Large Scale Central

Gallows

Recently the sheriff noticed that bandits roamed in the surroundings, probably to plunder the bank or get rid of the ballast from the lumberjacks of their pay.
He ordered immediately the construction of a gallows to make them think and punish them if need

that looks good.

is the lever functional?

if yes, pics from the underside, please.

http://www.largescalecentral.com/filesharing/file/view/838/dsci1490-jpg

Sorry, it’s no functional

That looks great. Good idea.

What? What the hell is that? I thought you Frenchmen were partial to the guillotine? You know, French Revolution?

That looks great and will be the focal point of your town.

I’m sure it will get the attention of the bandits.

A cool idea and a Great job on construction .

That rope should have a Hangmans knot for the noose.

Like this

http://www.wikihow.com/Tie-a-Hangmans-Noose

Thanks for sharing

Rick

Actually, since the ropes are pre stretched, and then soaked in water before use, and only new ropes are (supposed) to be used. The gallows should sit without a noose on it until its time to stretch some bad-guy’s neck. But then, what fun is that? It sends a better message with a noose on it.

David Maynard said:

Actually, since the ropes are pre stretched, and then soaked in water before use, and only new ropes are (supposed) to be used. The gallows should sit without a noose on it until its time to stretch some bad-guy’s neck. But then, what fun is that? It sends a better message with a noose on it.

I am not sure if I am comfortable with your degree of knowledge on this subject

Devon, being as that you live way over there, and I live way over here, I don’t think you have anything to worry about.

“I sentence you to hang at noon tomorrow. Bring your own rope.”

I believe the Hangman supplied his own rope at formal hangings and any old rope would do at the Lynchings …(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

There have been educational shoot-em-ups with the traveling Man in black.

John

True. Executioners throughout history have been very concerned with their “tools”. When beheadings were popular(?) the technician would always use his own sword, or axe. Even when the Guillotine was invented, the executioner would bring his own machine, in many cases. There were many different styles of Guillotines used over the years (until recently, unbelievably). When hanging became the selected method, the executioner would, in many cases, make his own rope to his exacting specifications, and would tie the noose in his own style (not necessarily 13 “wraps” as is popularly thought) and many used a noose with the loop covered in leather so it would “slip” more easily to tighten at the perfect moment.

There! Now you know more than you ever imagined you’d want to know on that subject!

Yes, soaking the rope in water, or covering with leather, made the rope tighten easier. And the whole idea is that the rope is supposed to tighten and snap the neck of the person being hanged. If the rope properly dislocated a neck vertebra, severing the spinal cord, hanging was a quick death. If the rope didn’t tighten properly, or the drop wasn’t sufficient, the person would “dance on the end of the rope”, suffocating to death, for several minutes. Now, if the drop was too long, the person’s head would be separated from their body. A quick death, but rather messy. There were actually published “Drop tables”, so the hangman would know how far a person of a given weight should be allowed to drop, to properly snap their neck. And the hangmen would carefully measure out that much slack, so the person being hanged would die quick and clean.

Lynching were ad hock affairs, and none of what I said about professional hangmen, applies to a mob with a horse, a rope and a tree.

So Jean-Gilles…NOW you know you’re one of the family!

One guy (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-innocent.gif)trashed you out for not using a guillotine, and everyone else has de-railed the thread into a macabre (nice French word!) discussion of nooses.

Welcome home!

edit: oh, yeah, keep the posts coming.

During the French revolution, hundreds of people were guillotined. One day, three men were led up to die. One was a lawyer, one was a doctor,
and the third was an engineer.

The lawyer was to die first. He was led to the guillotine, the attending priest blessed him, and he knelt down and declared “As God is my witness, I am Innocent!”. He was then placed with his head on the guillotine. The blade was released, but stopped just inches from his neck. The priest, seeing an opportunity, quickly said, “Gentlemen, God has spoken and said this man is to be spared; we cannot kill him.” The executioner agreed, and the lawyer was set free.

The doctor was next. He was blessed by the priest, then also then knelt down and declared “As God is my witness, I am Innocent!”. He was then also placed his head on the guillotine… The blade was released, and again stopped just inches from his neck. Again the priest intervened: “Gentlemen, God has again spoken; we cannot kill this man.” The executioner agreed and the doctor was set free.

At last it was the engineer’s turn. He was blessed by the priest, and as he walked up to the guillotine, but before he placed his head on the guillotine, he looked up and said, “Oh, I see the problem! Got a wrench?”

You guys are sick, SICK!

That must be why I keep coming back.

Vic Smith said:

…“Oh, I see the problem! Got a wrench?”

Nice idea. We may have to think about adding one of those.

But out lynch crew is typically opposed to new ideas and if you let them swing until there is no meat on the bone, it really sends a message. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

We could do with a few of those over here these days.