Large Scale Central

Tracks to the Launching Pad

John Passaro said:

Rockets. Before Kennedy got himself shot down there in Dallas he had all us kids all worked up about rockets and space. A friend of mine and I decided to harvest some gunpowder from his dad’s 30-06 shells to use as propulsion for our homemade rocket. It was a thing of beauty…Robert Goddard had nothing on us!

Thanks to our brilliant idea to use a long piece of yarn soaked in gasoline as our ignition mechanism, I survived the explosion.

OK brother, about 8 years before you I was also opening shot gun shells for the powder … not for rockets but for bang.

I wish I knew about the stuffing a rocket as all my attempts went Phffffft.

Well the lad in me did…

Paul said:

Tim said:

Paradise? Compared to some places, I suppose. Winters tend to be long, cold, and dark, though. And there was a 160,000+ acre forest fire not that far from me for almost the entire summer.

Don’t for get the bears, moose and those pesky earthquakes we get.

I’m closing my ears and going “na-na-na-na-na-na-na” really loud!

But, I do remember a while back I saw an entire one-hour show on the educational channel about bears “visiting” towns and cities in Alaska. We get a lot of black bears here in Colorado, but they’re nothing like those big brown bears and polar bears you guys get.

Had a little black bear go after my trash - once. Didn’t find it that interesting. Another one mauled a guy on my route a few years ago.

Moose visit my yard all the time. Got pics of the momma moose and kids that bedded down in my yard - just feet from the living room window - a couple weeks back. (one day I’ll have to figure out how to post pics here)

and yes, there are the shakers. The last one of note was a ‘roller’ that checked in at something like 7.6, though I thought it was about 5.6 at the time.