Large Scale Central

Thoughts on scaling buildings

I’m in no-man’s land, modeling the (standard gauge) V&T with commercially available products (G-gauge track, with mainly Bachmann locos).

So 1:24 is fine with me, just because it’s easy, and close.

If I had visitors who might care, that would be another factor. But since I and my wife and relatives, and maybe neighbors, and others who don’t care, are the only ones who’ll see my layout (well, Hollywood came by a couple years ago, thanks Dave [edit] Didn’t mean to diss my other buddies who’ve been by, Jerry, Bruce, thanks!!), I’m backing off my purism stage of life.

I’m trying to embrace the factor of fun and joy, and dismiss the engineering angst of exact scale.

Life is short, as I’m finding out.

Cliff

1 Like

I do …

My cars are a bit shorter than 3’6 but they are not scale buildings?

Fence posts are 8’ oc…it’s all about the eye and how it travels. Said it before saying it again? Sorry for the short train and lack of buildings.

Speaking of Hollywood , what happened to Dave , have not seen him around much , or I’m missing all his posts or comments

Interesting thoughts. I received a pola building and immediately realized that it was scaled far too large for what I had in mind, I will have extremely limited space for any buildings or structures so I’ve been experimenting with other scales, like converting an O scale Plasticville bank building to 1/25ish G and using military 1/35 building kits. So far the experimenting is paying off.

Over the years did model in HOn3 and Sn3 and was pretty much a rivet counter, but those scales are long gone and now G scale LGB 1:22.5 is my scale of choice. I only went with LGB because over the last 40 years I purchased a lot of it, ( U S models only ) no European models. I did sell off the LGB that had more value then say the same model in a different paint scheme, because I do repaint and rebuild my models to my liking and my private railroad name. This pretty much limits me to only working with LGB models and a few U S A Trains freight cars, old style wood reefers and boxcars. I call my scale the same as the Model Aircraft Scale, “Stand Off Scale”, which looks correct from a distance, 5-6 feet away. I find modeling this way does keep me modeling and not just running trains, which is the part of the hobby I like best. Remember do what works for you, there is no right, or wrong way.
trainman

He’s been posting in the various Build Challenge threads…

Never heard of the guy myself?
:rooster: