Large Scale Central

Track spacing for non-operating storage?

Hello all,

I’m finally getting some shelves up to dedicate to storing rolling stock. The idea will be to have the cars arranged like books on a shelf (short ends towards the wall) to try and get as much density as possible while still keeping cars easily accessible.

I want to create some sort of track stand-in so they can roll on and off the shelf into a carrier of my choice, but I don’t know how closely I can pack them together. Is there a “standard” distance that should work, or is it going to vary heavily based on the cars I have?

My own research has dug up information about track spacing and considerations when running trains or setting up a switch yard, but I don’t need to worry about curves and overhangs. In this situation, I’m going for pure density and ease of access (don’t want cars snagging other cars, etc).

Thanks!

Hi Benjamin. What scale are you running? That will determine spacing.

I built storage shelves based on shelves at Al Pomeroy’s railroad. The thread that resulted in building storage shelves for Fn3 is here: Too many cars ! - #5 by JRad

I’ve managed to acquire some LGB stuff + Bachmann items in the same scale, along with some older Aristo items, so I guess it runs the gamut from 1:22.5 to 1:29. I don’t have any 1:32 items that I’m aware of.

Some Bachman is 1:20.3 I believe.

try two 1:20.3 pieces of rolling stock
see how close you can space them such that you can get your fingers on either side…
this would be my limit, and even then you cannot re-rail cars in “open spots”