tom wanted to build the covered bridge for Saw Mill Run, and Chuck wanted to build the Mercantile. About the time we had all argued the merits of our suggestions, the old man walked into the shop and announced that he wanted us to get off our dead ends and build him a Railmotor. Then he walked out, leaving us all speechless.

It seams that the old man went to England some time ago, and rode on a Railmotor over there, and he wants one so he can tour, and show off, his railroad.

After explaining to the crew what in the world a Railmotor is, we napkined up a quick sketch.

And gathered the material.

And found the 2 derelict locomotives that were in storage, that were purchased just for this project, almost a year ago.

Since we have had the engines to build this project for almost a year now, I guess I can see why the old man was a bit gruff with us. And since the old man is CEO of our parent company, we here on the P&CS do have to try and do what he says.

I know I am taking a risk here. The last time someone attempted a powered project for the challenge, they ended up leaving LSC. I am hopeful that I will not be chased out like that poor soul was.

As with all my rolling stock, this will be operations quality, so no museum build here. I just want the old man to have his own personal, steam powered railcar, so he can putter around his railroad.

I think it’s a brilliant idea Maynard, full of potential, and anybody who wants to chase you off for it is gonna have to chase me and maybe a couple of other fellas off first!

Now, the napkin drawing leaves a little to be desired, but, as a couple of the brethren so insolently pointed out, I haven’t done crap so I can’t criticize. Yet.

That will be a nice mode of transportation for the old man. I am with John on the chasing and since I don’t like to run, there won’t be much chasing going on. We got your back.

Thanks guys.

As for the napkin drawing, I could have done better, but I thought that was the point. We build from napkin sketches instead of carefully drawn up plans, according to the person who initially uttered the notion.

A fine napkin drawing, by my way of thinking. Only one question; are you hanging cylinders on both ends?

Gotta keep the side rods at least even if the rear is not powered…

That is a way cool idea

No John, I am only using one powered chassis, but the previous owner had removed the right cylinder from both locomotives. I do not know why. So either I use the ones I have, or make new ones. So I will have a spare powered chassis for some other project.

Actually I bought the pair of locomotives, at auction, for 2 reasons. I needed a powered chassis for the Railmotor, and I needed the tenders for my LGB Porters. Any other spare parts I have left from the locomotives may be used on other projects elsewhere.

David, looks to me like you just raised the bar for this year’s challenge. Super cool idea!! What a great way to use boring 2 x 4 lumber.

Thanks Bill.

Now that the dust has settled a bit from the bombshell the old man dropped on us, we have been discussing the railmotor and its layout. Up front of course is the motorman’s compartment and engine room. Behind that would be the coal bunker, even though the British version has to coal right behind the front panel of their Railmotor. The water tank can be at least partly slung under the railmotor. Then we need a small galley, the old man likes his meals on time, and properly prepared. (it must be nice to be the king). We considered a small bedroom, but since the P&CS is only 8 miles long, and considering that all of its equipment is captive, the old man isn’t going to be traveling long distances in the thing. We do need a bathroom, after all old men…you get my point. And then there is the observation compartment at the rear of the railmotor. Big windows so that the old man can see all the sights. Since the observation compartment is at the rear, with windows all around, we are inclined to not put a rear deck on the thing. That way there won’t be any railings to obstruct the view out the back. When time permits we will try and work out a length for this thing. The British units are considerably longer then what we are planning to build.

As long as there is room for his LaZboy … sounds like a plan.

Are you going to add an upper Observation deck so he can look down on the minions?

John Caughey said:

As long as there is room for his LaZboy …

I don’t think there were Lazy-boys back then. But an overstuffed chair would be nice.

Are you going to add an upper Observation deck so he can look down on the minions?

No, a regular car floor is high enough.

Well I have been getting a bit of a slow start this year. Friday, the night before the challenge started, we got a snow storm. Not a terribly bad one, but it was preceded by an ice storm. Then the temperatures stayed in the teens or lower. Friday night I had to pick my mom up from work. Oh, and could I give her friend and the floor nurse a ride home too? The nurse lives about 10 miles south, my mom’s friend lives about 5 miles north, and we live about 3 miles east of the nursing home where they work. So I picked them up just after 23:00 (11 pm) and took them to their respective homes. The next day, I had to go pick up my mom’ friend and the nurse, and take them back to the home, so they/we could dig their cars out. But not too early, after all, my mom’s shift doesn’t start till 14:30 (2:30 pm).

“You know, if you didn’t want to do this, you shouldn’t have bought another Jeep.” Says my mom. How does one argue with mom logic like that??

I have been working on the motor block. Without the drive, I don’t have a railmotor. But in the Bachmann locomotives, the motor block is also the whole frame of the locomotive. So, after pairing down the frame, and running to block to make sure it works, I am a considering how to mount the motor block to the railmotor. The motor sticks out the back of the block, and sits high. So I have to have an opening in the floor to clear the block, AND allow it enough swing so it doesn’t bind in the curves. The best solution would be to mount the pivot/bearing pin in the middle of the block. But I am not sure that would give me enough clearance for the motor housing to swing. If I mount the pivot on the motor housing, then there won’t be much weight on the front axle of the block, and that can make it prone to derailments. So I am playing with 2 different ideas to work around this issue.

As you always tell me if there are no pictures it didn’t happen. So no snow storm, no ice storm, no mom, no friends, no jeep, no motor blocks. . . just excuses. At least take a picture of mom so we know your really have one and weren’t just assembled from spare copier parts in a mad scientists lab somewhere.

Devon, At least all m y parts are organic and original. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Pictures will follow.

David Maynard said:

Devon, At least all m y parts are organic and original. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Pictures will follow.

Touche, i feel like I am being assembled in a mad scientist’ lab.

Well, I would have to ask about the warranty, and if it covers parts and labor.

Ha, its the medical industry there is no warranty on any of it. In fact I was told upfront that there is a distinct possibility that it won’t work and near 100% chance of failure at some point requiring that it be fixed on my nickle. I am in the wrong business if i can make those kinds of promises and still make a very comfortable 6 figure salary. Did I mention my surgeon was cute. She could talk me into anything. Sex sells even in brain surgery I guess(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

She could talk me into anything. Sex sells even in brain surgery I guess(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

And you a married “man of the cloth”. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

In my next life I want to be a professional weather guesser. I could be wrong all the time, and still make a decent living. In my current job, a failure rate of 5% is suspect, and a failure rate of 10% is grounds for a good “talking to”, and a write up.

Update

My mom works at a nursing home, so her work schedule is a bit different then most. Monday was one of her days off, and she spent most of it sleeping on the couch, dealing with a bad cold. She ended up calling in sick on Tuesday, and spent most of Tuesday sleeping on the couch. Out of respect, I won’t run power tools in the shop while she is sleeping on the couch. The shop is on the opposite side of the wall that the couch is against.

Wednesday at work, that cold hit me like an express train. I ended up coming home and doing nothing. Thursday, I barely made it through till lunch time, and then I came home sick. I called off on Friday, and Friday, Saturday and Sunday I did little more then sleep. SO no progress has been made since last weekend. I hope to get back to this project this week.

I have noticed, that ever since Devon has joined the challenge, I get struck down with an illness during the challenge. Now I am not saying with any certainty that it is his fault, but I am blaming him. Maybe he is using his influence to have me struck down. Or maybe he has a Maynard Voodoo doll that he has stuck a few dozen pins into. I dunno.

The motor block that I pulled out of the Bachmann locomotive runs, I did clean the wheels and run it for bit. So now I just have to work out the mounting for it. The motor hangs out the back of the block, so I am a bit concerned about the swing of the block going through curves. But I do have some ideas on that one.