Large Scale Central

Simulating V grooves for tonuge and groove

I honestly think the results you are/were after Jon can be accomplished with a cheap plastic ball point pen. Especially in something as soft as cedar.

that pattern is being made with a V bit?

I don’t want to doubt you but I am having a hard time seeing how a bit like this can make any sort of flat bottom. And in that picture it looks flat. That looks like the profile you would get from a straight bit. Like I said I don’t want to doubt what your saying but it aint making sense to me.

I actually completely agree with this comment. As Bob mentioned in the other post a panel scribe would do it. And you can make one of those dang easy with a dowel, a block of wood with a hole drilled in it and a nail drove through the end. The nail would put a v groove.

Yes, but it is only half of the V. I was surprised at the result as well.

I believe that because I am only using the very tip, that it doesn’t have a chance to form the V.

@Rooster - I agree. Remember Shorty? That was sided with 6mm PVC and I scribed the lines with a dull pointed tool. I’m not sure why I used the exacto at all. Should have just used the rounded back side of Grandma’s nail tool :smirk:

Oh I remember your Shorty and mine as well! He pissed on Kens K27 carrier!

:grinning:

It makes killer victorian era trim though

Note the RR out the door… :wink:

Bump for post count!

Zoom in on that last picture. Notice the bottom of the groove is not a sharp V, but somewhat rounded. Now imagine using that bit to remove less than .5mm. I think you will get very close to what I got.

And Roo - You da man making moulding on a router. With all the trim you needed a shaper. Custom bit would probably run you $300, but you could sell to millwork!

1 Like

Jon i see what you are saying. And since I have never even thought to examine it that close I can see now how you didn’t get the results you expected.

And yes rooster it can make some killer trim lol.

@JRad If you use a collet reducer and an 1/8" bit like this you should be able to get the desired result.

Thanks Dan. I have a plunge router adapter for my Dremel and a few bits. I think they are 1/8" as well. I didn’t think it was worth the effort for just one door.

1 Like