Large Scale Central

🗺️ What’s your Favourite Map in 2024?

Maps

I’ve always been intrigued by maps and occasionally my feed will pop some interesting map related story. Do you have a cool map to post? It could be a map of your layout, or of a trip you’ve made…

Railways To Nowhere

I was quite surprised by this.

During the Industrial Revolution in America, railroads were seen as the future of transportation and commerce. Companies raced to lay tracks, believing that every city, town, and settlement would soon be connected by rail. This led to a frenzy of railroad expansion, with investors pouring money into new ventures, often without fully considering the long-term feasibility or demand for some of these routes. Railroads were constructed to reach even the most remote areas, often in hopes that the arrival of rail service would spark economic growth in these regions.

However, by 1893, this speculative boom came crashing down during what became known as the Panic of 1893. This financial crisis was one of the most severe in U.S. history and marked a turning point for the railroad industry. The economy fell into a deep depression, leading to widespread bank failures, bankruptcies, and unemployment. Railroad companies, many of which were over-leveraged and dependent on continued investment and growth, faced severe financial difficulties. Numerous railroads went bankrupt, and construction projects were abandoned.

As a result, many of these incomplete railroads led to “nowhere,” cutting through landscapes without reaching their intended destinations or serving populations large enough to sustain them.

These ghost railroads, remnants of a once-ambitious vision of connectivity, are scattered across the country and someone put together this map.

Railroad To Nowhere

If you’re curious about how many USA’s fit into Australia or perhaps flamingo migration patterns, or want to know where Canadians live? The link is below.

my favorite map?
if i’m not misunderstanding your question, this:

goth-map

You’ll need to re-post this in 6 months, because ”summer is coming” just doesn’t sound like the right reply right now. :hot_face:

Can I change my mind?

This map shows what is reportedly the longest train trip you can take on the planet.

My favorite RR map would be this one of the East Branch and Lincoln logging railroad in NH

The old roadbed are now hiking trails and I’ve been on all of them over the years. I have some spikes I found while backpacking there. I’ve always wanted to build this bridge on my RR, or even in a smaller scale. It’s full of backwoods charm, including the horse path bridge on the bottom.

1 Like

Folks;

While not published in 2024, I would have to say the map shown below is my favorite - partly for its family history.

In 1935 my uncle, Carl Gingrich, received a trip to Germany as a college graduation present. (He could speak fluent German, as his grandfather had immigrated from there, and only allowed German to be spoken at the supper table.) As part of the trip, he received the brochure below (printed in English). One side extols the centennial of Germany’s railway system, the other has a full map of said system. It is getting rather fragile, so I don’t open it too often, but it shows a glimpse or that country prior to WWII.

Regards, David Meashey

3 Likes

Honestly my favorite map is this one and it’s been my favorite for the last 30yrs!
What’s funny is all you need is a compass and a measuring device and it’s TRULY TO SCALE (taking advantage of CAPS LOCK whoever that is). 30yrs ago it took me places that never heard of the internet and today it takes me places that the internet cannot go!

Now with that said I’d like to give a “SHOUT OUT” to those Rhode Island guys!

1 Like

Let’s not forget those…