OK....A few mods(which I call easy) that can be done too these cars that make them look a bit better. As Tim Brien stated in another thread these cars are really good looking and well made right out of the box. One of the issues I didn't like was the clear marker lights on the end of the cars as they should be red. This is an easy fix as you just slide the doors open and remove the clear plastic sprue. I then just dabbed some red paint on the back of the sprue and reinserted it. This makes for very pleasing results. I also used a back and blue sharpie too color in the HEP cable ports. These are a molded piece and can easily be removed.
The next thing I did was body mounted Kadee couplers. The G gauge #820's work perfect. First you remove the truck (one screw in the center) then flip it over on the car. There are 2 screws that hold the factory mounted coupler arm too the truck, remove them and loosen the 2 screws on the outside below the springs. You don't need to remove the outer screws just loosening them up will give you enough clearance too remove the coupler arm. I suppose I could have cut the arm but if I ever want too put them back like they were I opted too remove the whole arm.
Next I made a bracket from 1/4" pvc board CA'ed together. I removed the 2 screws that hold the end frame of the car and replace them with #4 x3/4 screws with washers. I inserted the factory screws on the outside holes of the coupler box so they wouldn't get lost. One screw in the center of the Kadee box will secure the coupler as the tang on the box slides flush against the car. "NOTE" I BASED MY MOD'S ON A 4.5 Radius OR 9' DIAMETER CURVE anything less will probably not work. Being that the cars are coupled so tightly the factory hard plastic diaphram's will not work so I removed these (they are pinned with a pressed fit) and added USA trains PA1 rubber diaphrams that I cut down for just the center section. If your using the factory couplers and want the rubber diaphram's these will probably work right out of the box.
Some before and after pics.(Note) I already shaved down the coupler arm(on the before pics) as they were very long from the factory.
I'm currently working on the Genesis Loco and will update shortly