Large Scale Central

TrainOps

Advance the date one day. When the program first sets itself up, it assumes that the day is ‘done’. Advancing one day will get your “need/have” clock running.

Matheson should be in on this, but he refuses to look in here. Bruce; you might have a few words with him.

This system might be of more use to us than RailOps. How do they compare ?

Are there any limitations in this system that wouldn’t be found on RailOps ?

Fred,
I would never try to talk someone out of something that they are already successful with. TrainOps is really designed for a simpler level than RailOps.

When Bob and I first started discussions, we were really aiming at single person operations. Very few of us can set up something like you have on the IPP&W.

Bob has done a great job with TrainOps, but, to me, it’s targeting a different audience.

Bruce…I was NOT suggesting, “Talking someone OUT of something”…more like broadening their horizons…!!!
As you say, Bob’s programme is directed more to the one man operation, and that is what Doug would be looking at on his pike.

As far as our IPP&W; I’m only interested in keeping informed of all options. It looks like Bob, you, and the “Test Crew” are developing a great option, and I want to stay abreast of it as it develops.

OK - Ive been experimenting with TrainOps for about 24 hours. I’ve discovered that trying to set any train operation system up requires that you get organized. When I rebuilt my indoor division I never relocated any of my place names from the old layout, but setting up TrainOps is forcing me to do that. It’s a good thing.

By the time I’m done entering my layout into the program I’ll have a much better idea of what I’ve got and how I want to operate it.

HEheheI know what ya mean Jon. I’ve made revisions down in On30 world, at least in my mind…and will have to change my database to accomodate it all…

OK -

I think I have enough data in the program to give it a test run. I selected Run Trains/Run, selected a train and hit Build Train. All OK so far - the screen report (details) looks fine. I click on Forms and nothing happens. I also tried Reports and nothing happens. I print from other programs OK.

Am I missing a step?

Jon,
Did the “formal” switchlist open when you built the train? It should open up Adobe Reader to display.

For the forms, make sure that the train you want the forms for is selected. But…it sounds like Adobe could be the issue…

Nope, No Adobe pop up. Let me see what happens at home. I have Acrobat Pro on my work machine. It can give calls to ‘Reader’ fits.

Next question… Is there a way to put it back to where there are no cars anywhere, like it was just before I built the first train. Not a big deal if not.

I’m at am impasse, too…can’t get the “build train” thingy to work…I think Bob is working on it if the update he sent me is working correctly.

Jon: It uses adobe reader to read the files. if something has messed up whatever launches pdf files, then that could be an issue.

Ken: We’ll figure this out, something isnt quite right.

Nope. Adobe Reader not launching at home either. I can double click any .PDF file and it opens fine. It also works to open PDF files inside the browser.

Bob - You’ve got mail.

Seems like a good program so far…easy enough to use…Appreciate you doin sumthin like this.

I second that. TrainOps looks like it will do exactly what I would want in a simple to use and understand format.

I too appreciate all the effort that has gone into it. I hope we aren’t overwhelming you with bug reports. I’ll be one of the first to pony up $45 for the release version. It’s well worth it.

Jon, You should be able to access those PDF files. Mine are stored in C:\Documents and Settings\Bruce\Local Settings\Temp - your directory structure might be a bit different.

It is strange. I had an issue just like that…Bob got it fixed somehow.

I’m positive Bob will get this to work. It really is pretty neat the way it operates.

Thanks Bruce - That’s the right path (with the exception of Bruce). I see an SQL Lite file show up there when I launch the program.

It looks like the PDF Files are not being created with the Reports button. No files show up in that folder.

I tried to build a new train, but it won’t do that either. All the cars in the yard are set as Empty and it needs loads at IN industries. There are some loads out at the industries but even if I advance the date several times, it never wants to pick up the loads at industries that generate OUT cars.

Ken - Is that the same problem you are having ?

Ken Brunt said:
Pretty kewl..................I may have to look into that...................when you guys get all the bugs out......;)
Never touch a program before version 2, unless it's Excel, in which case make that version 5c.

For those of you unfamiliar with software development, welcome to the reality!!!

I used to run the Tech Support department for a small (50 employees) software developer. The QA departement was in the next group of cubicles. I’m pretty sure that most of the QA happened after the software got to the real world. You just can’t simulate infinitely varied environments in the lab.

I didn’t expect TrainOps to be a ready for prime time product. There are lots of advantages to getting involved with a project like this. It’s well worth the minor pain in getting the bugs worked out.

Fred Ottusch said:
Bob, My railroad is also a"shortline' in that one local operates from the southend north to the middle and then returns south while another local starts at the northend works its way south to the middle and then works back north. The plan is the northend local runs first, leaves cars destined for the southend of the railraod at the middle town and returns north. When that job has completed its run then I operate the other local so that only one train operates at a time exchanging each others car at the middletown.

Thanks, Fred

Fred -

We have a prototype here in Western Connecticut. The Housatonic RR does almost the exact same thing. They actually split into thirds and interchange between trains at two points, but it’s the same basic idea. Trains in my area, Danbury, CT originate to the North at New Milford in the early AM. Overnight a train originated further north at North Caanan and delivered cars for the South end and picked up cars going North. That North Caanan to New Milford train has no customers so it runs express.

Jon,
Funny you should mention the Housatonic RR, My 2 friends & I will be arriving around Pittsfield early Thursday afternoon (Oct 9) to railfan that and hopefully on Friday 2 other “shortlines” in Ct, Sat we plan to “hit” the Tourist Lines.
Fred