Large Scale Central

Bachman 45 ton Side Rods

How do you replace the brush spring in the motor block?

Personally, Jay, I’d send it on up to Philadelphia there.

Why? They can’t fix it. They have no parts.

If you really want a 45-tonner, then don’t send it in. They’ll charge you the $45 and send you a 4-6-0.

Which brush springs? Wheels or pivot?

I probably have those, as I gutted most of that out in conversion work.

TOC

Jay Root said:

How do you replace the brush spring in the motor block?

Which specific springs in the 45T locomotive are you referring to. Many of the springs are common across the produce line and can be purchased from Bachmann or obtained after market.

Stan

I have heard some horror stories about “non repairable” locos and receiving a different loco, like send in a heisler (hard to find) and get a shay back (common as dirt).

Going on now with the new N scale loco… but that is another story.

I agree with Stan, see if there are parts you can replace yourself. When the loco is long out of production it can be an issue.

Greg

For me, it was easy to ditch those parts. However, I no longer have them as I hard wired the trucks directly. Still, it’s one of my favorite projects.

Agree, as I have all these parts because I gutted them and started over like you.

With the revolving door (it seems) in Service, probably nobody there who is familiar with them anymore.

So…you’ll end up with something “current” with a $45 bill for “warranty”.

Guess (one guess only) how many times I have returned anything to them for service?

When Irv was still there, he would call me up for pickups for various items, as they had NONE, and I would mail them to his house so he could fix the loco…until the brass found out and put a stop to it.

Guess how much they care about actual service?

TOC

Bruce Chandler said:

For me, it was easy to ditch those parts. However, I no longer have them as I hard wired the trucks directly. Still, it’s one of my favorite projects.

Bruce said: “wired and hard”

This is the motor block that I am looking at that needs new springs. How do you insert a photo? What information is source supposed to be? Is there a limit to the size? Not user friendly.

Jay

http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/24934/picture-posting-tutorial

This is totally awesome! Do you have any information anywhere with details and photos? I’m impressed by your work. I’ve been “thinking” about converting a 45 tonner into a D&RGW 44 Tonner - in F scale.

Robert

Bruce Chandler said:

Robert,

Thanks. You can quickly find all of my work here at LSC via the Articles. Or just the boxcab directly.

Wow, hard to believe that was done 10 years ago!

Jay, did you ever solve your problem?

Greg

Greg

No, I have not received a good answer. I still do not understand what information the insert/edit image is looking for. I have a photo of the motor block with the insides exposed.

Jay

Backman 45T brush springs

I do not know if this worked.

Jay

Gentlemen

The instructions need to be updated for Windows 10. I got the image into an album, but could not get is posted.

Jay

Jay,

Here’s your photo…

Thank you Joe

The springs are in the little castings to the left and right of the white gears. They are attached to the PC board.

Jay

Jay Root said:

Gentlemen

The instructions need to be updated for Windows 10. I got the image into an album, but could not get is posted.

Jay

It would help if we knew what browser you are using. Windows 10 (or any other OS) should not be an issue. Things are slightly different with different browsers though. It is not a difficult operation once mastered. The “source” the insert window is asking for is the URL location of the file, in this case your photo location in your album. I was able to get to it by looking at the location of your avatar photo, which is in the same album. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Jay you can’t hide…