Large Scale Central

Steam Generator cars for passenger trains

As to those high brakes, I had to secure a loaded coal train that stalled while coming down the mountain into Altoona. I had to climb twenty hoppers to manually tied down the high hand brakes. First few weren’t bad, but by the time I reached the twentieth one, I was pooped. Course, the 100+ degree weather didn’t help any!

Fred, Aristo’s E8’s are supposedly equipped, but I can’t verify that.

When I was planning to build the Freedom Central’s Office Car train, I obtained a couple FB units for conversion into HEP cars. I have however switched to modeling the Norfolk Southern train, complete with A-B-A F units. Since the F units were retrofitted with HEP generators before NS got them, The NS power cars rarely get used, however that’s not removed them from the roster. When they go to events with extended stays with no land power, the power car(s) go to provide trainline power since they are more fuel efficient than the engines (so I’ve been told) but also because the F units still retain their original fuel tanks and running HEP would eventually drain them. I beleive they are equipped with 1500galon tanks versus the SD40-2s which have 3000+ gallons, the DASH-9’s which have approximately 4000gal and the UP DD40X which has a whooping 8,000 gallon tank!

I’m considering retaining one of my FB’s to build a new power car for the train, just to add some spice, but also to provide a battery car for the passenger train. The second A unit will carry batteries for the engines.

Well; with all the rain; I have been again in the shop, looking at several projects.

So; the steam generator cars are once again, front and centre. I finally found a “Simulated” Port Hole window…guess where…the bottom of a restaurant butter cup…never know where you can find what you are looking for !!\

I have reworked the old Lionel plug door box cars, and cut the underframes to make it easy to mount the Kadee 1906 couplers. I have also fabricated a large underframe water tank for the water supply…a piece of brass/copper pipe, with ends that were made from styrene, that will support it. I was going to use it as weight, but I changed my mind and will add flat weights inside the body. I did secure the under body “Boxes” that the cars came with, so they don’t rattle about.

The B’mann passenger trucks fit well, but the car still sits high. I’ll try to hide that with the underframe junk, and a strip of styrene along the bottom of the body sides. The roofs have been relieved of the roof walks, and the brake wheels will be lowered.

I decided to fabricate one “Man-door” for each car, and retain the plug doors, for maintenance of the “Innards” of the cars. I think I will use one of the small port holes for each man-door.

Thanks to today’s rain, I have moved ahead with this project. I might even have the two cars ready for the operations at the 2015 Invasion of Friends.

I might even take them to the Finger Lakes, Monday, Passenger operations, just to complicate their planning…!!!

I’ll try to get pictures taken after the paint is applied…I don’t do pictures, so, I’m at the mercy of friends…

Oh yes…there is some stuff to add to the roof…vents, small tanks, and pipework…any junk that might add to the carman’s problems, when maintaining the beasts…!!

Fred Mills

That “Book” doesn’t have any pictures in it…so none of the contents ever happened…

But…by gar, I put in a full afternoon working on those dash-durned Steam Generator cars, and I know it happened…!!!

Fred Mills, BSc, BS, SD (Hons) said:

That “Book” doesn’t have any pictures in it…so none of the contents ever happened…

Good answer !

Fred Mills, BSc, BS, SD (Hons) said:

But…by gar, I put in a full afternoon working on those dash-durned Steam Generator cars, and I know it happened…!!!

Wouldn’t it be much easier to just convert the cars to HEP instead of trying to find parts for outdated equipment

Rooster, but but, steam power is a proven technology.

We seem to have enough ultra hot air, to heat water for steam, so we use what we have…!!!

Fred, now isn’t that the best way? Use whatca gots, instead of spending money on something else.

…Yes, up to a point, David M.

I like to make things, but I also like to, as you say, “Use what you got”. There is a point where, if a part is available, use it rather than re-invent the wheel.

Just like my use of the old Lionel plug door box cars. I finally got around to putting them next to an Aristo heavy weight car. The "Steam Generator will look fine when finished, but I have done a bit of lowering, as it appeared too high. By filling up the under-body space with a large tank, and after the Kadee’s are mounted, a bit of filling in around the shims, will visually lower the car to an exceptable level.

The next challenge, for me is to make up the “Simulated” man-doors. I’ve never been very good at making doors, but I’ll make one hell of an effort at it. The trick is to try to simulate David Russel’s vision, using my eyes, to get the doors done in the “Just right” size, to make them believable…!!

Fred Mills

Fred, or you could try and copy the end doors on the heavyweights. I mean for width and height, you know, the overall dimensions.

I have finally finished the pair of cars. They are painted but not yet lettered. I have sent some pictures to several of the guys, with the hope that one of them will post them to this thread…soon.

Fred Mills

Thank you, David…most appreciated…

Fred

Very neat Fred!