Large Scale Central

Track Crossing for Humans

Jon Radder said:
Ric Golding said:
Jon and Dave,

How about a washer on the outside of the axle at the diameter of the wheel and as you said clean after each pass?

Yes - just need to make the tread about .125 or so wider. The only issue is with locos that have sliders. They will pass but you can here it scraping on the cement.

Keep going. They’ll scrape it down soon enough. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sliders? Damn, I thought removing them was just an extra step in removing a newly purchased locomotive from the box.

John Miller said:
Sliders? Damn, I thought removing them was just an extra step in removing a newly purchased locomotive from the box.
I've only got a few USA locos that had sliders and traction tires. I rebuilt one without either and it doesn't perform very well on track power. When I get around to converting them to trail-car power the problem will be solved :)

Hello
Here is a thought.
I have a spot in the garden where I needed to get a garden wagon over the track and this is what I did… The section is 5 feet long. I took PT 2x4’s cut to length and screwed them together to make a U shape. This U shape is very shallow, the edges come up to just the rail head so cars like a snow plow or track cleaner will not get hung up. I supported the 2x4 structure with patio blocks to keep it level and placed gravel around and under it to keep water from pooling. The track fit nice and tight inbetween the 2x4’s. I have had this in place for 3 years now and it is holding up very well.
Todd

Todd Haskins said:
Hello Here is a thought. I have a spot in the garden where I needed to get a garden wagon over the track and this is what I did.. The section is 5 feet long. I took PT 2x4's cut to length and screwed them together to make a U shape. This U shape is very shallow, the edges come up to just the rail head so cars like a snow plow or track cleaner will not get hung up. I supported the 2x4 structure with patio blocks to keep it level and placed gravel around and under it to keep water from pooling. The track fit nice and tight inbetween the 2x4's. I have had this in place for 3 years now and it is holding up very well. Todd
Thats a neat idea.. tks.. Never thought of that. I have in our walk way, one place that is 7 foot wide to cross. Maybe here in our area, use Ceder 2 X 4's. Darn treated pine or what ever it is from Homedepot dry rots.

Todd, that’s a great idea. I have two crossings that need that solution. Just added it to my “To Do” list! Thanks!