Large Scale Central

Reputation points

I’ve been doing a major rewrite of the reputation system, incorporating feedback from various people. You no longer have access to your absolute number. Your rating is one of “Well Respected”, “Respected”, “Mixed”, “Not Respected”, or “Inappropriate”, based on your good/bad reputation ratio.

I’ve also added expiring of bad reputation over 30 days old. You will keep your good reputation, so lapses of judgement don’t haunt you forever. I really want to encourage good behavior.

It turns out that the members that most loudly proclaim that bad reputation points don’t bother them are the ones most bothered by bad reputation points, if my emails are any indicator. That said, I’m pondering a one-time-only total reset of reputation points. Opinons?

I think a good decision, based on what I have seen and how people have handled it.

“wipe the slate clean” and start afresh with a new system also sounds like a good idea to me, but as you say, bad points reset after 30 days anyway, so I think either way works.

I do want to brown nose a bit (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)and say that looking into what should be a trivial matter and refining it into an even better process is appreciated. Oh and thanks again for the mark all read, by the way.

Regards, Greg

Don’t be messing with my points bro! I like my status just how it is!!

Sounds like a good idea, my one question is what title do people get if they don’t have any points good or bad? Is it just left blank?

I like the idea of getting notified that you earned points, but it seems that some people might hunt someone and find a post from years past to prove a point (plus or negative). This might complicate things, but could there be a way to only rate posts that say have been active in the last week? Or if you dig an old thread you have to reply/post before rating another user?

I like the new system.

Not sure it will influence the bad behavior, but it’s worth a shot. From what I’ve seen in public comments about bad rep points makes me think that in many cases the one who earned the bad rep didn’t realize they had said anything wrong and felt the negative rep was uncalled for. Some folks just don’t come across well in writing.

Can’t say I’ve seen anyone complain about positive rep (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

If you erase negative points after 30 days then rooster will have to work extremely hard and be an exceptional ass in order to continue to be “not respected”; even harder if he chooses to pursue “inappropriate”. I don’t want to stress him out.(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Devon Sinsley said:

If you erase negative points after 30 days then rooster will have to work extremely hard and be an exceptional ass in order to continue to be “not respected”; even harder if he chooses to pursue “inappropriate”. I don’t want to stress him out.(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Fortunately, he is good at this, that is why we keep him around. Someone has to serve as a “bad example.” (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

We love you, Roos. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-innocent.gif)

Craig Townsend said:
Sounds like a good idea, my one question is what title do people get if they don’t have any points good or bad? Is it just left blank? I like the idea of getting notified that you earned points, but it seems that some people might hunt someone and find a post from years past to prove a point (plus or negative). This might complicate things, but could there be a way to only rate posts that say have been active in the last week? Or if you dig an old thread you have to reply/post before rating another user?

You get branded a Rodney Dangerfield if you get No Respect!

Craig Townsend said:
Sounds like a good idea, my one question is what title do people get if they don’t have any points good or bad? Is it just left blank? I like the idea of getting notified that you earned points, but it seems that some people might hunt someone and find a post from years past to prove a point (plus or negative). This might complicate things, but could there be a way to only rate posts that say have been active in the last week? Or if you dig an old thread you have to reply/post before rating another user?

Someone can always abuse the system. Once. Remember, our BD can view what has been done and take the appropriate action, if any. I believe the whole idea behind this “self-policing” system is to make LSC a friendlier place.

If you do get a negative reputation point, it is probably time to reconsider your tone. That point may have been given for that specific post, or maybe it’s just the straw that broke the camel’s back and it’s just time to back off in general. It is certainly not the time to strike back.

Bruce,
I would agree, but it’s really weird to get a reputation point for a post from years back…

For example, I received a negative point for a post in 2013 about a week ago, and then just a few hours ago received a positive point for a different post back in 2013 as well. I just find it strange that someone would have the time, or desire to go “hunting” for posts for years or months back just to raise or lower the reputation of someone. I don’t have that time!

Statue of limitations for points to be given/taken away?

Well, there is one member, who, when he doesn’t like someone for disagreeing with him, will find posts to ding the person who disagreed with him. I don’t think the reputation points should be used that way. So to have points (good or bad) expire might be a good thing, or it might negate the whole point of the system. You can look at it either way.

To start fresh may be a good idea. Bob, its your call, since its your sandbox. Me, I think people will like who they like, and dislike who they dislike, regardless of what reputation label or ratio they have.

Has (or should have) nothing to do with popularity or agreement David. If given for good reason and taken in good faith, they are a way of anonymously saying either You get it, or You don’t get it - get it?

And how do you know “one member” dings people who don’t agree with you? I’ve handed out a few, both good and bad, and every time I give a bad one the receiver blames someone else for it. If you talk badly about another member, deserving or not, I’ll probably give you a negative. If you make a statement that significantly contributes to the community I’ll probably give you a positive.

I hope I’m not too late to go against the removal of negative points.

You’ve done well so far in this latest edition of LSC. Some great improvements and a self control system that is working the way it should in most cases. I’m sure there are both positive and negative rep points that were unearned by the respective member. But all-in-all the sniping and inappropriate post are gone and it has become enjoyable to read through all the forums again.

Time will further balance things out. You have done well in getting a good bit of what you were striving for into the site. Friends sharing info on trains. I say cudo’s for you and leave it be.(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

I’m happy to be here! I do like the removal of the hard number fwiw

and for Rooster, a new avatar

Daktah John, lets just say, from my seat, it seams obvious what happened.

No need to reset points for all. In 30 days, the negative ones will have disappeared anyway.

If someone needs a fresh start just be nice for 30 days…

Daktah: David is right, I observed what happened to him. The person issuing the “retaliatory” negative rep was searching for who gave him a negative rep. He picked David… he did not realize that it could have been someone not even posting on the thread.

If you look at and read that thread it will become obvious… but 'nuff said, I think the comments so far on this thread have been right on.

Greg

Bruce Chandler said:

No need to reset points for all. In 30 days, the negative ones will have disappeared anyway.

Bruce, if only… If someone can go back to something posted last year and issue a reputation point, is that point considered a year old already, or is it brandy new?

David Maynard said:

Bruce Chandler said:

Bruce, if only… If someone can go back to something posted last year and issue a reputation point, is that point considered a year old already, or is it brandy new?

Exactly my point, thus my idea. A new person to the forum is going to search for those old posts if they are looking for information about that subject, and I would think highly unlikely to rate someone, but rather say thanks, or if they need more information post and bring the thread back to life. At that point in time, both the old and new users could rate or-rate the posts ( if so inclined). Granted this would require a lot more code to be written. I just thought it might be another way to self police from “payback” points regardless of the original source (or implied source) of negative points.

Daktah John said:

Has (or should have) nothing to do with popularity or agreement David. If given for good reason and taken in good faith, they are a way of anonymously saying either You get it, or You don’t get it - get it?

And how do you know “one member” dings people who don’t agree with you? I’ve handed out a few, both good and bad, and every time I give a bad one the receiver blames someone else for it. If you talk badly about another member, deserving or not, I’ll probably give you a negative. If you make a statement that significantly contributes to the community I’ll probably give you a positive.

I don’t know, but I’ll just say it’s very interesting to receive a PM from a member with a time stamp, and only a few moments before or after a PM notification that you received a reputation point (good or bad). I’ve had both and thought, hum I wonder who gave me that point… Overall I think the system works good.