Large Scale Central

Steam powered furnace blower

We’ve camped there a number of times. EBT is just 30 minutes North of there on 522. Weekend excursion schedule begins May 5.

1 Like

Yes, but did you guys get their skillet corn bread !

No, but we have used their site milled flour for pancakes and bread. They are great folks.

Is there another kind???

So back from vacation. I have all of the parts for the blower printed and ready for assembly. I have the boiler all designed and will begin printing it this weekend.

1 Like

That is a rally neat track side detail.

Great job on the design, Devon. Especially using just a few photos and no dimensions. Look forward to seeing the printed version.

So here are the parts and pieces for the blower ready for a little clean up painting and assembly.

Todd,
Not a trackside detail I ever imagined having. Just not at all an industry in my neck of the woods. But the beat part of a fictional railroad is you can make up whatever you want. So this will be a fun little industry on a siding I had no real use for.

Dan,
I think its coming out pretty good considering I really have no idea about such things.

2 Likes

Done with the actual blower.

4 Likes

HAH!!
That’s freaking awesome and you learned something along with a new interest as well! NOW I really want to go measure it! This fall for sure if not before.

1 Like

This is a fun project. Making the model is fun but the learning was the best part. Something completely foreign and new to me. But now I have an interesting piece certain not to many people in Idaho will have on their layout.

I was talking to the wife about this project and where its going. And I think I will make a complete scene with not just the furnace but a small building and some scattered details and hopefully a siding track not only to the furnace but one that goes above so I can use a tipper car to feed it. It will certainly be a fun little area.

Thanks for the challenge Rooster.

1 Like

Plan to heavily weather it yet. I want it to look like its been there awhile and maybe a little neglected but still in service.

Kind of a late in life to start learning. Even us Alabama rednecks start learning at least by the time we are 30 :joy::rofl:. I guess better late than never :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Well done my friend … :cowboy_hat_face:

Excellent work, Devon.

Having some internet issues. But the boiler is ready to print once I can connect long enough to retrieve it from the cloud.

I want to go sift some rock to make the furnace and base for the boiler. We have a lot of nice thin shale like rock that is very thin and angular close to where I live. I want to use Jim Rowson’s/Ray Duniken’s rock wall method to create them. I think that method will lend itself well to finish off this build.

So I am back up and running. Boiler parts are starting to print. I collected some nice thin flat rock chips to make the boiler furnace, the part that the boiler sits on to heat it up. Will use the Dunakin/Rowsen method to form it up.

Hopefully here shortly I will have that all done.

First part of the boiler came out of the printer looking great. Next section printing.

Looking forward to seeing the results, Devon.

The second of the two main boiler sections are done and came out great. The top piece and the associated hardware are printing now. Should be able to assemble the boiler and have it finished by this weekend. Then I can start forming up the boiler rock work/furnace. And then the big part will be the rock main furnace.