Large Scale Central

Water Tank at Rowson

I am delighted to see that there will be flaws (no matter how well hidden) in the Rowson yard. Fitting for sure.

Question: why do the bands appear not to be smoothly flowing across the spout support?

It looks like that whole section is pushed out relative to the rest of the tank.

1 Like

I give up. What’s wrong with the print?

Looks good to me.

I don’t know what Devon is worried about, this is the thing that caught my eye and caused me to ask the question above:

The bands seem to “jump” in a couple of places around the circumference of the tank. That doesn’t seem to me to be a print quality problem, but I’m not at all sure it even is a problem, hence my question.

It is Jim, And I have no idea why. It is not designed that way. I have printed it in four times in different orientations and I get a different type of failed print each time.

What you are noticing is the most recent one. It has a matching sag on the opposite side. So one side bulges and the other sags. I think I know what happened but not 100% sure. The bulged section was furthest away from the build plate. and the opposite sag closest. I think the center of the cylinder was not well enough supported and as the one side bulged out it puled the other side with it from the internal supports.

It was designed smooth but as my friend says “that’s 3D printing”. It happens. I think IF i were to redo it the same orientation would be fine but I could model in some braces in the center and it wouldn’t happen and you wouldn’t see them. But I don’t think I want to waste anymore resin trying to get a cleaner print. I think this one at the end of the day will be fine. Its up on the ceiling and I can turn it so as to mask the flaws.

Or if it concerns you sand that part off and add a strip of styrene on something else in the proper spot

1 Like

For crying out loud! 10’ rule guys …been preaching it for years and it works!

Print a ladder and put it over the flaw if it bothers you.

1 Like

Honestly I don’t think its bother me as much as others. I like roosters Idea of a ladder. Was going to make one anyways now I will just extend it to the roof.

But no ten foot rule really more like the 8 foot rule since it will be at the ceiling.

I really am not all that concerned. Hence why it got painted.

I dug out my engine house from a previous MIK. This is the piece that led to not only the sand house but the water tank. This will be the heart of the yard at Rowson. But since it was not made for the ceiling I had a sneaking suspicion it was going to be too tall. And it is. So I will have to drop it down below the height of the tracks so it scrapes the ceiling. And I can forget about actually using it to hold a engine. It will have to be just for show. Which is fine. I will put the tank and the sand house behind it and up at the level of the tracks which will give them some forced perspective and make them look taller.

10’ is easier to equate as it can be divided by 5 where 8 cannot however they can both be divided by 2. My house has 11’ ceilings ?