Large Scale Central

Scranton TV Backyard Train on John Oliver

For those who dont know, HBOs John Oliver picked up a local story about WNEP TV in Scranton PA having set up a small 4’ circle of track and LGB trains set that runs in the background of their weather segment, and it than became embroiled in a controversy over funny phonecalls in their feedback segment, which were hilarious, hence John Oliver picking up the story. Well the fine folks of Scranton took offense to Oliver’s segment, so in response John Oliver then offered an olive branch, and OH what a branch! This is a hoot!

I watched this last night…Hilarious

Wonderful… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Our favorite local tv station, 11.4 mi away!

Bob Kubasko said:

Our favorite local tv station, 11.4 mi away!

Bob you should volunteer to go pick this up for the station LOL :smiley:

that was really good, way to answer the critics, John Oliver

Vic, they have sent a tractor-trailer for pickup–the set has been dismantled for travel. Going to be interesting to see where it is put together, for now the train that runs is outside 365 days a year! (18-feet wide and 16-feet tall)

All boxed uo and in storage for now…

Updated info and pictures at WNEP-TVs website site. (Moosic PA) Looks like it will be assembled and on display at the Scranton Trolley Museum adjacent to Steamtown NPS.

Bob That’s great, can’t wait to see it set up and running.

It will be going into the Trolley Museum in Scranton. They plan on getting it next week. Im looking forward to seeing it when it together.

On the plus side. Last Week Tonight won two Emmys for writing and best variety/talk show which left Stephen Colbert and Jimmy Kimmel drinking to Johns good health: (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Just an update on this story…

Just anOTHER update on this story. . .

Well, it turns out the layout is now in the Trolley Museum in the middle of the area where the Aikenback Live Steamers set up their track on Presidents Day.

I understand the gift layout is 18’ across and the inside of the live steam track is 20’. Heads are being scratched and inspection trips planned. Stay tuned. . .

The club guys have to lose weight? (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Yeah, I’ll bet that did not go over well, but if it’s only one day they set up there…

Greg

Yeah, I’ll bet that did not go over well, but if it’s only one day they set up there…

Greg, I don’t get your point. So what if it was only one day??

It’s actually a whole weekend, and the track is set up (free) as an attraction for the Museum, which (hopefully) sees higher attendance. Given the donated layout has a low lower level, maybe the steam guys can run over it!

My point was: (my words from my post in blue):

The guys operating the steam track were probably pissed at the obstruction, both physical and visual. (Yeah, I’ll bet that did not go over well)

AND

If it’s only Presidents day (as indicated in the post), or it’s a weekend, perhaps it is tolerable ( but if it’s only one day they set up there)

Better explanation of my sentence/points?

Greg

Better explanation of my sentence/points?

I got the first one, but the second didn’t quite get your point across as it wasn’t a complete statement.

Sorry, I will work to communicate better… in any case I hope they work it out… I was hoping that they could use the “new” layout in the “back yard” that the news program was using, but perhaps it will give even better exposure to the hobby where it is.

We used to have a show called “Engineer Bill” in Los Angeles, that showed cartoons, and then they showed the layout and somehow tied running the trains to being healthy and drinking your milk: (red light green light at about 5:40)…

Greg

I was hoping that they could use the “new” layout in the “back yard” that the news program was using,

If you look closely at the TV clip, it seems the new/donated layout is partly Lionel gauge O 3-rail and partly HO. The original Scranton News layout was clearly LGB gauge 1.

Yeah, I did seem to notice more than one scale…

Pre building photo on the way to Scranton!

No automatic alt text available.