Large Scale Central

Suggestions for this storage area

I don’t have much experience with the K as I only had one here once, but it’s much bigger than the C-19, especially on curves.

If you have the track now set the locos on some curve track on a piece of plywood or cardboard and mark with a sharpie to get your clearances right before you start building things. I am a big fan of graph paper and pencils to work out design. And lots of erasers!

Here is my current idea. Most curves are 8’ diameter except the right one which is 10’. I have 10 engines and want them all to be stored on track. And want to be able to run them in a circle still inside. I’m not really trying to set it up for ops but will obviously be creating and changing consists and who knows for the future. I’m still playing with another approach. The one place where the track cuts the corner of the wall, I will be talking to the builder to see if we can shave that corner since it’s actually a cement wall (walk out basement) to a 45. If not the I just slid the whole thing to the right. Give me your input and/or issues you see with this approach.

Looking good. That short anguular track at the top left corner might end up being too short to be much good. Try moving it to the end of the upper ladder then extend both tracks as far as possible.

Will this be open in the center? If so, a curved folding or lift-out on the main line curve far left might be a good idea. Duck under passages get old quickly!

That short one will be for caboose. Greg suggested it in something of his I read and figured might as well. It’s about 18” so could also park a geared loco too. I know I can also add another switch for another parking but they keep getting shorter and the main thing is I’m trying to keep the plywood reach down to no more than 3’. Yes the plan is for the center to be open. I will have a fold up section on the right in that curve.