Large Scale Central

Yard plan

Bruce Chandler said:
This is a great discussion. It’s interesting to see the evolution of the design. One thing I would HIGHLY recommend is to get some cars on that track and try it out. I didn’t and later found out that if I had only built my tracks about 8" longer I could have held another car on each of my yard tracks. I ended up extending my yard, but it would have been a LOT easier if I had tried to operate first. So not just cars, but can you put a loco on there and try out some moves?

I’m on track power. The yard complex is isolated from the main. I’m sure I will probably have to isolate spots within the yard too. The track in the yard and the approach are not yet properly connected. I have a few sections that need cut. I would have liked to make the two A/D tracks longer…but I would have had to drop one track from the yard to do so. The yard itself is now a little shorter…I’ve run out of track. But it can be lengthened easily enough. Ralph

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/cabby/_forumfiles/GRR5009Medium.jpg)

Ralph, looking good and it seems that you have achieved a well balanced compromise of the necessary features less a caboose track.
Dave

Ralph, looks great now. I like the way you have it.

David Marconi said:
Ralph, looking good and it seems that you have achieved a well balanced compromise of the necessary features less a caboose track. Dave
Thanks Dave..........Shawn too.

I’ve run out of switches and track. I’ll add a caboose track eventually.
It was quite a process. I bet I picked up each piece of track several dozen times or more over the 2 1/2 days.
I didn’t think I had it in me to bend over that many times :slight_smile:
It was worth the effort. I am really happy with the results.
And there is still a lot of work left to do before it is operational.
Ralph

Ralph,

Great looking trackage, I think this is a great operational track plan. Do you have an overall track plan you can show?

Ric Golding said:
Ralph,

Great looking trackage, I think this is a great operational track plan. Do you have an overall track plan you can show?

Thanks Ric.
No plan I can post. I’ll see what I can work up. It may be a few days though. First I have to locate the software. The last time I had to reinstall Windows I didn’t take the time to reinstall all the other software I had.

Right now I have a 16 foot passing siding for the freight station and a 40 or 50 foot passing siding for the passenger station.

Unfortunately, the complexity of the yard ate up the switches I had planned to use for several industrial sidings.
I’m taking things one step at a time. For now I can run trains. Eventually I’ll be able to “operate” trains.
Fortunately, I’m happy doing either, or both :slight_smile:
Ralph

Pretty cool, the fun is the trip not the destination. Just keep us posted.