Large Scale Central

F scale modelers

I’ve been on this site for some time now and was wondering if there are any other F scale modelers on the site, it seems most here model in Generic G scale which encompasses several scale from 1:32 to 1:22.5 and most have garden layouts. Are there any other modelers out there modeling solely in F scale (1:20.3) and more correctly Fn3 and doing it indoors? Would like to hear from you.

There’s me, at least. Click on the banner below to get to my blog (which hasn’t been updated in a bit…)

Later,

K

Joe:

I started my indoor railroad as strictly Fn3. I have the requite Bachmann geared engines: 2-truck Shay, Heisler and Climax. I bought a number of AMS and Bachmann Fn3 rolling stock. I soon realized how large a train became with just three or four cars on my 160 feet of track.

Never being one to count rivets I soon acquired a number of Big Hauler cars that I liked and have been quite satisfied with my decision to mix and match. I have a small number of Fn3 Banta buildings that are in the foreground and Pola/LGB structures that are more towards the background. I tend to have scale appropriate figures and vehicles with the corresponding structure’s scene.

I have converted all of the cars and engines to use Kadee couplers and most are body mounted. I use the Kadee #1-Scale “New Generation” Type “E” couplers as I like their look with narrow gauge.

All engines have been converted to battery R/C using G Scale Graphics RailBoss 4 and I run on SVRR code 250 aluminum track with (mostly) 8’ diameter curves. I do not have any sound as I find it sort of cool for a couple of minutes and then quickly becoming annoying (I know there are many who will disagree with this, but it’s my railroad and I can do what I want!)

Overall I am very satisfied with my choices. Hope this helps and sort of responds to your query.

Mark

Not doing indoors, but I run all 1:20.3 operations. There are a good handful of us on the site.

Been working in FN3 or as closes as possible for near 20 years.

The only real compromises have been in the automobile line where I use 1:18 and a few small accessories like oil cans etc.

Rick

Joe; Good to hear from you. Yes there are a great many people here, that model in the scale of 1:20.3.

As you surely must have noted, this is a web page devoted to “Large Scale Model Railroading” which includes, very much, the scale of 1:20.3,

and all the other scales that run on #1 gauge track. It is seldom that the term “F Scale” is used, but most of us are familiar with the term. “G Scale” is also a term, not usually used by those people that truly understand the complicated politics of all the factions and manufacturers, involved in Large Scale, on #1 Gauge track.

If you hang your hat here, and have questions to ask, or ideas to share; please feel welcome to jump in…the water’s great and most often refreshing. Just like life, you can meet all sorts of characters here. Most are friendly, and welcoming. There are always a few that until fully understood, might appear “Hard to take” at times. The unfortunate thing about the internet, and any online forum; is that you can’t really know a person unless you actually meet him/her.

" I’m modelling in Large Scale", is what I usually blurt out, if asked; only mentioning the actual scale, if probed for an actual scale.

In actuality, I’m mostly in 1:22.5, but do dabble in 1:20.3. If you go over to the chat room on this web page, and ask what scales everyone is in, you will probably find the whole spectrum, represented, at one time or another…including dual gauge, in any one of the scales.

OK…you mention that you are modelling in 1:20.3, “Indoors”…very interesting…I’ve known a few people that are devoted to indoors. If I was going to devote myself to that scale, I would definitely be indoors. The reason I gave up on going deeply into 1:20.3 was that I didn’t have the space, and wanted to operate, in the space I had, out of doors. I found that the equipment was too delicate for true operations out-of-doors…with all its great looking details. Indoors is the place to be…from my own point of view…others find it fine, and enjoy themselves.

Like I said at the start…feel WELCOME…you are amongst FRIENDS…

Fred Mills

Joe

The SJR&P is 100% 1:20.3, both standard and narrow gauge. While we have a minor amount indoors (in a large shed), the vast majority is outdoors. And yes we are into operations.

Stan

Joe, I responded to your post on MLS also, but I model in 1/22.5, and outdoors.

I just watched a couple You Tube video’s of Barry Bogs Denver and Rio Grande G/Gn3 indoor layout, and Tom Miller’s F scale indoor layout, both very impressive.

Two sides to my railway/railroad - “The West Well”. All my US stuff is Fn3 both track powered and live steam, D&RGW/RGS + logging. The biggest things you can get to run on 45 mm track gauge, love my K-28 and 27’s. Can’t beat a live steam Shay puttering around like a sewing machine running loose.

The rest is 16 mm(c 1:19.3 scale) UK & colonial, live steam and battery. Mainly “little 'uns”, 0-4-0 to 2-6-2 but there is a 2-6-2+2-6-2 live steam Garratt in there too. I’m a happy boy.

Max

P.S. I’m UK based. There are quite a few of us Fn3 'ers over here.

Add me to the 1:20.3 modelers group. I do a lot of accurate modeling in F scale. I am constructing a garden railway, but have a 25 foot long diorama in the basement. It’s a scaled down version of Ridgway - including the station, roundhouse, turntable, sand house, and water tank all built from blueprints with the assistance of period photographs. I’m almost finished with stalls 6&7 of the roundhouse…the thing is huge. The back wall of the roundhouse is 6 feet in length.

Joe,

I am primarily an Fn3 modeler but do have a few pieces of 1:29, 1:22 and 1:24. Most of my custom structures are 1:24 because I like simple math. I have some POLA and PIKO structures (1:22). I prefer Colorado narrow gauge prototypes. When I scratch build or kit-bash rolling stock it is in Fn3.

Doc Watson

Not indoors, but certainly Fn3. Although I do take some liberties and occasionally call it 1:20.(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif) Most of my rolling stock and buildings are scratch built, but I don’t think I have ever made a building the exact scale dimension - there’s some shrinkage involved.

Hey Joe,

As time has passed and taste evolves, our “TimeSaver” modules that are setup at the ECLSTS have officially moved to 1:20.3 with this becoming my indoor large scale model railroad. I still have some POLA buildings on the layout and will probably stay with that, along with some of our people/characters on the puzzle. With help of many of these fine modelers, I’ve converted some 1:22.5 rolling stock to 1:20.3. Performing the conversion really gives you the idea of scale and refines the eye to what looks correct. The modules of Warrior Run at the ECLSTS really expresses 1:20.3 indoors and becomes a goal for correct modeling.

I’m like Max, just up there. I run anything that fits on 45mm track without falling off from Gauge 1 to 7/8ths. I have all the Bachmann geared locos, including three of their Shays [2 x2 and 1 x 3 truck] and a Connie, and a bunch of cars - many of which I’ve built out of coffee stirrers. I’ve also got an Accucraft K27 and 3-C Shay, currently being retimed.

Fn3 is great fun - the locos are too big to lose, but not really big enough to ride.

For Max - if you have any Accucraft loco that has a ‘howler whistle’ instead of a burner, give Matt a call at Barley Pit Works for a one-for-one replacement for £35. Best £35 I ever sent on a live-steamer.

tac

OVGRS

POCRR

Joe

I am a F, Fn3, 1/20.3 modeler. You can find my website on the layout by clicking on the banner below. I am outdoors but planning to go indoors so I can do more scenery and details without the effects of the New Mexico train destroying weather.

Railroad facts:

Cibola Lumber and Mining: logging, mining shortline operations based on the Zuni Mountain Lumber Co and D&RGW railroads in Northern New Mexico. Circa 1930s.

Bachmann K-27

Accucraft K-27

Bachmann Connie X 2

Bachmann Forney

Bachamnn Shay

Bachmann C-19

Rolling stock (approx 65 pieces) split 50/50 between Spectrum and AMS

New Mexico facts:

Highest background radiation in the US

Highest average UV radiation across greatest land mass in the US

5 X the number of sheep as people…this probably has no effect on garden railroading.

Average Wind speed 9 months out of the year: 24mph sustained with gusts to 65

Average rainfall: 13 inches (usually falls in the form of mud-balls)

Varmints that destroy trains: rock squirrels (burrowing), pocket gophers, deer, rabbits, coyotes, small children with inconsiderate or inattentive parents, jackalope and chupacabra

Glad to have you here at LSC…feel free to tell us about your layout (we like pictures). :slight_smile:

I do Fn3 operations indoors and out. Just recently expanded my indoor portion to accommodate a full session completely indoors. Everything is point-to-point; no continuous run at all.

I am not nearly as accomplished a modeler as many here, but I dabble in bashing and scratch building. I started with code 332 stainless so I stuck with code 332. It really doesn’t look that big to me when buried in ballast. I spend more time on track, roadbed and rolling stock than I do on scenery. My indoor portion is basically just grass mat with a few Pola buildings and other structures. My biggest challenge is to keep on detailing after it’s operational. Probably why there is so little scenery and details on my line. I just have too much fun running the trains.

You an find pictures of my recent indoor expansion here: http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/26294/cvsry-indoor-division-phase-iv

And a (dated) roster of equipment in my album here: http://www.largescalecentral.com/albums/c-v-s-ry-equipment-roster/11756

Plus documentation of an indoor ops session here: http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/26529/1st-invitational-op-session-on-cvsry-indoor-div

!:20.3 is my genre. Outside layout.

Locos are mostly Bachmann models, (geared and rodded), with a few kit bashed up to 1:20.3 scale LGB locos.

A few accucraft pieces of rolling stock, with the majority scratch built.

Take a look at my album “Builds”

http://www.largescalecentral.com/albums/builds/12065

Hello Joe,

I’m all 1:20.3 Narrow gauge, or F scale. I do model out side though. I’ll eventually have storage tracks in side which may include some limmited modeling on some. Here’s the thread on my layout. The best picture and video are on pages 10 & 11.

http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/23502/ebt-robertsdale-layout-build-log?page=10

So Joe, do you have an indoor layout? Planning one? We could always use another layout build log. Might take some pressure of Andy and Ken. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-sealed.gif)

I also am into fn3 with scratch built modeling . We run outdoors mostly with live steam and battery power. Colorado narrow gauge theme .

Locos and rolling stock are Accucraft with some Spectrum . Live steam roster of 2 k-28’s one butane and one coal plus new shay

I’m 1:20.3 as well. I have a K-36, C-19 and a Goose #7 that operates in my backyard. Airwire battery with sound.