Large Scale Central

Simple reverse loops with DCC

Greg, that sounds cool. Its almost like someone thought things through when they designed it. I didn’t know such things existed. I admit it.

It would appear that depending on your set-up, the wiring for the PSX could be more involved than the LGB set-up. Funny how this wasn’t noted by Greg.

And while it may send the command to drive a tortoise mechanism, it doesnt actually “drive the switch” (i.e., move the points) like the LGB mechanism that moves the points also takes care of the current with the add-on dpdt.

FROM PSX web site regarding its use for reverse loops:

Notes

1. Long lengths of wire or track on a layout can have large values of series inductance.
  2. Series inductance acts in a manner to inhibit the flow of the DCC current (similar to too much resistance).
  3. Sufficiently high values of series inductance (long wiring runs) can prevent the proper operation of breakers and reversers because the series inductance limits the DCC current to a value below the trip setting even with a hard short circuit. It can also distort the DCC waveform causing erroneous decoder operation.
  4. The effects of series inductance can be limited on long wiring runs by tightly bundling the feed and return wires together. Lamp cord and speaker wire are two examples of two wires bundled tightly together. Individual wires can also be bundled together by physically grouping them correctly and then binding them with a cable tie every 4 inches. The smaller the spaces between the wires the better.
  5. Reverse loops are a special case since the wires must be tightly bundled together for both polarities of the reverser. See the drawing for the proper method of wiring a long reverse loop.

And this doesn’t bode well, especially for one who has problems just downloading a schematic:

Caution: The user should generally not use other values for CV65. Mis-setting it could cause the breaker to self-destruct by delaying the reverse/break action too long.

If a user has a problem, he can use CV65 to finetune things with our direction, although this generally will not be necessary.

1. you normally locate the PSX-AR right at the location of the insulators between the main line and the reversing loop. 2 wires to the main line and 2 wires to the reversing loop. I cannot fathom how it could be simpler, or you could make such a statement.

2. through 5 see #1, with wires about 12 inches long max, it is not an issue.

So it looks like you are working hard to bring up problems virtually no one has. I have a star wiring setup, so the feed to the reversing loop is no longer than if it was not there. I realize what is on the site, many HO layouts have long wires and a lot of wires (switches, signals) and parallel runs can be a consideration.

And CV 65 is rarely played with so this is also a non issue. I have installed many of these units on Z, HO and G scales, no issues.

Todd, are you being helpful or defending your solution by attacking a well known solution?

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

1. you normally locate the PSX-AR right at the location of the insulators between the main line and the reversing loop. 2 wires to the main line and 2 wires to the reversing loop. I cannot fathom how it could be simpler, or you could make such a statement.

2. through 5 see #1, with wires about 12 inches long max, it is not an issue.

So it looks like you are working hard to bring up problems virtually no one has. I have a star wiring setup, so the feed to the reversing loop is no longer than if it was not there. I realize what is on the site, many HO layouts have long wires and a lot of wires (switches, signals) and parallel runs can be a consideration.

And CV 65 is rarely played with so this is also a non issue. I have installed many of these units on Z, HO and G scales, no issues.

Todd, are you being helpful or defending your solution by attacking a well known solution?

Greg

1 - 5 are from their site, not of my doing. I just pasted it here, so take it up with them.

You felt the need to point out any wiring issues with the LGB set-up, even though apparently you didn’t understand it. And, I would bet there are far more of those than dcc reversers in use. (BTW, wiring could be saved by using a common rail.)

I was just returning the favor. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Perhaps the OP/others hadn’t come upon these caveats and just maybe his/their proposed wiring is similar to what they note on their site. Do you know how he intends to wire it up? It would seem so.

What I often go back to is if I can think it, I can probably do it (within the confines of the reality of the situation) whether Model RR or computer stuff. In large scale, it seems power requirements tend to make things more tricky than HO or N. When the weather gets better around here, I’m going to build a mock up version of a dogbone on my deck and see what happens. I will keep in mind the distance issue from the insulated track-thanks for that info Greg. The basic version of the PSX-AR can be wired up like my MRC reversers according to the schematic. It also has a place to add screw in terminals that will run a tortoise switch machine (which has been hangin out in my extras for years). I was hoping not to have to use it as the LGB info explained that the engine could throw the switch. What I’m hoping is to put my Shay on a dogbone with reverse loops on each end connected to PSX-AR’s and let it run continuously without doing anything but watch it go around- hands free. “Keep It Simple Stupid” (KISS) should be my RR motto, maybe I should put Gene Simmons in my profile picture.

Todd, all I’m doing here is wallowing in the mud with you.

To even suggest common rail in a DCC setup and to continually fight over wires, and then throw insults like I don’t understand the LGB diagram is unnecessary.

As I have done in MLS, permanently blocking your responses so I don’t even see them, I will no longer respond to you or acknowledge any posts from you.

All you want to do is fight, you don’t give a damn about really helping.

Greg

p.s. Phil, please address further questions to me by personal email, I’m no longer responding on this thread, where it can benefit others. Good job Todd.

Greg Elmassian said:

Todd, all I’m doing here is wallowing in the mud with you.

To even suggest common rail in a DCC setup and to continually fight over wires, and then throw insults like I don’t understand the LGB diagram is unnecessary.

As I have done in MLS, permanently blocking your responses so I don’t even see them, I will no longer respond to you or acknowledge any posts from you.

All you want to do is fight, you don’t give a damn about really helping.

Greg

p.s. Phil, please address further questions to me by personal email, I’m no longer responding on this thread, where it can benefit others. Good job Todd.

Oh Boy somebody call Whine 11 cause we need an wambulance. Phil you will find Greg’s website with his e-mail address at the bottom of every post here on Large Scale Central.

Edit: because I read this twice before responding

Well, sorry for such disagreement. I can say that by reading the info from both Greg and Todd and further pursuing the topic online , I have learned quite a bit. I accessed the DCC Specialties site on the issue of wiring long loops (inductance) that Todd Brody wrote about and it describes how to resolve any problem here when using the PSX-AR. Not too difficult and now, knowing what I know when I try it out, if something goes wrong I have a backup plan. Greg’s site has been very helpful in giving me an idea of where I want to go with Large Scale DCC. My tech knowledge has increased greatly over the last few weeks and find myself drawn to a topic that I’ve avoided for years. I feel I have been pushed in a good direction in spite of some contention.