Large Scale Central

More Redwood Cliffhangers

Well I am Back, building more Redwwod shacks to locate on mountain sides, I call them cliffhangers, I will show a couple of my

existing cliffhangers displayed then showing a new one started.

Way Cool …

Another Cliffhanger

i found this structure on a webb site, I thought I need a few of these, so I designed in sketchup, to laser out a few of these.

This is the drawings laid out for the laser, I use redwood 2x6 cut into 2" wide then ripped into 1/4" thick ready

for the laser

The redwood parts lasered and assembled with titebond 3 glue and 23 gauge headless pins

Beautiful design job Dennis, love your interlocking joint approach.

Wow that is a nice build.(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Hmmmm … that could become a kit…

The cliff hanging dwellers must have nerves of steel. I couldn’t stay in a cabin like that when every creek and groan could sound a failure and instant death. Yikes. Brave men indeed living in cool cabins.

Sean is right your interlocking puzzle approach would make for a neat kit.

Dennis, your modeling is terrific. You could write a book on your techniques AND sell kits. There is virtually nothing available in fine scale modeling like your structures. Always love to see them. Thanks!

great model Dennis.

I’ve seen the finished product. It will amaze you for sure.

Chris

Awesome work. Love the jigsaw-puzzle way to put it all together.

This (and your already finished cliffhangers) is terrific. Seems like I’ll need to configure some rocks as a site for a small town like this. As others have said, your “jigsaw puzzle” interlocks are awesome. Very nice idea.

Sorry to have not seen any previous posts, but what laser cutter do you use on 1/4" redwood?

Great looking structures. The interlocking design should make for very strong joints.

that looks very interesting.

but looking at the pic reminded me of a preocupation: laser-cut parts seem to be cut out of plywood. how long do plywood buildings stand up to gardenlife, before the plywood splits up?

Jim Rowson said:

This (and your already finished cliffhangers) is terrific. …

Yeah yeah yeah the cliffhangers are great…but anybody who knows how to use a parenthetical phrase is A-OKAY in my book!

I have wanted to make board and batt siding in individual boards for quite some time, so I spent 2 hours one Saturday cut 140 feet and

ran through a router table twice, making it was successful and fulfilling.

Thank you for all the very nice compliments,

to answer a couple questions,

the laser is a 45 watt epilog

The material is not plywood, it is 100% Redwood Lumber

The above picture shows how to set up a router to safely / quickly run many feet of siding through, the wooden fingers allow the siding to be held in place, there is a constant string of boards going through, one piece pushing the next piece through.

The picture below shows the siding being installed, using titebond 3 glue and mostly 3/8" headless 23 gauge pins.

The front porch has been installed and lap siding has been installed over the lean too, and yes the lap siding is also individual pieces.

The other end

The next picture is the aluminum sheeting being glued to the rafters and the wall tops. I prefer to use this method, because if any moisture gets under or through the shingles, it stays out of the inside,

This structure will be installed on our clubs train trailer