Large Scale Central

SHASTA PACIFIC 3.0

Well with the finishing of the Ships Chandler building Bayside is complete. When I first started this project I wasn’t sure it would be worth the effort for such a small area but I am pleased with the way this little whistle stop location turned out.

The pictures of the completed project.

Thanks for taking a look.

On to the next project.

1 Like

Looks great, Rick. The lower level gives it a great feel.

I agree with Jim. The dock level adds a lot of interest.

What did you use for the block wall? I like the look/texture.

Wow Rick I love the lower level, it gives it so much more character, GREAT JOB

Dennis

Thanks guys.

Jon, the block walls were made from 1" extruded foam sheet building insulation.

Rick Marty said:

Thanks guys.

Jon, the block walls were made from 1" extruded foam sheet building insulation.

So you carved them. Very nice work. Been there, done that and know how tedious it can be. I’ve used pink foam before I had access to hdu which needs to be worked a little harder.

Nice touch with the pilings Rick. Well done area

Rick, beautiful work, the Seagulls add to the nautical theme.

A new water tank for the Shasta Pacific, you can see the details here https://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/30811/poc-tank-rescue/view/post_id/408358

1 Like

Nice work all around! Echoing others, the “seaside” level extension of your chandlery and crab shack really, really adds depth to the scene!

We were out early this morning, before it got hot, running some trains.

Here are a few pictures of No.9 dragging a string of empty log cars through Bayside.

1 Like

Now that the sawmill area is nearly complete I can get a few other small projects for the railroad done.

This one involves a couple of old Don Winter passenger car kits. When Don sold his business to Phil and sold off all excess parts and pieces he told me he had kits for a couch and combine and I could have them both for very cheap. Well I bought them and stuck them on a storage shelf in the shop and like a lot of other things there they sat for 20 plus years.

I decided recently that it was time to build them as I had an idea for the combine. I then found out why they were let go for cheap. The 2 kits contained parts from at least 4 different kits but there was enough pieces to cobble together a combine and a couch. With enough pieces left over to build another short car of some kind.

Don was never known for supplying an excess of information/instructions or photos to build by so with these assorted pieces it was an interesting challenge. Plus the couch body had been partially assembled, incorrectly as it turned out. I ended up cutting both car bodies down to 18-19 inches to make them more compatible with my other rolling stock.

A few pictures of the Crummy
Crummy-- definition from the Logger’s Lexicon.
" A railroad car, station wagon or bus that transports men to and from work in the woods. Originally a transportation car on a railroad. So-called because of it’s usual condition."

I changed the side doors to slide on the outside because they went to something else and wouldn’t fit inside. This way it looks like a coach body that they cobbled a door onto.

The saw and ax racks are on both sides of the car.

A couple of close-ups.

One of the crew had to deface the sign to add a little humor.

The coach is almost finished, I will add a few pictures of it when done.
Thanks for taking a look.

6 Likes

Wow, Rick, that’s the nicest Crummy I’ve ever seen! I love the axe and saw racks. And the saws are awesome.

The couch is completed and in operation

5 Likes

Nice. I have several passenger car kits from Don’s estate, plus a TON of sides and ends for the kits he was investigating, like the various business cars. I really should start building them.

What a Slacker … :laughing::kissing_smiling_eyes:

We got the railroad cleaned up and operational for the coming season so had a couple of friends come by and we spent Friday morning finding all the glitches in the track and trying to remember how the operation should go preparing for the mid June open run days.

Just the bare minimum of structures out so far and tape tags locating depots, water tanks, etc.
But we still had a lot of fun.

4 Likes

Holy Cow !

What Sean said!

====================

Rick, I’ve just been enjoying scrolling through this thread again, wow, “epic” is the word! So many great stories in it.

About your last pic, wow your wharf scene is gorgeous! That bridge came from Dick Smith, right? Seems like your “water” is holding up great, do you cover it against the elements? And your little depot-hotel thingy, seems a tad larger than a Piko kit, where’d that come from again? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :innocent: :stuck_out_tongue: