Large Scale Central

Trestle Bridge help

Don Howard said:

Slide on connectors.

In Vermont almost all the members of the Vermont Garden Railway Society switch to either Hillmann or Split Jaw or other rail clamps.

Why?

Most of our tracks are outdoors and are left there year round.

The temperature can swing from near 95F in Summer to -20 or below:-( in Winter.

In winter the track shrinks a little bit away from the slide on connector-over a few years grit from the ballast sneaks in and causes electrical continuity problems.

The railway is elevated above the ground and I use battery power so the grit issue should reduced and no continuity problems will exist.

Clamps designed for over the slide on connector still allow the freeze shrink:frowning:

I have some of these clamps and used them on my previous layout that was subject to greater temperature swings and did not have problems, any joints on my curves were soldered and reinforced with the clamps.

Most joints are replaced by rail clamps, particularly at switches.

I have a few Split Jaw clamps that I will be using

The old layout only had one temperature related issue and that was on a Hillman rail clamp the type used for a take out bridge the line contracted about 6mm in winter but expanded to be about 2mm in summer at that point. I resorted to using a small piece of track dropped in to eliminate the gap in winter.

More added cost, but SO easy on the hands and knees and joints :slight_smile:

Yes cost is a factor not of the clamps but the postage to get them here.

GAP said:

Rooster ’ said:

I would actually be more concerned about the joist on the far right not set on the bent as opposed to the rest of the suggestions currently given so far !

Rooster

That joist is glued and nailed to the bent the nail goes in at an angle, it is also glued to the cross brace and the other joist, it also comes into the area at an angle as opposed to the others that are in a straighter line.

I have decided to add a walkway across the back, after many suggestions from numerous forum members both on here and another in the UK, so extra strength will come from there.

I am fairly confident that this thing is not going anywhere in a big hurry once it is finished.

Ok …well that will handle the weight of a train so carry on then !

Rooster ’ said:

GAP said:

Rooster ’ said:

I would actually be more concerned about the joist on the far right not set on the bent as opposed to the rest of the suggestions currently given so far !

Rooster

That joist is glued and nailed to the bent the nail goes in at an angle, it is also glued to the cross brace and the other joist, it also comes into the area at an angle as opposed to the others that are in a straighter line.

I have decided to add a walkway across the back, after many suggestions from numerous forum members both on here and another in the UK, so extra strength will come from there.

I am fairly confident that this thing is not going anywhere in a big hurry once it is finished.

Ok …well that will handle the weight of a train so carry on then !

Edit

Well blunder along anyway. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

It was not so much the weight of the train I was worried about but toppling caused by a derailment whatever the cause.

But I did go out and have another close look at the joint and the joist is nailed to both the bent and the cross member, while I was at it I checked out all the other joints and am happy with all of them.

I am really serious about this trestle being perfect as my pride and joy (Bachmann 3 truck Shay) will be crossing it hence the extra caution I am taking.

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/FileSharing/user_3049/GAPs%20Pictures/P1050551.JPG)

Can you span a couple of bents with a longer piece to help strengthen it. You’re just relying on short pieces … Try to stagger the joints …

Sean McGillicuddy said:

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/FileSharing/user_3049/GAPs%20Pictures/P1050551.JPG)

Can you span a couple of bents with a longer piece to help strengthen it. You’re just relying on short pieces … Try to stagger the joints …

With the walkway across the back, I was planning on cutting it out of long pieces to give further strength and using long pieces for the edge I am putting on it.

Those edge pieces in the picture are just sitting there unattached so that I could get an idea of what it looks like.

The glue I am using is called “Landscape Liquid Nails” it is designed to glue masonry/concrete blocks, timber and other landscape materials, it looks like silicone but is not a silicone and it allows expansion and contraction of joints.

I used it on the lower trestle which is made from plastic molding and I have used it on garden edging concrete blocks and they have not moved at all.

Walkway with edge is now in, I use one log piece at the start but quickly found that I had to use short pieces between each bent due to the fact it is on a curve.

Just wait … leave some out for mother nature to play with and use the curved wood …