Large Scale Central

Getting another build off my bucket list... a BL2

Over the past 5 years I have been collecting bits and pieces for one of my want to do’s. After finally getting most of the materials together and figuring more research would be a waste of time I got started. I pulled my donor engine out of it’s box and got to work.(Finally going under the knife Ralph ;))

First up after dismantling the donor was a new frame, which was cut from 1/4" acrylic along with recreating truck mounts out of the same.

I figured out which circuitry I wanted to keep and drilled corresponding holes,

I found I needed some odd size tubing for the stock weights and lucked out with some scrap string tie ends that were perfect.So these were cut for the job.

Here they are holding the weights.

Next was to start cutting the pieces. These are out of some .125 thick plastic from a tub enclosure

All of the main side pieces were cut.

Next up were the forms for the nose and the main part of the rear roof and tail.All of which will need to be sanded to shape.

With the side piece in place.

As I get time to work on it I’ll post updates.!

Nice progress, Hollywood…

lookin good Hollywood. looking forward to the progress.

Hey, you have any of those fans available? I think I one would work perfect for my NSOCS build.

I suspect those are from the GP7 donor he started out with…So you can prolly gettum from the parts Dept…

Is it done yet?

And just what it is you are building?

My turn - Is it done yet?

Lou Luczu said:

And just what it is you are building?

My turn - Is it done yet?

EMD BL-2

Whats a BL-2?

Will it have ditch lights and HEP cables ?

Considered by some to be the ugliest engine ever built…I think they’re cool as heck!

David Russell said:

Whats a BL-2?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMD_BL2

BL-2 was EMDs attempt to take their very successful Covered Wagon F unit and create a more versatile road switcher version. It didnt quite work, while unlike the F-units, it had platforms front and rear, access from one end to the other was either made on the ground or was through the carbody which was difficult at best, maintenance access to the mechanics was also hampered by the carbody, and despite the platforms the cab still had ladder access at the sides, all these made them unpopular with crews and maintenance personnel, EDM learned its lessons and learned them well, the replacement took all these lessons and integrated them into the GP-7/9 model that followed. the rest they say, is history.

Nice work so far. Even if its a powered boxcar. :wink:

Thank you gents for the comments. And thank you Bob for the title help

Nice job Dave, Your off to a great start.

Nick

OK, so that’s what it is. In that case it’s lookin’ good, H.

David Russell said:

Whats a BL-2?

Rooster??? A BL-2 is 2 servings of Bacon & Lettuce on a sammich, with no tomato… :slight_smile:

No lights and cables required…

Andy Clarke said:

David Russell said:

Whats a BL-2?

Rooster??? A BL-2 is 2 servings of Bacon & Lettuce on a sammich, with no tomato… :slight_smile:

No lights and cables required…

Mmmm…Bacon

(http://i.imgur.com/bpo24.jpg)

I know they sell smoke for engines in different scents ----- I wonder if they have bacon-flavored smoke?

No, my idea I thought of it first. I’m rich, I’m rich!

I managed to get a little modeling time together this past week. So an update is in order.

I spent a bit of time rough sanding the wood sections to their basic shape. These will get final sanding as the parts are ready to be assembled.

Next was getting the long roof angled and notched for the sides.

Side pieces

Next the nose sides were added.

Former’s were cut and the pieces were test fitted before proceeding.

The submarine looking side pieces set out off the main body, so filler was needed to get the space. The wood strips are the filler, the gray plastic is the inside form, and the red plastic is the main body.

Now I need to cut the doors and windows out , before I can go much further.

…(http://www.freethoughtnation.com/components/com_comment/joscomment/emoticons/funny/images/smile.png)…