Large Scale Central

Rocky Mountaineer

Not the thread topic, but if any of you ever go to Burlington, Vermont, be sure to book the dinner train. It’s a lovely and fun ride.

Regards, David Meashey

Trying to figure out what I said wrong , maybe because I’m tired I don’t see the joke, . What I meant is in a bedroom the bed would be like laying in the back seat of a car feet and head 90* from direction of travel so a different motion and rocking feeling than riding in a roomette. Anyway I have read it all again and still missing the joke .

Me too, though the Canadian antics are fun.

Amtrak superliner Bedrooms are set for sleeping across the car, not along the direction of travel.

Sorry for being vague, Pete! You did me a great favor by pointing out that the bedroom beds are perpendicular to the line of travel.

What I meant was now I foresee the discussion resulting when one of us rolls out of the top bunk at a station stop… And since now that I know about the issue in advance, it’ll be my fault! :grinning:

But, I warned Linda, so we’ll both be prepared, haha!! :grin:

Yeah well if it wasn’t for :rooster: you would have booked coach on Amtrak overnight !

1 Like

If anyone really wants an accurate, honest review of what TRANSCONTINENTAL travel on the VIARAIL “Canadian” is like as recently reported by an honest Traveller; I’ll forward the link to you…just send me a request at [email protected] and I’ll send the links to you.
It does compare the Rocky Mountaineer with “The Canadian”…showing pictures of meals, and lineside sights. I have travelled the Canadian a number of times, but this guy tells it the way it is…highly recommended.
Fred Mills

Also, there’s the Royal Canadian Pacific, starting at a mere $14k CAD / person. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Fred,

We’ve done the Indian Pacific and the Ghan, but I suspect your scenery is much more exciting.

• Can you hop on and off, or are the runs sporadic? Is there a rail pass?

• Do they run in winter or autumn?

• is there a preferred side to sit on? North vs South?

The Via Rail “Canadian” runs three times a week each way, between Toronto, Ontario, and Vancouver British Columbia. 12 months of the year.

It offers three classes of travel, between “Prestige Class”, and Coach.
Send me your email address and I’ll send you a link to one of the best reviews I’ve seen in years.
Fred Mills [email protected]

Most people can afford to travel on Via Rail…great food and accommodation…
You can easily go to the VIA RAIL web page and get all the information, but the links I can send give a good picture of what the actual trip is like…NO, I’m not trying to sell anything…just trying to pass on knowledge that travel agents don’t give.

Fred Mills

1 Like

Thanks for letting me share these links, Fred.

-Bill

They have safety straps that look like seatbelts to keep you contained in case of a hard stop, but all the train I have been on they are quite smooth with the brakes and with the throttle when leaving the station, it is almost like they slam the throttle to Notch8 and the momentum module kicks in and it is as smooth as silk, your doing 80mp
Oh and just to make one more thing more clear, roomettes there a restroom in the upper and lower levels but not in the individual rooms. There is a shower on the lower level of Superliners .