Large Scale Central

Gallows

Todd Brody said:

Nice idea. We may have to think about adding one of those.

But out lynch crew is typically opposed to new ideas and if you let them swing until there is no meat on the bone, it really sends a message. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

So the big chook is there to strip the bones?

Graeme Price said:

So the big chook is there to strip the bones?

nope. that was the forum mascot. it was sent from layout to layout for taking pics.

untill… well, untill it disapeared under unclear circumstances…

PS: rumors have it, that it was in or near Kentucky…

Hello and thanks to all.
By showing you my modest gallows, I thought not that that it was going to arouse so much debate.
I redid the knot so that it is a more realistic appearance.

Ats better.

Now you’re talkin’ hangin’ J-G.

Well hung indeed!

But aren’t hangmen’s nooses supposed to have 13 loops?

Todd, not necessarily. Just like there aren’t always 13 steps up to the gallows platform.

Todd Brody said:

Well hung indeed!

But aren’t hangmen’s nooses supposed to have 13 loops?

seems to depend on local customs and/or regulations.

i have read about seven or nine loops.

Well, isn’t the person just as dead with 7 loops, as he would be with 9 loops, or 13 loops? And when making a noose with 13 loops, the knot becomes awfully long.

(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif)

I mean. Um. It appears that way in photographs. Yea, that’s what I meant.

From Wiki:

Number of Coils:

Each additional coil adds friction to the knot, which makes the noose harder to pull closed or open. The number of coils should therefore be adjusted depending on the intended use, the type and thickness of rope, and environmental conditions such as wet or greasy rope. Six to eight loops are normal when using natural ropes. One coil makes it equivalent to the simple running knot.

The number thirteen was thought to be unlucky. Consequently, in myth, if not in actual practice, thirteen coils were found in a hangman’s noose, a foreboding sign for those convicted to be hanged.

Woody Guthrie sings of the hangman using thirteen coils:

Did you ever see a hangman tie a hangknot?
I’ve seen it many a time and he winds, he winds,
After thirteen times he’s got a hangknot.

The knot is a large lever to wrench your head to the side, snapping your neck. If you’re lucky, as stated above.

No, if I am lucky, I will never wear a noose.

Well Jean-Gilles, nice work, too bad it quickly devolved into a massive Wikipedia search/strange knowledge for the group discussion of proper hanging technique and rope tying.

Actually, there are people who strive for this sort of detail (e.g., 13 steps) and unless they know it’s out there…