Large Scale Central

Stupid house

Boy do I hear that. I have labels like “Parler”, “Kitchen Radio” and the like. for areas that I have done work on and traced out the wiring I have kept diagrams.

Good luck. Sounds like something burned open fast enough to make noise and not trip the breaker.

A friend of mine at church has a wire toner that I can borrow so hopefully I can use that to trace and figure it out. Nothing critical just more annoying.

1 Like

I think I would try a NEW SWITCH FIRST ( the one your wife turned on and heard the pop) If it’s only a switch tail and depending on how you tested it for power it might not show power if it’s just a tail. Just because it shows continuity with a meter doesn’t mean that it’s working “Under Load”.

Next you could pull that motion light for a look. The way to usually reset a motion sensor is by turning off the power to the light and waiting a few seconds then turn the power back on. Perhaps the switch tail feeds off that light but it doesn’t explain why that light would be on. Finally never rule out the neutral side either. However I’m no electrician so what ever you do proceed with caution.

1 Like

About 2 years ago a buddy of mine saw a box of old gas light parts at a yard sale and the lady said : “Honey nobody wants that stuff anymore”. He said: " I know someone that would like that stuff" …she said give me $25 for the box. So over the last few months I started digging through the box and made some stuff outta stuff!
I unseized, unsoldered , unscrewed, cleaned them , drilled out the old gas valves and reducers then pulled 18 gauge wire through them (not easily). Purchased about $150 worth of reproduction fancy brass fitters,sockets,couplings, etc. and making wall lamps out of them.
Didn’t want to spend money on heavy brass backplates and the cheezy ones won’t hold the load so I came up with a Rooster solution (door knob rosettes) as the pictures show on the back plate ($5…99 for a 2 pack) … :rofl:

I now have 2 working wall lamps and 3 more in progress.

Ghetto (Mik) building by

:rooster:

I did by new glass shades to match what I already have in the house. But I got 3 old ones in the $25 box I could sell or keep ?

Rooster last night I tried to quickly test the bare leads into the switch and got nothing. I’ll figure it out hopefully. Next week is spring break anyways so it gives me something to do as if I don’t already had a to do list.

Edit: I replaced the switch and still nothing. Ran the volt meter and found .4 v running through the circuit. Went down the line to the next switch and saw the same .4 v. Something is messed up for sure. I’m wondering if there’s a J box in the attic that something.

But if there was a short, I would think it would trip the breaker?

I feel your pain Craig. Chasing electrical problems is never fun. You will get it eventually.

As for me no floor got put down. I ran into a snag. The fridge barely fit under the cabinet with the old floor. So I knew the height of the floor was going to cause an issue. So I cut the bottom face of the cabinet flush with the bottom of the cabinet hoping that would gain me enough. Nope. Close but no cigar. So had to do some surgery on the cabinet and raise the bottom of it 1". Now I have more than enough room. But that meant also cutting the doors down. Filled all the old holes in everything so i can remount the hardware.

When I work on things Elect. I will mark say the plug with the circuit # so next time I know were the power comes from.

1 Like

To add to the strangeness, my wife informed me after I go home last night from an operation session that the boys somehow managed to turn on the lights for a short time.

Sounds like there’s a loose connection somewhere, but where…

1 Like

Is this a 3-way (2 location) switch by chance? I’ve got a pair that has a yet to be uncovered problem. On and Off works at one end, but only off works at the other end. I’m sure it’s s broken traveler wire somewhere, but I’ve not been motivated to chase it down.

I didn’t think it was a 3 way switch (so I just bought normal switches to replace), but it very well could be a 3 way. I do have a random light switch by the exterior garage door that I have no idea what it goes to, and then this switch between the house and the garage. Guess I’ll be stopping after work and getting a set of 3 ways switches and seeing if I can’t figure it out. A loose or broken traveler wire seems to make sense.

If that 3 way switch is the first set in the exterior light series, that shouldn’t in theory effect the other lights, but a loose ground could? I got a wire tracer from my friend so hopefully I can trace down wires. Ironically its also motivating me to add a couple more fixtures in the garage.

I just went through this at my mom’s house, replacing a 3-way switch. They the hot and travelers mismatched, so I had to bring out the tester and debug it.

2 Likes

Craig,
If the old switch has 3 terminals on it (minus ground) then it’s a 3 way. Other wise it’s a standard single pole switch.

1 Like

Figured it out with the help of a tracer.

It was a 3 way switch but it the switch set a certain way also fed the other lights on the circuit. It was wired really strange. I basically traced each wire set and then rewired it to make sense and work. Some how ended up with 2 extra wire nuts and a short piece of wire… I don’t know the guy or gal that wired it originally but I don’t think I would have figured it out without tracing.

Because I traced it back to the breaker, I was able to pop the break out and reseat it and reset it. Once I did that the power wasn’t interment and I was able to rewire everything one piece at a time.

Since I have my friends tracer I’m tempted to check outlets etc and trace to the breaker and label.

Good plan. That’s what I always liked about doing my own building I knew where every nail, screw, wire, light and screw-up was located :smiley:

1 Like

I’m used to ending up with extra bolts or screws on a car repair but this is the first time I’ve ended an electric repair job with 2 wire nuts and a short piece of wire…

Well all I can say is that while I am not setting any land speed records, I certainly am not Devoning my kitchen project. Floors are going in.

But as usual another set back and the fridge is dying. So tonight after work I am going to go buy a new fridge. Wasnt part of the remodel plan but I guess it is now.

Kitchen remodel is looking great, Devon. Love the epoxy countertops and the floor. Your cabinet man did an excellent job. Kudos to him :grin: Hate to hear about the icebox, they are quite expensive these days.

Been doing a little work on our house recently myself. In preparation for our son’s wedding that will take place at our home in May of '25, Herself has given me a laundry list of projects she wants completed. First up is replacing the decking on our 20+ year old deck and new granite countertops in the kitchen.

I’ll put the details in another thread so as not to distract from your hard work.

1 Like

That cabinet guy was a good find. He does decent work and doesn’t mind being paid in bourbon. Although I did tip him the other night with bottle of Basil Hayden Rye.

That’s a pretty nice tip.

1 Like

In my saga of garage lights, I decided since I was playing with wire I might as well add a couple more cheap screw in bulb locations. Cut a slightly too large 4" hole that the remodel box didn’t quite fix into. So I figured I have 2 6" recessed led lights leftover (and saving for the hallway) I might as well make the hole 6"… Cut the next one 6" and figured well I still have the remodel box… and cut a 3rd hole. Yep slightly too big. Off to the store to buy a pack of LED recessed lights. But now the garage right above my workbench and the chest freezer is well lite! And I still have 2 remodel boxes waiting for slightly smaller than a 4" hole. I think I’ll cut them in at 3 3/4+ and go from there. I’m pretty sure the drywall circle cutter isn’t exactly round.

1 Like