Large Scale Central

The Carrizo Gorge railroad

Vey cool. If those cars were left out like that by me they would have rusted and been ruined by now. That dry desert weather really preserves things.

Ray Dunakin said:
In 2008 the Carrizo Gorge Railway placed an "embargo" on the line. I'm not sure what that means but they've ceased operation, at least for now.
I'm told by my RR buddies that "embargoed" means "not operated but not officially abandoned."

Thanks for the history, Ray. Very interesting.

Steve

I swear I’ve seen those cars off the 8 freeway when I’ve come across from Tucson, and about a year ago saw an old red F unit of some kind going back and forth just outside of Ocotillo along the 8

Embargoed does mean not operated on but not officially abandoned. Yeah the line was always a maintenance headache. The most recent attempt to reopen the line just ran into one bad turn after another. I personally believe the line will only be partially used as part of the local museum train line.

Victor Smith said:
Embargoed does mean not operated on but not officially abandoned. Yeah the line was always a maintenance headache. The most recent attempt to reopen the line just ran into one bad turn after another. I personally believe the line will only be partially used as part of the local museum train line.
A few years back I was driving along I-8 quite regularly. There was a string of hoppers and on engine sitting there by I-8 down by the turn off to Plaster City. I was curious about them. Then one evening I saw a train with the hoppers, a box car and an end bulkead flat heading up the line. One evening I was in Jacumba and saw the string of hoppers moving along the line thru the trees. 2 years ago I was in the area again and the string of hoppers are now up on the line near Jacumba. So the line from the low desert up to Jacumba (and presumably along to the Railroad Museum in Campo) must be passable. There is railroad maintenance area in opperation in Jacumba. Turn north at the only interesection in town and go about 3 blocks. The street ends at the railroad. Some cars, engines and firefighting equipment with railroad wheels in addtion to road tires there when I visited. If I get back down there this spring I'll report on what I observe. The Railroad Museum in Campo is well worth a visit.

I uderstood that the original railroad from San Diego was begun by Spreckles. Back in the days when all “tycoons” had to have their own railroad as a “status symbol”. It never made it to Arizona . . . . :wink:

What a great video! That was fun to watch. Can you imagine how cool a dinner train would be over that line?

Narrow Gauge Lover said:
Victor Smith said:
A few years back I was driving along I-8 quite regularly. There was a string of hoppers and on engine sitting there by I-8 down by the turn off to Plaster City. I was curious about them. Then one evening I saw a train with the hoppers, a box car and an end bulkead flat heading up the line. One evening I was in Jacumba and saw the string of hoppers moving along the line thru the trees. 2 years ago I was in the area again and the string of hoppers are now up on the line near Jacumba. So the line from the low desert up to Jacumba (and presumably along to the Railroad Museum in Campo) must be passable. There is railroad maintenance area in opperation in Jacumba. Turn north at the only interesection in town and go about 3 blocks. The street ends at the railroad. Some cars, engines and firefighting equipment with railroad wheels in addtion to road tires there when I visited. If I get back down there this spring I'll report on what I observe. The Railroad Museum in Campo is well worth a visit.

I uderstood that the original railroad from San Diego was begun by Spreckles. Back in the days when all “tycoons” had to have their own railroad as a “status symbol”. It never made it to Arizona . . . . :wink:

If I recall it was SP that finally connected it with their mainline in Yuma, thus finally fullfilling its aim to be a “transcontinental” rail connection, I havent been to the rail museum yet, just too far for a day trip, maybe one of these days.

Victor Smith said:
Narrow Gauge Lover said:
Victor Smith said:

If I recall it was SP that finally connected it with their mainline in Yuma, thus finally fullfilling its aim to be a “transcontinental” rail connection, I havent been to the rail museum yet, just too far for a day trip, maybe one of these days.

Good for a weekend trip. Go down to Julian and stay at the Julian Hotel. Then make a trip down to see the museum, maybe also the “desert tower”, lots of nice places down in the “back country” of San Diego County. Old Gold mining stuff around Julian, go down in the Eagle Peak Mine, etc.

Julian . . . http://www.drburkholter.com/cf11.html

I am a member of an RV Truck Camper Forum. A fellow member there recently posted a narrative of his trip to the S. Borrego Desert area. Although the main theme of the posting is his desert camping trip, there are lots of very highly detailed pictures of his hike along the Carrizo Gorge RR. In fact they started by camping next to the RR and the first couple of pix are of a water tank. Here is a link:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25732041.cfm

Just be sure to look all the way through the many pix. Lots of great RR stuff!

Hope all desert RRers like this.

Happy RRing,

Jerry

Great pics!
The guy has a great sense of humor as well.

Jerry Bowers said:
I am a member of an RV Truck Camper Forum. A fellow member there recently posted a narrative of his trip to the S. Borrego Desert area. Although the main theme of the posting is his desert camping trip, there are lots of very highly detailed pictures of his hike along the Carrizo Gorge RR. In fact they started by camping next to the RR and the first couple of pix are of a water tank. Here is a link:

Happy RRing,

Jerry

Wife and I loved your story. It reminded us of our trips with our camper back in the late 70 when we first got married. She never been out camping in the boon docks in her life.
So we did a lot of exploring in Ca and Nev. Places that had to use chain and binder to get our Veh. around in places. But, hey like you no one has been around these places where we went in our time.
Sure wish we had good cameras then like they have out there now… Most of our stuff was 8 mm cam.
There is so much history in the desert and Mt’s.
Now to old to get out like that anymore, so really enjoyed your link.
Tk again for sharing. Noel & Jane

Great pics, and enjoyable, humorous post.

You might want to let him know that those “track tensioner/thingamajiggies” are actually flange lubers. As the wheels of a train pass over it, the motion works a pump that forces a small amount of grease onto the flanges, which reduces wear on the tight curves.

BTW, that old water tower is the prototype for my In-ko-pah RR water tower. Sad to see how much more vandalism has been inflicted on it in the past few years.

Jerry Bowers said:

Happy RRing,

Jerry

Thanks for posting the link. This was better than many dedicated railroad posts I’ve seen just for the railroad parts alone. A very enjoyable photo story and narrative all the way through. I’m a Wahzoo fan for sure now. :slight_smile:

I thought it was great. Especially liked the inside of the trestle picks.

Jerry . . . thanks for posting the link to that fellows hike along the rail line. Fantastic ! I’m going to be down that way next week.

I was down in San Diego County recently and visited in Jacumba ( Friday 3-2) and Campo ( Sat. 3-3 ) Pictures posted up in the “Railfanning” area page 61. In Jacumba turn on Railroad St. and go a couple of blocks to the tracks where some equipment is stored on sidings. Much equipment in the museum yard in Campo. You can wander thru most of the yard area. I rode the excursion train ( diesel switcher pushing / pulling two passenger coaches ) the 6 miles to the west which ends at the tunnel that goes into Mexico. Another diesel was just recently offered by the Marine base at Camp Pendleton. However it will have to be trucked in as there is presently no rail access to the museum. A tunnel in Mexico collapsed some years ago closing access from the west and a trestle near Campo is in bad shape preventing access from the east. I’d think they’d bring it over rail from the east and just leave it on the sidings in Jacumba for the present ? Just my thoughts. A very interesting museum to visit if you ever get down into eastern S. Diego county. The big S.P steam engine needs and unaffordable boiler to ever operate. The 2-8-2 tank engine is hopefully to be put into operation in the future.

Nice pictures.
The SP sure looks good. Too bad it needs a boiler.
It would be cool if they would trade/sell it to an organization that could repair it.
Ralph

Where is the “railfanning area” page 61?

Found it! Photo Gallery under railfanning. Duh…

Link?

At the top of the LSC forum pages find Photo Gallery–>Railfanning–>Page 61–>NGL’s pix start with the third picture on the second row.

–OR–

Here is a direct link to the first of NGL’s pix:

http://www.largescalecentral.com/gallery/index.php?level=picture&id=4781

Then use the “Next” button to see more.

Happy RRing,

Jerry