Large Scale Central

Want to see something ugly?

TonyWalsham said:
You have heard of a boneshaker. Perhaps this is where the name came from.

Aaaah!!! the joys of Tasmanian motoring in the early 20th Century

Tony, Canuck term for those roads: corduroy roads. Back East there were remnants of at least a section of this type of construction right adjacent to our property line. Yep, part of our property was Class 1 wetlands aka “really valuable swamp” :wink: :slight_smile:

BTW.
Those Tasmanian pictures were scanned from a long out of print sotbound book.

“Tasmania Remembered”. The early pictures of HJ King.

It includes all sorts of neat stuff including early aviation and boats as well as the trains.

TonyWalsham said:
I reckon modern day work safety inspectors would have something to say about this Tasmanian mine.
Oops. Da nice safety inspector done tripped and fallen into the mine.
Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Canuck term for those roads: corduroy roads.
Also known in Ontario as 400-series highways.

Some history. Heres what that engine looked like when first built, before being rebuilt with the high cab.

Apparently, like the Zephyers, the engineers hated the low exposed front end cabs and were convinced that any grade crossing accident would be there last, so the union griped enough to get SF to rebuild the engines with the higher cab location, result? Happy engineers, UGLY engine. Now for really ugly, or just plan odd, who of you is going to drive this down the street with a straight face?

I don’t find that all that ugly…a bit strange…but not ugly. And I’d drive it in a heartbeat. In fact I’d convert it to a motor home and show up at Marty’s in September driving it…:lol:

Me too!!!
Reminds me of the guy in Moses Lake, Wa, who has a street legal replica of a BN Geep.
I got some pics of it somewhere, but can’t find 'em…:frowning: :frowning:
jb

While I really like trains, thats just a tad off the deep end for me… :wink:

I drove over a Corduroy road up near Witney Ontario, years ago…looked about the same as your pictures…was that near your “Eastern Colony”, Hans…?

Shucks, I’d drive the Oscar Meyer Weenermobile if someone gave it to me…:smiley:

By the way I saw it going through town not too long ago.

That RV is cool. I wonder if the DMV gave him any hassle about the single headlight?