Large Scale Central

Thoughts on Gargrave Track

Looks like the switches are mounted on a plastic base/ties. If it is UV protected it could work good. Assuming you come up with adaptors to line up with your current track.

I wrote to margraves. They told me the photo of the switch track is of their “S” gauge product. “G” scale turnouts look like a normal switch with guard rails etc.

Oh well aren’t they just big teases, lol.

Sorry Dan. But that should not deter you from laying up your own turn outs based on that design and then posting results here…

“Margraves”…?

This gentleman made turnouts similar to the “Margraves” (Gar Graves) S turnouts, in large scale.

http://largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/22072/bouncing-semaphore-signal-simulation/view/post_id/254687

Easy enough to post a picture… from their site. Don’t like the large plastic gap in the frog short wheelbase locos won’t like this.

this is the stainless rail, and 72", although it does not refer to radius specifically, all the other switches are expressed in radius.

Greg

Fred Mills, BSc, BS, SD (Hons) said:

“Margraves”…?

Yea, I know. Or should I say I know now…LOL And the M is not right next to the G on the key board…Oh well, I’m slipping more than I realized

Thats Moky Fan, I mean Dan, I mean Okay… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

Easy enough to post a picture… from their site. Don’t like the large plastic gap in the frog short wheelbase locos won’t like this.

this is the stainless rail, and 72", although it does not refer to radius specifically, all the other switches are expressed in radius.

Greg

I’m not thrilled with the design for use outdoors. My track floats on ballast and Margraves design could be problematical.

Actually the flat bottom might make it BETTER. When you float a switch on a thin layer of ballast, it tends to work under the switch, like when people were trying to put a flat board under a switch, but with ballast, the ballast would eventually work between the switch and board.

I’ve found floating the switches with nothing but ballast underneath to work better.

But, I guess in the end, with that closed design, you would have to use a smaller ballast, it is hard to see how “deep” the “ties” are.

I was looking forwards to seeing how the other design worked.

Gerg… I mean Greg (trying to bait the spelling police ha ha)