Large Scale Central

The clandestine hobby

“There is no mainstream in large scale”

What a great statement! It is all good!

I’ve never been mainstream anyway. No wonder I do Large Scale!

Nope…the laptop lives on the bencgh next to the micro tools…multitasking is a beautiful thing…

In the nearly four years I have been involved with Large scale railroads I have found visiting a Forum or two, or more, has been worthwhile.

In the early states it was a source of learning about the various methods of construction, overcoming issues and learning about the different types of locos and rolling stock that were available. Equally important in this last item was the prices.

In those few years I have made some friends (albeit most at a distance only) and met a few in the UK.

Presently my posts are here or on a well known manufacturers Forum. I peruse, from time to time some of the others. I am now spending more time looking at 1:1 American railroads, particularly those of yesteryear. Magazines like Classic Trains are invaluable I find.

Being retired from full-time paid work allows me to spend more time with this hobby. Mornings are work (unpaid voluntary) and radio. Afternoons are train running times( weather permitting) and I rotate my time between train running sessions and computer periods of short duration. I do have the advantage of seeing my RR from my office window so I can still watch a train even whilst here indoors by the pc. lol

Korm Kormsen said:

… thoughts of a sleepless night. (3 am) - am i the only one, who feels that way?
or is it just because i read and write slowly?

Korm,

I was gonna suggest you take a speed reading course. :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Korm Kormsen said:

… thoughts of a sleepless night. (3 am) - am i the only one, who feels that way?
or is it just because i read and write slowly?

Korm,

I was gonna suggest you take a speed reading course. :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

hey, thats not because i are retarded, man! its just that you all use so many looong words…

Korm -

Going back to your original post, you have a point. This is my post #4000 in about 4.5 years. Perhaps I need a hobby :smiley:

Jim White, aka “the Big Bumper”, aka KMOX AM radio announcer on the Midnight turn used to say, “Never trust a man that doesn’t have at least two hobbies”. Jon you do fit the description of a person that can be trusted.

Jon Radder said:
Korm -

Going back to your original post, you have a point. This is my post #4000 in about 4.5 years. Perhaps I need a hobby :smiley:

congratulations.
but hey! that’s not even three per day!
were you lazy on weekends?

Ralph Berg said:
Victor Smith said:
way off the mainstream.
There is no mainstream in large scale ;) Show us what you're doing. The micro layouts are just as interesting as the others. Ralph
Oh alright Ralph I'll take some pics to bore you with, think I'll have to start a new thread on my latest distraction ;)

Shawn, I saw a big metal tub at Lowes and that was the first thing that crossed my mind :smiley:

I passed a stack of half wine barrels at the local dairy / garden center. Thought for a second of a micro layout. Saw they were $69 each and kept walking. This same joint has Roundup concentrate marked $34.99 - I bought the exact same package at Lowes two days earlier for $17.99.

Stew Leonard’s - America’s Largest Dairy Store - Stew is a master o profiteering.

I was just at the Stew Leonards in Norwalk on Tuesday. Dropped off about 500 rose bushes. Then went on to Cape Cod and then up to Bob’s neck of the woods. I was wonderin what their prices were like as I didn’t get a chance to browse like I usually do.

Victor Smith said:
Ralph Berg said:
Victor Smith said:
way off the mainstream.
There is no mainstream in large scale ;) Show us what you're doing. The micro layouts are just as interesting as the others. Ralph
Oh alright Ralph I'll take some pics to bore you with, think I'll have to start a new thread on my latest distraction ;)

Shawn, I saw a big metal tub at Lowes and that was the first thing that crossed my mind :smiley:

Vic go for it. I would love to see what you come up with. I was thinking of adding a lower level to mine and maybe have it go through the barrel.

Jon Radder said:
I passed a stack of half wine barrels at the local dairy / garden center. Thought for a second of a micro layout. Saw they were $69 each and kept walking. This same joint has Roundup concentrate marked $34.99 - I bought the exact same package at Lowes two days earlier for $17.99.

Stew Leonard’s - America’s Largest Dairy Store - Stew is a master o profiteering.

I got mine at my local tractor supply for around $35 I think Lowes or home depot sells them for around $48 I believe. The wine barrel layout is fun especially in the evening sitting by the campfire with the trains running around.

done - as far as possible. :male_detective: :man_mechanic: