Large Scale Central

Source for scale lumber?

Might as well buy a higher quality thickness sander from Byrnes instead of the MircoMark knockoff. And it’s cheaper too ($350).

https://www.byrnesmodelmachines.com/sander5.html

Thanks Craig. That is a very nice machine. WANT!!

I use Cedar as well, but generally don’t need to pay for it. At work we buy 4x4 and 5x5 Western Red Cedar in a grade they call Sound Tight Knots (STK) for high end sign posts. Quite regularly when I need 10 footers, they only have 12’s in stock, Gee, what am I gonna do with a two foot piece of Cedar?? Well, at the moment a have four chunks keeping my boat trailer’s wheels off the ground!

While the STK Cedar is nice, I still have not used up my supply of old wooden signs. I can’t be certain of the wood, but the grain is very tight. Could be Redwood, or real quality Cedar. It mills up to some very sturdy scale lumber.

I use a really cheap Craftsman table saw with an 80 tooth blade to mill the wood. A home brew Zero Clearance Throat Plate is a must. Because the saw is cheap, the fence is not real accurate. I need to take a lot of time fine tuning it to get acceptable results. I still fail about 50% of the time trying to mill planks with even thickness. That thickness sander would really improve my output!

Thanks for that link Craig. I had not heard of these guys before. that does look like a nice machine. I see one of these in my future.

After watching the video thats a nifty machine. I like that you can actually load it with two different grits at 3" which for scale lumber would be great. and the price is certainly reasonable.

Devon & Jon,
If the thickness sander is any quality like the table saw, it’s well worth the price. I’ve had the table saw for about 3 years now and absolutely love it. Out of the box, I cut within a .007" of my line. I’m better now and can cut a slice of .005".

When I ordered my saw I had a custom 18" table built, but since then he’s now offering that as a regular thing.

The thickness sander is on my wish list for sure after I finish getting the rest of the table saw accessories.